Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
261 - 280 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
As he should. Goodbye Toyota warranty person.

That denial was a disgrace. If there is no evidence of engine mistreatment or modifications causing a damage then FIX IT UNDER WARRANTY.

I mean, they have RACING in their name, so don't give is bull if we use GR cars in some grass roots fun track events.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Where do people think “open lapping” at a track falls on this spectrum of ok or not ok?
Ok as long as you are not competing in any shape, form, or way. If you as so much as mention timing vs other cars on track it could be viewed as racing, only ever post times against yourself.

Reactions: fujibo6zn8

·
Registered
GR86 6AT. Halo White pearl
66 Posts
Ok as long as you are not competing in any shape, form, or way. If you as so much as mention timing vs other cars on track it could be viewed as racing, only ever post times against yourself.
100%, this to me makes sense, and Toyota should be very clear that this is what "Racing" is. HPDE is clearly non-timed and non-competitve, and provides classes and an instructor in your vehicle to learn how to control your care in a safe environment

·
Registered
139 Posts
So, I have a 2023 BRZ on order. Estimated delivery November. I have a VON but no VIN. Does anyone know if this issue has been, or will be resolved at the factory? If not, I may be reconsidering my purchase. :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
So, I have a 2023 BRZ on order. Estimated delivery November. I have a VON but no VIN. Does anyone know if this issue has been, or will be resolved at the factory? If not, I may be reconsidering my purchase. :(
I dont think we have any news yet. On delivery ask them to scope inside the pan to see if there are excessive amount of rtv seeping inside the pan.

Could always go to your trusted mechanic shop to reseal the pan, usually cheaper than Subaru service shop. And make sure to have a conversation with them if that would void your warranty on certain part of the engine.

·
Registered
GR86 6AT. Halo White pearl
66 Posts
Is this an issues that arrives with the problem or develops over time?
So far it seems the first 86 owner that was affected caused failure at 13k miles, and I have another video of 22 gr86 owner pull out excess at 4k miles. Those are the only 2 I have heard of personally, but there are others, but I dont recall what mileage they were at

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm at 7k miles and just had my oil pan scoped by a reputable independent shop that specializes in the twins. They didn't find anything concerning in the pan, filter, or on the dipstick, but couldn't get the scope into the pickup tube itself. Now that Toyota has somewhat clarified the warranty terms, I'm not going to worry about it. I did send off an oil sample to Blackstone to get baseline numbers to compare with future oil changes.

EDIT: Build date is 12/21.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm at 7k miles and just had my oil pan scoped by a reputable independent shop that specializes in the twins. They didn't find anything concerning in the pan, filter, or on the dipstick, but couldn't get the scope into the pickup tube itself. Now that Toyota has somewhat clarified the warranty terms, I'm not going to worry about it. I did send off an oil sample to Blackstone to get baseline numbers to compare with future oil changes.
Do you mind sharing your build month/year? I’m all about data and it’s great that many people on the forum seem to be as well.

As for the warranty terms and my question above and discussion, I tend to agree.

·
Registered
22 GR86 6MT; 22 Corolla
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 · (Edited)
The community has gathered some good evidence with 'bacon strip sized' pieces of RTV around the oil pan and a shop in Japan concluded it was RTV sealant from the timing chain cover. Nobody will 100% truly know until Toyota/Subaru really digs in and figures out what went wrong. Imo, I would not feel comfortable saying they've addressed the issue until it comes from the official channels.

Edit: I hadn't even thought to look at my plackard on the door. it is build date of 2021 December which is around the time I got my VIN.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ
72 Posts
My car was made in February 2022 I guess all I can hope for is the person working that day went easy on the seal and didn’t overload it. Or maybe that Subaru kind of figured something was up by then.
These motors are not hand built

they’re assembled by machine

if the machine was out of calibration for a certain period of time, then a whole list of cars are affected.

261 - 280 of 367 Posts