Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked it up from the dealer yesterday and it's great. Only problem is I live in NJ and remote start is pretty important to me to warm up the car. I downloaded the toyota app but I'm not seeing any remote controls? Does someone know how to start it from the key fob?

·
Registered
Raven Black GR86 Premium 6MT
214 Posts
You have an automatic car, right? If not, you’re SOL for remote start unless you go aftermarket AND DIY.
Plenty of professional 12 volt shops out there that will do manual transmission remote starts. Just gotta find one that knows what they’re doing and sells the right product.

As for OP, I believe some BRZ owners have already confirmed that there is no way to remote start from the keyfob. Toyota OEM remote starts work by pressing lock 3 times and holding on the 3rd press, but I highly doubt that’s going to work on the GR86.
If you can’t find the functionality in the app (maybe Toyota didn’t include it? an oversight like that wouldn’t surprise me at this point) I would just go aftermarket. Since yours is an automatic and the install is so easy it’s basically impossible to screw up, you could go to any Best Buy and pick up a Compustar for like $300 installed, and then you won’t need to pay a subscription.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plenty of professional 12 volt shops out there that will do manual transmission remote starts. Just gotta find one that knows what they’re doing and sells the right product.

As for OP, I believe some BRZ owners have already confirmed that there is no way to remote start from the keyfob. Toyota OEM remote starts work by pressing lock 3 times and holding on the 3rd press, but I highly doubt that’s going to work on the GR86.
If you can’t find the functionality in the app (maybe Toyota didn’t include it? an oversight like that wouldn’t surprise me at this point) I would just go aftermarket. Since yours is an automatic and the install is so easy it’s basically impossible to screw up, you could go to any Best Buy and pick up a Compustar for like $300 installed, and then you won’t need to pay a subscription.
It should have remote start, lock, unlock from the toyota app according to the press release and the GR86 page but I'm not seeing anything on my toyota app but this :
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

And when I called Toyota/Lexus Connected Services they couldn't find my vin or account by email or anything. Very strange.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I just picked it up from the dealer yesterday and it's great. Only problem is I live in NJ and remote start is pretty important to me to warm up the car. I downloaded the toyota app but I'm not seeing any remote controls? Does someone know how to start it from the key fob?
I called Toyota and they told me to talk with my dealer. In the app if you go to settings and add payment method, it will tell you that you have a trial for remote connect and safety connect. On the main page it says you have to press the SOS to link your car. The dealer also mentioned pressing the SOS button and saying that you want to enroll when it makes the call. I was able to get the message in the app, but my SOS button didn’t do anything. Give that a try and get back to me, because I want to figure this out as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Posted the below in another thread about remote connect, but figured I post here as well:

So i picked up my GR86 earlier this week and remote connect is proving to be quite the issue. While at the dealership my salesman and I tried setting up remote connect with no luck. The SOS button in my 86 didnt work the first few times we pushed it, but eventually after some patience it did end up working. However, the trouble didn't end there... we were on hold/transferred between departments for over 45 minutes. After hanging up out of frustration and trying again, we were finally connected with a representative at toyota that was able to get my car "authenticated" in the app. If connected with the right person... the whole process should not take more than a minute or two. I wish I could say that was the end of the difficulty.... once authenticated remote connect said "subscription expired" even though I have a 1 year trial active on my account. I ended up leaving the dealership with no resolution after over an hour of troubleshooting and countless representatives/transfers. I called toyota when I got home (972-324-7017 was the number I was given by one of the reps) and was once again transferred between several departments with no resolution to the issue. It appears the problem arises from the fact that some of the remote connected features are actually handled by subaru and not toyota. They filed my case with corporate, and told me someone would reach out with updates regarding my case. 24 hours later I got a call letting me know that this is not unique to my car, and they are having issues with remote connect on some new GR86's. As of writing this, I have not received any updates or resolutions. I would let your vehicle fully boot up and run for a couple minutes before trying to press the SOS button. Alternatively, you could try calling the number above and see if they are able to authenticate, but I am not sure if that number reaches a different department or not.

If anyone else is having the same issue with remote connect id love to know if you've been given a fix, or if you are hearing the same thing I am. It appears they are still working out the kinks, which comes with the territory of owning such a new car i guess.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 6AT Base Steel
342 Posts
New 6AT GR86 owner. I feel your pain.

I had the same experience. SOS button did nothing. I ended up getting it to work after holding the “i” button for 15-20 seconds. It did a bunch of flashing then stopped. But after hitting SOS to activate the rep said the system is having issues and was unable to activate mine. He said it was getting a 400 error in his application. I suspect our cars are too new for the system. Heck, Toyota doesn’t even have the online parts catalog updated for the 22 GR86.

Also, From my research the key fob (not app) doesn’t support remote start based on GR86 manual and following Toyota/Subaru standard procedure for remote start. Seems like an under sight.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
38 Posts
New 6AT GR86 owner. I feel your pain.

I had the same experience. SOS button did nothing. I ended up getting it to work after holding the “i” button for 15-20 seconds. It did a bunch of flashing then stopped. But after hitting SOS to activate the rep said the system is having issues and was unable to activate mine. He said it was getting a 400 error in his application. I suspect our cars are too new for the system. Heck, Toyota doesn’t even have the online parts catalog updated for the 22 GR86.

Also, From my research the key fob (not app) doesn’t support remote start based on GR86 manual and following Toyota/Subaru standard procedure for remote start. Seems like an under sight.

Keep us posted!
Glad i'm not the only one! I will certainly post any updates. Im hoping remote start will work from the keyfob once the subscription is active on the account, but that may be wishful thinking 🤞🏻

·
Registered
2022 GR86 6AT Base Steel
342 Posts
Oh boy, Toyota is under some heat! It looks like they don’t want to support remote start fobs anymore and charge everyone monthly. Now I know why there is no mention in the manual. I wonder if the fob will work if I activate the app, once they get it working.

Just google news search for Toyota remote start.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
275 Posts
Sorry if I missed something, are all the above issues only applies to AT cars. I have a MT n I don't even get lock/unlock (kind of understand it won't have remote start with manual). The Toyota connect is useless to me

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
275 Posts
I believe the MT should have lock/unlock capabilities
Thank you. Looks like there are few thing I need to do. At the end it ask me to submit the subscription twice n with cc info. Then the lock /unlock info pops out. We will see how it plays out if they try to charge me $8 plus tax just to be able to lock /unlock vehicle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts