Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED POST AS OF 1/16/22

These are the two OEM options if you are looking to upgrade the shifter in your GR86. I have not confirmed the fitment on the BRZ but am almost positive it will also fit. The price difference between the 2 is about $100-150$ Depending where you buy it.

TRD GR Quick Shift Lever
(Part # ms205-18002)
Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Gear shift Vehicle Hood Automotive design

pics via Black Hawk Japan
(Will post actual pic when I receive it)

GR86 Quick Shifter
(Part # PTR54 - 18220)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Bumper Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive tire

·
Registered
'13 2JZ FRS/'22 GR86
13 Posts
The pictures I have seen make it look like the old TRD version. It's not a replacement shifter, it's a small piece that extends the shift rod mount down (effectively raising the pivot point of the shifter). So the shift knob doesn't move location at all, just shortens the throws. I really liked mine on the FRS and will be getting one for the GR.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Grip86 can you post pics of what you are talking about? Not sure if you are talking about the jdm part # or the usdm part #. I understand how short shifters work.

·
Registered
'13 2JZ FRS/'22 GR86
13 Posts
@Grip86 can you post pics of what you are talking about? Not sure if you are talking about the jdm part # or the usdm part #. I understand how short shifters work.
I was just explaining why it was cheaper than the JDM part numbers. They are two different products.

Shipping box Material property Camera lens Gadget Carton

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Grip86 thanks for posting that pic, if that is in fact what I receive I will be shipping it back. Unfortunately none of the Toyota parts dealers have a photo of the part they are selling so even though the rep over the phone confirmed it was a shift lever it’s safe to say they aren’t always sure of what they are talking about.

·
Registered
'13 2JZ FRS/'22 GR86
13 Posts
No problem. I liked mine, and it shortens the shift significantly without changing shifter height which I found nice. Being half the price also helps.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium MT - Neptune Blue (Pending Allocation)
32 Posts
No problem. I liked mine, and it shortens the shift significantly without changing shifter height which I found nice. Being half the price also helps.
I'm guessing the install was a lot faster too; is it a linkage or is it in the transmission case itself? Was the exhaust in the way?

·
Registered
'13 2JZ FRS/'22 GR86
13 Posts
Was that just an example or does the GR86 share the same shift mechanism as the 1st generation?
Same linkage I would imagine, as most of that stuff has had only minor tweaks. Willing to bet the parts may be a tiny bit different, but install will be identical.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received the GR86 quick shifter today and it is the same part as the pic that @Grip86 posted above. I will update the original post to help others choose the part that best suits their needs. I am going to be ordering the jdm part which includes the shift lever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts