Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

From some of the recent videos I've been seeing about the GR86 from Japan I noticed that the head units they have look far better than the ones seen on the US market so far.

They have a bigger screen, with only buttons at the bottom part of the screen.

For example this one here:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Does anyone know something about this? Will the European cars have the option to have a bigger screen or will they use the usual subaru one?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can find the option for this better radio in the Subaru Japan homepage when configuring the car.
But as it seems this is only for the Japanese market.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not for the European market unfortunately. The 9" unit is a T-connect nszt-y68t. As mentioned its only available to the Japanese market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most Japanese HU uses different system. I've rent a cars in Japan in the pass 10 years and their system is different to the ones they provide overseas. Their GPS/Map is also different.

Fun fact, all Japanese car in Japan are order to build.

·
Registered
GR86
25 Posts
This head unit is a dealer option in Japan. All GR/BRZ's in Japan are "Audioless", meaning they come without any head unit/navigation system as standard. They do come with speakers however.

The owner in your photo has optioned for the 9inch Toyota branded "T-Connect" navigation unit, which costs 240,000yen (approx. USD2300).

There's absolutely no way these units could be used on overseas models, as they're entirely in Japanese with no option to change languages, and they only ever have maps for Japan roads.

·
Registered
VW Scirocco Viper Green
24 Posts
It would be curious and interesting to understand if this head unit T-Connect is mounted with a very normal 2-din standard or if it has a dedicated fixing.

If it were standard it means that in Europe or the USA you could opt for any alternative

·
Registered
GR86
25 Posts
It would be curious and interesting to understand if this head unit T-Connect is mounted with a very normal 2-din standard or if it has a dedicated fixing.

If it were standard it means that in Europe or the USA you could opt for any alternative
The fixture in Japanese GR's are standard 2-din mounts - There are a few videos of Japanese owners installing their own aftermarket 2-din (9inch) head units with no need for special brackets or mounts. The 9inch T-Connect Navi should/would be no different.

edit: After a bunch more research, I've discovered that 9inch "2-din" is more of a Japan thing. 2-din proper seems to only allow for a 7inch screen max; however here "2-din" seems to just mean "double-height", and so the mounts in many cars can allow up to 9inch flush-mounted. Many companies here that sell aftermarket nagivation units list their 9inch units as "2-din". I guess for 7inch units there's a spacer bracket that's used.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’m in the U.K. and interested in this head unit, as I tend to only use Apple CarPlay so long as I can connect an iPhone it would work for me.

Interesting that for a JDM item the controls are marked up in English 🤔

Map Line Font Screenshot Slope
Map Line Font Screenshot Slope

·
Registered
GR86
25 Posts
Yeah they do that for style-points haha. English on consumer products is ubiquitous here.

However, looking online in Japanese, while there's not a ton of info there was at least one mention of English, but it was for old models. Perhaps somewhere down the road they'll become available on the open market. At the moment they're definitely a dealer-only option.

In either case, seems like a hell of a lot of money to throw down if you just want to use CarPlay! Have you thought about going for one of those 10inch Android-based units? Like the ATOTO ones? It comes out from the faceplate, but doesn't interfere or block anything. They can usually do wireless Apple CarPlay, and a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m in the U.K. and interested in this head unit, as I tend to only use Apple CarPlay so long as I can connect an iPhone it would work for me.

We've already been through this in the other thread. The 8" factory headunit has Apple Carplay and this unit is only available in the Japanese Domestic Market. You need to let this one go.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We've already been through this in the other thread. The 8" factory headunit has Apple Carplay and this unit is only available in the Japanese Domestic Market. You need to let this one go.
A couple of U.K. importers of JDM products are looking into the possibility of getting hold of them 😉 Some aftermarket manufacturers may also offer something in time if there is a demand for a bigger screen and will probably be cheaper than the JDM part 🤔

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah they do that for style-points haha. English on consumer products is ubiquitous here.

However, looking online in Japanese, while there's not a ton of info there was at least one mention of English, but it was for old models. Perhaps somewhere down the road they'll become available on the open market. At the moment they're definitely a dealer-only option.

In either case, seems like a hell of a lot of money to throw down if you just want to use CarPlay! Have you thought about going for one of those 10inch Android-based units? Like the ATOTO ones? It comes out from the faceplate, but doesn't interfere or block anything. They can usually do wireless Apple CarPlay, and a fraction of the cost.
I‘ve not heard of those units 🤔 In the U.K. we should get Apple CarPlay as standard on the GR86, the bigger screen just looks a lot nicer 🙂

·
Registered
107 Posts
The fixture in Japanese GR's are standard 2-din mounts - There are a few videos of Japanese owners installing their own aftermarket 2-din (9inch) head units with no need for special brackets or mounts. The 9inch T-Connect Navi should/would be no different.

edit: After a bunch more research, I've discovered that 9inch "2-din" is more of a Japan thing. 2-din proper seems to only allow for a 7inch screen max; however here "2-din" seems to just mean "double-height", and so the mounts in many cars can allow up to 9inch flush-mounted. Many companies here that sell aftermarket nagivation units list their 9inch units as "2-din". I guess for 7inch units there's a spacer bracket that's used.
Do you have any links to the videos of owners fitting aftermarket 2-Din head units you could share?

As 2-Din appears to be an international standard various aftermarket units may fit and they aren’t prohibitively expensive.

·
Registered
GR86
25 Posts
Do you have any links to the videos of owners fitting aftermarket 2-Din head units you could share?

As 2-Din appears to be an international standard various aftermarket units may fit and they aren’t prohibitively expensive.
Yep:
Pioneer 9inch navi (JP market) -
This one fits snugly in to the alcove, exactly like the factory Toyota T-Connect one would. Looks almost exactly like OPs original photo.

Atoto 10inch Android (intl.) -
This attaches using provided brackets. The 10inch screen is too large to sit flush in the opening, so the screen rests just outside the standard (JDM) faceplate.

Panasonic 7inch navi (JP market) -
This one takes up way less space (as it's standard 7inch 2-din) and has to use a special addon faceplate in order to look right. Removing the stock "audioless" cover that comes with the JDM cars without adding this additional faceplate would result in a huge gap all the way around the 2-din unit. Vid doesn't show installation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yep:
Pioneer 9inch navi (JP market) -
This one fits snugly in to the alcove, exactly like the factory Toyota T-Connect one would. Looks almost exactly like OPs original photo.

Atoto 10inch Android (intl.) -
This attaches using provided brackets. The 10inch screen is too large to sit flush in the opening, so the screen rests just outside the standard (JDM) faceplate.

Panasonic 7inch navi (JP market) -
This one takes up way less space (as it's standard 7inch 2-din) and has to use a special addon faceplate in order to look right. Removing the stock "audioless" cover that comes with the JDM cars without adding this additional faceplate would result in a huge gap all the way around the 2-din unit. Vid doesn't show installation.
Thanks for those much appreciated 👍🙂

The Pioneer unit looks pretty much a perfect fit/match for the GR86 😎

1 - 16 of 16 Posts