Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the northeast of USA. We get a fair share of snow. The GR86 will be my daily commuter. Will snow tires be good enough to drive it through some snow? If so, what snow tires are you eyeing to put on your GR86? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have Blizzaks for my BRZ and have never had an issue with icy roads (I have had an issue with clearance, this past winter my company didn't come through with snow plows at one of our sites and I was snowed in until they came). I don't foresee any issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get some cheap 16x7 wheels, 205/55/16 snow tires and some RCE Rally-x springs (coming soon) that lift the suspension 15mm and you've got a "Safari" 86. 😁

·
Registered
37 Posts
I spent $1500 on an 04 outback, basically what I'd spend on proper snows and wheels. Then I don't care when some moron on summer or all seasons slides into me. Also plan to keep this car quite a while, rust is a cancer that is impossible to stop.

·
Registered
2014 Scion FR-S Monogram (Solo Spec Coupe)
4 Posts
Definitely switch to something like the Bridgestone Blizzak LM32 or LM001 (I don't know the specific models based on what's made and what size) for November through March. Even without snow, the performance winter tire will just improve traction in the colder temperatures due to the rubber compound used. I have Blizzak LM001s on my FR-S, they last about 3 winter seasons before needing to be replaced, and as long as I have ground clearance (less than 4"-6" of snow), I'm getting around better than 80% of cars around me, regardless of type.

Blizzak WS80s are overkill. Those tires are actually for full and constant snowy conditions. Don't get those.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you guys have a different set of wheels or just replace tires? New to BRZ so I'm just curious :D
BRZ or not, if you are capable and willing to swap wheels, I always recommend 2 full sets. If you do it yourself, 1. you only pay for mount and balancing once, 2. you save wear on the wheels from the tire machines, 3. your nice wheels don't get oxidized from salt/etc.

Even if you don't want to swap them yourself, it's still cheaper and easy to just have a shop simply swap the wheels if they are already mounted and ready to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really up to you. I put winter tires on my stock wheels, and put stickier autocross tires in aftermarket wheels. After 3 years, my next set of winter tires I bought I just pay to mount/balance then on my aftermarket wheels in November & March. All depends on budget and preference 😁

Do you guys have a different set of wheels or just replace tires? New to BRZ so I'm just curious :D

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
For those of you who live in a snow area, do you need to clean/degrease and then rust proof your underside, wheel wells ect. with rust protection?

And if you do, it is an annual process or does the rust protection last a few snow seasons?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can definitely do some sort of if underbody protection. I know a few people that do it like every two years. Talk to a local body shop to you and ask them about. They’ll know a lot more about it.
I just wash my car a LOT. That helps immensely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts