Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GR86 Premium Duckbill Spoiler. From an aesthetics standpoint, it seems you either love it, hate it, or don't care.

Some BRZ drivers want to add it to their Subaru. What about its functionality? I watched the Subaru assembly line for both cars and saw them apparently snapping it into place over the standard trunk spoiler.

Considering that it snaps (and/or adheres) in place, I was wondering how functional it would be in terms of generating downforce at high speeds on the track?

Seems like - if it was really generating aero forces - that it might just pop off the car at speed. Or...maybe it doesn't really generate much aero force? Maybe it just redirects enough air to reduce the low pressure zone behind the car?

I'm really bringing this up out of idle curiosity. I don't really like the duckbill look and even if it is functional, I won't be needing it for street use.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can you please share a link or a photo of the production line and how the spoiler attached?

personally I feel like the duckbill spoiler creates a nice line flow with the aggressive and 3 dimensional styling of the stock side skirts… so my gr86 will have one

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@Chris_f Here's the assembly line video I'm remembering although after scanning it, I'm not finding the example where the rear spoiler was attached. I'm wondering if I saw a different video and/or photo of the duckbill attachment.

Edit: Thanks to @DeanP for finding the relevant time stamp. Link edited to start at 6:51.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Can you please share a link or a photo of the production line and how the spoiler attached?

personally I feel like the duckbill spoiler creates a nice line flow with the aggressive and 3 dimensional styling of the stock side skirts… so my gr86 will have one
@Chris_f Here's the assembly line video I'm remembering although after scanning it, I'm not finding the example where the rear spoiler was attached. I'm wondering if I saw a different video and/or photo of the duckbill attachment.
If you look from 7 minutes to 7 minutes 30 seconds

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the video and the time stamps guys.

I will point out that what you see in the video is just the standard boot finishing piece. The ducktail spoiler is actually installed on top of that piece.

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car

so that is just the normal boot… this is the duckbill:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks for the video and the time stamps guys.

I will point out that what you see in the video is just the standard boot finishing piece. The ducktail spoiler is actually installed on top of that piece.

View attachment 3515
View attachment 3516

so that is just the normal boot… this is the duckbill:
View attachment 3517
velcro? double sided tape? superglue? However it is mounted, it will cost far more than it is worth.

·
Registered
494 Posts
To know how well it works would require seeing it in a windtunnel, but my guess is that the base spoiler is there to maintain flow attachment over the roof primarily for drag reduction, but also some decrease in lift with the larger spoiler primarily reducing lift, but with some small drag penalty. That said, the drag penalty of the larger spoiler might also be offset by reduction in wake drag if it is high enough to act as a trip strip. Don't know how it's attached, but I wouldn't think it will have a tendency to come off.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just looking at the shape of the duckbill it certainly appears it would be functional as far as creating some downforce on the rear by having the airflow over the roof and rear window pushing down on it; just how much downforce is probably the real question. I also agree with what others have said that it probably creates a small highway fuel economy penalty due to increased drag. I don't care, I like it!

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,863 Posts
I will bet it is 3m taped on. The small spoiler like the BRZ gets will be bolted on. I jave never seen an add on spoiler extension where you would have to drill into the oem spoiler and trunk. Just like many dealer or port installed aero bits. If it doesnt fully replace an existing part and just adds to it..... 99% of the time its held there with tape.

·
Registered
'22 GR86 Premium MT
229 Posts
I will bet it is 3m taped on. The small spoiler like the BRZ gets will be bolted on. I jave never seen an add on spoiler extension where you would have to drill into the oem spoiler and trunk. Just like many dealer or port installed aero bits. If it doesnt fully replace an existing part and just adds to it..... 99% of the time its held there with tape.
This may be the case with aftermarket accessories, oem stuff has more of a "quality of fit" level to them, aside from being a perfect fit it also includes not having shit potentially flying off from something as simple as not prepping a surface well enough.

I've seen lip spoilers even smaller than this duckbill needing holes drilled to be installed at dealerships.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Unless you are doing time attack, the majority of areo stuff positive or negative, will not be noticed. The average driver does not notice these things, so it's more of a style item than a wind tunnel tested areo item. Anyone doing time attack, depending on what track they are at, will likely have a custom installed adjustable wing. Or for a track with super long straights, maybe no wing at all. You will gain more from a really good front splitter anyway.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Watching the video at time stamp found by @DeanP, the standard boot / trunk spoiler is snapped in place. Even if the duckbill is bolted onto the standard spoiler, the weakest link is still the snap-in mountings.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They probably snap it on to fit and then put some bolts in from underneath further down the production line. There is no way the standard boot or boot with duckbill will ever fall off.. so no point even worrying about it

·
Registered
823 Posts
My understanding is that this big duckbill paradoxically reduces the coefficient of drag by something like 0.01 (to around 0.27). So marginally lower fuel consumption at speed. Indeed, I am looking forward to seeing EPA numbers for the Toyota. (And I have been wondering what trim was selected by the EPA for the BRZ test - the Primacy tires should have less friction then the Pilot's...)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Interesting, Lou. Do you recall where you saw this information? If that is the case -- and I'm no aerodynamics expert, but know a little about it -- I imagine the duckbill reduces the swirling vortexes at the rear of the car that contribute to drag by effectively forcing or shifting the vortexes farther away and reducing the 'suction' effect of same. I may be off base, but that's my take on it for what it's worth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts