Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Disclaimer: I'm not trying to create a sob story, just educating all of you guys on the GR86/BRZ's safety systems and how it quite literally saved my life]
Story:
So I and my group of buddies met up at a parking garage to meet another "crew" (which we have never met before) to then go to a car meet, upon entering the highway the other crew starts driving recklessly as hell (and by all means my "crew" does drive fast but nowhere near as idiotic as these guys). One of their guys drives a red Infinity Q, and while I'm approaching a car in front of me in the middle lane the Infinity (whose door is lined up with mine) swerves into my lane almost hitting me so I swerved into the right lane which is open and lose traction (this is at the beginning of a curve on the highway) I had some control of the car so I drifted it away from the cement wall in the middle of the highway and instead opt for hitting the guard rail, I hit the guard rail, flip upside down and grind the guard rail barely missing a highway sign then flip back over and land as you can see in the 2nd picture. I went to the hospital and now have a T11 Fracture and a T12 compression on my spine. I've had 4 doctors tell me that I should be paralyzed or dead but I can walk perfectly fine and my neurosurgeon appointment is on the 18th so until then I just have to manage the pain (which is minimal)

Blind Spot Detection:
The blind spot detection was quite literally the only indicator that that infinity was on my left and he probably would have killed us both had he hit me but by technicality, it was a miss and run and the cops didn't even want his name or plate but my insurance did.

Airbags/Seat belt:
The airbags worked perfectly and supringly didn't break my nose (drinking milk works lol?) but the seatbelt also saved my life completely, when you hae it buttoned so it has a better fit on your body from the seat it didn't leave any markings on me or on my neck and the EMS were suprised by that as well.

Side note: Now I'm whipping the Corolla until I'm 25 and can afford to buy a new GR lmao, all my buddies still laugh when I say I'm gonna buy another one some day, but I love the GR/BRZ and everything about it, despite it being underpowered, despite it not being "fast" when I drove my GR86 it felt like I had a physical connection to the car, and that's why I love it.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design

Hood Glove Sleeve Automotive tire Plant

Automotive lighting Plant Tire Motor vehicle Asphalt

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Relieved you came out relatively unscathed! Scary. It looks like the bumper and aluminum front end parts vaporized into thin air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts