Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Take the 10 anniversary?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2016 Lexus IS 200t F-Sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone, I was offered an interesting proposition. I work for a Toyota dealership and right now we have 2 open units for the GR86 10th anniversary edition in a AT that I could have within a month. I currently have an order for a premium 6MT but it likely wouldn't arrive until the end of the year. I really like the appearance of the anniversary edition as my profile picture shows but I really wanted a manual transmission. I just wanna hear some opinions from other GR86 enthusiasts about what they'd do in my shoes and just any opinions on how well the auto is from others who have one.

· Registered
2016 Lexus IS 200t F-Sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the input from everyone, I think my impatience was getting the best of me LOL
Do you want a manual because you think that it is cooler. Or is it because your addicted to modulating the clutch.
I previously had a 93 SC300 that was a rare manual and I regret selling it to this day but times were tough. I think I'm just gunna wait there's no use in being impatient then suffering from buyers remorse. I'd still love to see what people who own the auto feel about the car as well.

· Registered
217 Posts
I'd still love to see what people who own the auto feel about the car as well.
Auto owner here

I was in a similar position. I placed two orders at my dealer, one for a premium Neptune in manual and the other for the premium Neptune in auto (I really wanted the color, interior improvements, wing, and wheels). After 4 months the auto in that spec showed up and I think if I waited for a manual I would still be waiting.

I like the auto and don’t regret it, but I’m not a manual purest. If you have any automatic specific questions throw them my way

As for what you should do, since you work for a dealer is it possible to test drive some base models?

· Registered
432 Posts
whats more important to you? transmission or paint color.
presuming you cant get the special edition in MT you will have to choose between the 2.

also im not voting but if i were in your shoes i would look at the AT when it comes in and see how much you really like the color if at all. then decide.... but know the temptation to buy a car just because its there is gonna be rough to overcome. especially if you are still waffling.

· Registered
432 Posts
for me personally both twins were my first auto vehicles ever. I wanted manual for sure BUT i also wanted adaptive cruise control. my old car had TSS so i had both manual and ACC but being a subaru twins dont have that option. so for me i chose AT because i wanted ACC more than manual.

· Registered
2 Posts
I currently have an order for a premium 6MT but it likely wouldn't arrive until the end of the year.
That seems insane. I just went to my local dealer and ‘ordered’ a premium 6MT, but who knows how long that would take. So I fire up Toyotas website with a zip code map and just start looking for exactly what I want, email the dealers who have it…within a week I have my name on a vehicle en route…actually have a VIN. Probably be a bit more than a month, and I have to fly up there and drive back 700 miles…but a Pavement grey Premium 6MT on a boat somewhere has my name on it.

· Registered
423 Posts
Do you want a manual because you think that it is cooler. Or is it because your addicted to modulating the clutch.
Y’know there are more reasons than that, right? 😆

I don’t care much about what other people think is cool. And if you’re “addicted to modulating the clutch”, you’re probably doing something wrong.

I wanted a manual transmission mostly because I find them to be more engaging to drive. It’s fun to me. And if I’m buying a fun car, I want all the fun.

Over the years, I’ve also tended to stick to manual transmissions for long-term reliability. I’ve observed plenty of expensive-to-fix transmission problems in cars with high mileage. It’s rare with manuals, though, at least with ones that aren’t abused. I’m not saying that automatics are a ticking time bomb (except maybe Nissan’s), but just playing the odds.

Getting back to the OP, though… You said you “really wanted a manual transmission”. If that’s what you really want, and you don’t need the car ASAP, wait for it. With how the car market is evolving and changing, you may not be able to find a fun car with a manual transmission in the not-too-distant future.

· Registered
2023 Track bRed GR86 Premium MT
71 Posts
Did the last gens ever have automatic transmission issues? I think the ones in these are pretty reliable. It’s a carry over from Lexus cars with more power and torque. Like any auto, just make sure it’s getting serviced when needed
Being an automatic IS the issue.

· Registered
2022 GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
816 Posts
Did the last gens ever have automatic transmission issues? I think the ones in these are pretty reliable. It’s a carry over from Lexus cars with more power and torque. Like any auto, just make sure it’s getting serviced when needed
nah, they're really solid (were before as well) and actually can hold more power than the MT, but you'd only find out once you add boost etc which most never do. The longer gears would also be ideal for more power, and Toyobaru updated the tq convertor and shift logic as well for better longevity and for faster shifts (shaved half a second off). I'm excited for what VFTuner is able to do for them...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts