Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just curious if anyone has found pictures of the 86 in the wild with the GR Appearance Package/Fender Vent inserts? From the picture on the configurator I don’t think I am a fan, but I'm curious to see what they actually look like on the car. The allocation i'm hoping to put a deposit down on in a few days has the Appearance Package port installed, and i'm not sure if I should try to negotiate with the dealer to have some accessories removed once it arrives at the dealership.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Same here, not a fan. I like the stock appearance of the fender vents, but the inserts just look too tacked-on to me, and interfere with the clean lines of the side of the car in my opinion. To be honest I wouldn't change a thing about the stock appearance of the GR86 Premium with the exception that I do prefer the gray painted wheels of the BRZ over the black ones on the GR86.

·
Registered
914 Posts
A hair dryer to warm up the adhesive, and some dental floss to lift a corner should work.
That should do it. I doubt they use anything else to attach it on.
Anyone new to doing this might want to go through a couple of videos on YouTube from the pros.

·
Registered
405 Posts
One thing I'm wondering -- does the insert protect the paint aft of the vent, from, say, stones getting flung through the vent? Not sure if that is even possible, but if it is, then I could see its purpose. If not, then it's just a styling garnish I have no interest in. But to each their own as they say.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a stone hit the side of my cars while driving. Damage is most likely to be on front bumpers, hoods, windshield and roof.
I believe what you're talking about is stones flung up by other cars and trucks. I'm talking about stones flung up by your car's tires. I've seen some fairly significant stone chipping behind the wheel wells on cars that don't have mudflaps. Probably not likely on the GR due to the way the vent curves outward and is higher up in the wheel well. I do notice that the bottom portion of the vent is blocked; I bet they did consider leaving that bottom portion open but it crossed their mind that stones might get flung through it onto the body. All just speculation of course. What else is there to do when your car is many months out from delivery?;)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts