Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received an email reply from Shawn at Slambert Performance Engineering. He said their bumper mount hitch for the Gen 2 cars is in the works. It uses the tow hook ports to attach the hitch. Rated at 1000lbs max trailer weight, 100lbs max tongue weight, should be plenty sturdy enough to carry a mountain bike or two. Here's a photo of the Gen 1 setup:

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
40 Posts
Amazing, I was hoping this would be the case as this has been my biggest concern with switching to the platform as a daily. Seems like much more of a sturdy solution compared to the suction cup/strap mounted bike racks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Amazing, I was hoping this would be the case as this has been my biggest concern with switching to the platform as a daily. Seems like much more of a sturdy solution compared to the suction cup/strap mounted bike racks.
I have some friends with the "Seasucker" racks. They are quality and definately an option. I just feel weird about putting something like that on a brand new roof..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some friends with the "Seasucker" racks. They are quality and definately an option. I just feel weird about putting something like that on a brand new roof..
I think you'd have to be even more careful considering these cars have aluminum roofs and such a short roofline. I would feel much better about the Slambert solution.

·
Registered
766 Posts
About the Twin Hitch, Slambert told me that the fitment was the same (exact same distance between threaded holes). In other words, no need for a new version... Either way, I am definitely going to get one to pull a track bike on a small trailer (600 lbs total weight).

As for the Seasuckers, I suction mine to the top of the glass, with the rear wheel suction cup right on the edge of the spoiler on the trunk. Works perfectly for my 44" wheelbase mountain bike. No point putting it on the roof if not necessary. Got up to 80 mph without any issues, by the way. (There's a video somewhere of a Seasucker on a NASCAR Cup car doing 150+.)

Standard roof racks are known to damage the roof on Gen 1 cars. Yakima withdrew their BRZ Q clips in 2013 when people started to report the buckling. So if the roof sheet metal is now aluminum, forget about it.

Louis

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, Lou, thanks for the input. I figured the distance was the same between the holes, but someone over on FT86 forum reported the hitch bar will contact the bumper on the Gen 2s, as he had transferred his over from his Gen 1 car. He simply added some spacers to move it out farther and it still worked fine. I reached out to Slambert just to let them know about that guy's experience, and they indicated that they are indeed working on a version for the Gen 2. Probably only involves slightly longer threaded bars I suppose. I'm not sure if that would actually maintain the strength of the platform better than just adding spacers to the existing bars, or if Slambert figures he'll save people the trouble of figuring out how to add spacers, or what, but in any case, I got it from the horse's mouth that there is a new version in the works.

The seasuckers are an innovative solution for sure, and I would consider using them, just not on this car. Also, I prefer to carry bike either inside the car if there's room, or on rear bumper if not. Where I live up on the northern Plains, the bug strikes accumulate on roof-mounted bikes to the point that the handlebar controls can become a real sticky mess if you're on a longer trip.

Anyways, bottom line is I'm glad there is such a good alternative solution such as the Twin Hitch.

Lastly, you are fortunate to live close enough to a track you can take your track bike to. What part of Canada do you live in?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Lastly, you are fortunate to live close enough to a track you can take your track bike to. What part of Canada do you live in?
No tracks in your area?

I live in Montreal. There are actually quite a few options. I ride mostly at Shannonville Motorsport Park, halfway between Montreal and Toronto. Great for bikes. Also, Calabogie near Ottawa. There are some faster tracks too, like Mosport and Mt. Tremblant, or NH International. There's even part of an airport here in Montreal that has been converted to a track.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No tracks in your area?

I live in Montreal. There are actually quite a few options. I ride mostly at Shannonville Motorsport Park, halfway between Montreal and Toronto. Great for bikes. Also, Calabogie near Ottawa. There are some faster tracks too, like Mosport and Mt. Tremblant, or NH International. There's even part of an airport here in Montreal that has been converted to a track.
The closest tracks to me are in Denver to the south and Minneapolis to the east, about 600 miles to each. Yes, I live in the middle of nowhere, North Dakota. There are a few autocross races, but that's it.

I was in Montreal around, I believe it was '02 and also '03, for the Formula One races. That was awesome; I believe they were still using the V-10s back then. Great city, really enjoyed my visits there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My BRZ is like June on order. Ill wait too.

I mentioned that 6061-T6 aluminium is an option too cuz its weldable and lighter.

(I'm only using for a single bike and may just buy their custom bolts and have something made custom myself.)

Cheer

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Joey, where are you saying the 6061-T7 aluminum will be used? Sorry, not clear what you meant.

Likewise, my car probably won't be here until May, so not in any hurry.

·
Registered
349 Posts
For someone who needs a rack that can support more weight, I've been looking into the Torklift Ecohitch Stealth. They don't have one for the new gen yet, but going by the Subaru parts site, the rear bumper beam is the same part number for both generations. Since the Ecohitch uses the bumper beam bolts to hold it on, the dimensions being the same means the gen 1 should work on gen 2. I think the question then is the clearance with the bumper cover underneath, but that should be an easy enough fix. If they don't come up with a new gen version in the next few months, I'll probably give the gen 1 a try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts