Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello together,
this one is for those who already have their BRZ and already drove some miles.
Do you have some fuel consumption numbers for us? I’m really interested because the official numbers seem to be very high compared to the old model.
Maybe also split in highway, city.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
76 Posts
I am definitely getting much lower numbers compare to the official numbers. For the Canadian market, it is rated at 12L/100km in the city, 8.8L/100km on the highway. I mostly drove the car in the city and so far I am averaging 9.9L/100km. But the numbers are good because I have been easy on the car because of the break-in period though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am definitely getting much lower numbers compare to the official numbers. For the Canadian market, it is rated at 12L/100km in the city, 8.8L/100km on the highway. I mostly drove the car in the city and so far I am averaging 9.9L/100km. But the numbers are good because I have been easy on the car because of the break-in period though.
I’m curious how fuel consumption is in relaxed highway driving (say in the 110-120 km/h range). I find official ratings tend to overstate the fuel consumption of performance cars on the highway. I have a 2017 Ford Escape AWD 2.0T, and its highway fuel economy for relaxed driving exactly matches the EPA number of 8.7 L/100km. On the other end of the spectrum, I had a 2017 AMG GT S whose real world highway fuel consumption for similar relaxed driving was around 8 to 8.5 L/100km while officially it should have burned 10.7 L/100km.

The AMG weighed less than the Ford, had a smaller frontal area of air to displace, and had a more efficient dual clutch transmission, so intuitively having it burn less fuel than a Ford Escape makes sense. Big displacement engines aren’t necessarily inefficient. I don’t know why its EPA fuel economy ratings were so much worse than reality. I wonder if something similar is at play with the BRZ. With that said, the rather short sixth gear of the manual BRZ probably isn’t doing highway fuel economy any favours.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
278 Posts
Personally my vehicles always get far better economy than advertised. I dont drive easy either, ever. There are tricks that can be done that help out. For example, while slowing down keep it in gear, not neutral or clutched in. Decelerating in gear uses 0 gas. The injectors do not even open. As soon as you hit neutral you are burning gas.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I fully expect it to beat the numbers. I always beat the numbers in my cars, and my Focus ST averaged 30 mpg for its lifetime with more power, weight, and a worse cda (though a taller 6th), so I hope I end up getting around 30 out of the GR, as well. The short 6th (come on, it's about the same as 5th in my 1983 Subaru GL that had 73 HP and a lot worse aero!) and small trunk opening instead of a lift back are the two things I don't like.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited (on the way!)
33 Posts
About 550 miles so far on mine, getting 25-26 combined. About the same as my old E46. Seems to to be pretty close to the estimated rating. Drive it moderately - gotta keep it under 5k for break in but don’t wanna be gumming up traffic either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About 550 miles so far on mine, getting 25-26 combined. About the same as my old E46. Seems to to be pretty close to the estimated rating. Drive it moderately - gotta keep it under 5k for break in but don’t wanna be gumming up traffic either.
Thanks man
Which engine did you have in your e46?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm at about 700 miles and my dash is reading avg 25.8 mpg, and that's with mostly city driving, with a small stretch of highway-ish speeds ~60 mph in my commute. Still under 4K RPM, so we'll see if that holds after break-in but much better than I expected.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm at about 700 miles and my dash is reading avg 25.8 mpg, and that's with mostly city driving, with a small stretch of highway-ish speeds ~60 mph in my commute. Still under 4K RPM, so we'll see if that holds after break-in but much better than I expected.
700 miles and still under 4k..?! You have the willpower of a saint..!! No way in heck I can manage that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
In the dash settings you can set a warning beep when it hits 4K so that makes it easier to not get carried away.
Im not in the soft break in camp personally. Especially on a car that does not have any forced induction. It will do the same thing I have done with my last several new cars. Dump the factory synthetic oil immediately when I get home. Replace it with conventional oil and drive "normal" not hard for 250ish miles. Dump the conventional and go back to full synthetic and gradually whoop it more and more up to about 500 miles. After that all bets are off. Did the same with my regular mazda 3 and it has 223k miles on the clock. My speed 3 I did take it easier for a little bit because boost can very easily cause rings to seal improperly and its best to let the seals and bearings in the turbo itself to set. Lots of guys here have lots of patience for these break ins I see. IDK how you do it LOL.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited (on the way!)
33 Posts
I have mine set at 5k. I’ve played with it a little between 4-5k but it is so damn hard lol. The engine really wakes up at 4 and wants to keep going so it’s hard af to not let her scream hahah. I had both a 2.5 and 3.0 in my E46. The 2.5 was completely stock, and the 3.0 was/is (still have it lol) lightly modified (Schrick cams, lighter valve springs redline bumped to 7k)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm at 1100 miles, Limited manual, 65% city driving 24 mpg average. I completely obeyed the 4K rpm limit for the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been logging how much gas is being put in during my refuels, I'm calculating 24.6 mpg total over the ~700 mi so far. Maybe the display showing 25.8 isn't quite accurate. Still seems quite a bit better than the advertised 20 city 27 hwy, 22 combined.

Also according to the quick start guide, the tank capacity is 13.2 gallons, and the low fuel light kicks on with 1.8 gallons left. Mine seems to be coming on slightly earlier, and the estimated range to empty when the light comes on says 10 miles, which seems WAY off. After that it just shows "--" so I guess I'll have to use the tripometer when the light comes on to have an actual number for reference, not that I'll be testing the limits.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For not too relevant reference, my 2016 Focus ST got around 26 when it was breaking in before going up to averaging around 30mpg. I calculate every tank. Winter fuel knocked it down to around 27. Never got below 25. That's with a lot of Boston area traffic, though I work earlier hours and miss some of the peak horrors.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So Cameron hill says in one of his videos that he gets around 29,7 mpg while breaking the car in on a highway cruise. Even though this might not be perfectly accurate it’s still good to see that the brz can be driven very efficiently on a high way as I plan to do holiday trips with it.
Minute 17.
I wonder how it will change for constant high way speeds of around 105-125 mph..

·
Registered
20 Posts
So Cameron hill says in one of his videos that he gets around 29,7 mpg while breaking the car in on a highway cruise. Even though this might not be perfectly accurate it’s still good to see that the brz can be driven very efficiently on a high way as I plan to do holiday trips with it.
Minute 17.
I wonder how it will change for constant high way speeds of around 105-125 mph..
While better than EPA numbers, 29.7 mpg (8 L/100km) is kinda disappointing highway fuel economy for such a small and not particularly powerful car. Given reports of people getting 35-37 mpg in real world highway driving with the old car in manual form, and 9 years of technical advancements, I was hoping the new car would at least get 33-35 mpg in manual form on the highway.

I got the same 8 L/100km highway with my BMW M240i xDrive, a much heavier, larger, more powerful, AWD, and faster vehicle. I got around 8.5 L/100km in real world highway driving in my AMG GTS that was much bigger/heavier, more than twice as powerful with a twin turbo V8, and twice as fast. I got around 10 L/100km highway in my Mercedes CL63, a car that was 2000 lbs heavier, and had a 567 hp twin turbo 5.5L V8. A comparatively tiny, slow, and featherweight car burning only 20% less fuel would be disappointing.

With that said, fuel economy usually improves after break in, and the numbers I got above were in gentle driving on level ground around 110-120 km/h. I wonder what efficiency I’d get with my highway driving style after break in. My Ford Escape gets exactly its EPA rated highway efficiency with my highway driving, while the various German performance cars I listed above easily beat their highway ratings for me, especially the AMG GT S.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts