Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the screw size for the front license? The threaded inserts look like the would receive a machine screw vs a sheet metal screw. The exact size would be appreciated if anyone knows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put my front plate on yesterday and I struggled with this also. I think it ended up being 10-32 or possibly 12-24. Hope that helps, I'd have to take it off to check for sure, but it was enough of a pain that I don't want to mess with it.

I used Subaru's OEM mounting bracket, which lists the 2022 BRZ as compatible but I think that was misleading as the instructions on the mounting kit only list two options, one for pre-existing "holes" in the bumper and one for pre-existing dimples which you would drill into. The "holes" option assume it's just a hole in the bumper that you would insert the provided well nut into, which doesn't work because the holes in the bumper already have the screw threads in place. The screws provided in the kit only fit with the provided well nut and not the threads already on the bumper.

Also, make sure you know what length screw you need. I used a license plate frame and the mounting bracket both of which had spacers included, so I needed kind of a long screw, but you don't want to go too long as the screw can only go so far into the bumper. Sorry for another vague answer, you could always skip the spacers I guess but I kept them because they protect the bumper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They’re 6mm, but they aren’t in positions for US plates. There’s dimples for our locations, use the plate as a guide.

I mounted the plates right to the bumper with some silicone frames, just make sure the hole you drill matches your bolts!

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,132 Posts
They’re 6mm, but they aren’t in positions for US plates. There’s dimples for our locations, use the plate as a guide.

I mounted the plates right to the bumper with some silicone frames, just make sure the hole you drill matches your bolts!
NOOOOOOOOO. LOL. Sorry that made me yell out loud. I personally dont use a front plate even though my state "requires" it. But I cannot recommend screwing into the plastic bumper. Once that happens it cannot ever UNhappen. The bumper now has holes. Either buy the subaru bracket or a relocation kit that mounts in the tow hook location.

·
Registered
13 Posts
While we’re on the topic of the front license plate area…

Would someone be kind enough to measure a couple of things for me?

1) Total width of the front number plate surface area.

2) Distance between the 2 screw holes on the front number plate area.

I’m asking because I’m thinking about ordering some custom plates! Thanks :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Club No-Drill here. Also Club No-Front-Plate-State. :cool:

Reactions: Blahblah123

·
Registered
142 Posts
I put my front plate on yesterday and I struggled with this also. I think it ended up being 10-32 or possibly 12-24. Hope that helps, I'd have to take it off to check for sure, but it was enough of a pain that I don't want to mess with it.

I used Subaru's OEM mounting bracket, which lists the 2022 BRZ as compatible but I think that was misleading as the instructions on the mounting kit only list two options, one for pre-existing "holes" in the bumper and one for pre-existing dimples which you would drill into. The "holes" option assume it's just a hole in the bumper that you would insert the provided well nut into, which doesn't work because the holes in the bumper already have the screw threads in place. The screws provided in the kit only fit with the provided well nut and not the threads already on the bumper.

Also, make sure you know what length screw you need. I used a license plate frame and the mounting bracket both of which had spacers included, so I needed kind of a long screw, but you don't want to go too long as the screw can only go so far into the bumper. Sorry for another vague answer, you could always skip the spacers I guess but I kept them because they protect the bumper.
I got the same bracket and had same issue

·
Registered
142 Posts

6mm goes in but isnt an exact fit thread pattern is off slightly, which could rattle loose over time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
6mm goes in but isnt an exact fit thread pattern is off slightly, which could rattle loose over time.
Yes, I found this too when I tried to fit the Subaru mounting plate. As others have said, the bolts that come with this universal kit, do not fit the BRZ. Also, when the mounting plate is fitted, the license plate mounting screws that came with the kit do not have broad enough heads to hold a Texas plate, and the ends of the screws also contact the bodywork.

Essentially, the Subaru accessory is useless - the only useful part is the actual plate itself, which is sturdy but weighs plenty! I will try and source the correct bolts and screws myself, now that I have bought the kit….

1 - 13 of 13 Posts