Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(There are lots of sharp eyes on this forum so this must have been picked up elsewhere.)

What is the story with the four ugly divets/depressions that mar some rear bumper covers? They are much worse than the front license plate holes on the BRZ, in my opinion. I don't think that any press, event, or photoshoot cars had these. But I am seeing them on actual dealer cars. Maybe they are only on the earliest production cars? Maybe there are multiple suppliers for the rear bumper cover and some molds have these while others don't? In any case, I won't be happy if my car shows up with them!

To illustrate what I mean, here are a couple of vids of GR86's (both trims and different colors) recently received by US dealers. I think I've seen these divets on some BRZ's too, but let's start here.

First vid (grey) is a smooth, no divet bumper. The other three have the divets.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tons of cars have them—those are parking sensors or something similar. They probably only come with the BS driver nanny package, possibly only the automatics.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear parking sensors? Ah! Thank you for this answer! Is the implementation always so ugly?

My car won't have them :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Aftermarket parking sensors. I believe that the genuine ones can be mounted behind the panel (correct me if I am wrong)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aftermarket parking sensors. I believe that the genuine ones can be mounted behind the panel (correct me if I am wrong)
no those are all brand new cars and thats how all parking sensors are?? even my Audi has visible sensors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Parking sensors as well as ugly are a pointless feature on these cars since it has a reversing camera.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Edit:
Definitely not blind spot monitoring.
These are the parking sensors.
Don’t get it why they have to be there and why some cars don’t have them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought Parking sensors/rear view camera i.e. as a package, was a regulatory requirement in the US, i.e. All new cars must have them?
It was one of the reasons why the ND2 MX5 got a pimple look in the middle of its rear bumper which the ND1 was not afflicted with.

Perhaps someone could clarify?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just the camera, though a lot of people want the sensors and car companies also package them with popular options, so they're becoming ubiquitous. [rant retracted]

·
Registered
2018 Fiesta ST, 2019 Shelby GT350R
149 Posts
I thought Parking sensors/rear view camera i.e. as a package, was a regulatory requirement in the US, i.e. All new cars must have them?
It was one of the reasons why the ND2 MX5 got a pimple look in the middle of its rear bumper which the ND1 was not afflicted with.

Perhaps someone could clarify?
I think the cameras were required on 2017 and newer cars. Parking sensors are not mandatory.

·
Registered
2018 Fiesta ST, 2019 Shelby GT350R
149 Posts

At 2:40 he explains that the automatic models get the small holes. Because of lane keeping assistant etc
I haven't yet watched the video, but parking sensors in the bumper make zero sense for anything to do with lane keeping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts