Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Not new to sports cars, but I am new to the aftermarket rim world. My 2022 BRZ Limited came with summer 215/40/18 Michelin PS4’s and I would like to put UHP All-Seasons so I can drive the car year round (Midwest, some snow/ice, I have a 4x4 to drive during really bad times). These cars are new so information and options are fairly scarce, but from I have researched the factory 18” rims are 5x100 bolt pattern, +48mm offset, 7.5 width. I have checked at least a dozen aftermarket rim/tire shops without being able to find a same size match as the factory rims, and would like to stay as close to factory as possible but have narrowed down my search to the following:

215/40/18 Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Plus Tires (almost identical to factory tires in RPM/diameter)
Rims are the tough part as I can’t find 18”, 7.5, 5x100, +48mm offset rims to match the factory. Here’s where I landed—Enkei Tuning, TS-10, 18”, 8” width, 45mm offset, 6.22” backspacing.

My question for this expert group, and forgive me if it’s a silly one, but any fitment, clearance, brake/suspension, etc. issues I should be concerned about changing my rim size to the Enkei listed above?

Thanks in advance for the help—this car is a ton of fun and don’t want to park it for the next 6 months!

Max

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi All,

Not new to sports cars, but I am new to the aftermarket rim world. My 2022 BRZ Limited came with summer 215/40/18 Michelin PS4’s and I would like to put UHP All-Seasons so I can drive the car year round (Midwest, some snow/ice, I have a 4x4 to drive during really bad times). These cars are new so information and options are fairly scarce, but from I have researched the factory 18” rims are 5x100 bolt pattern, +48mm offset, 7.5 width. I have checked at least a dozen aftermarket rim/tire shops without being able to find a same size match as the factory rims, and would like to stay as close to factory as possible but have narrowed down my search to the following:

215/40/18 Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Plus Tires (almost identical to factory tires in RPM/diameter)
Rims are the tough part as I can’t find 18”, 7.5, 5x100, +48mm offset rims to match the factory. Here’s where I landed—Enkei Tuning, TS-10, 18”, 8” width, 45mm offset, 6.22” backspacing.

My question for this expert group, and forgive me if it’s a silly one, but any fitment, clearance, brake/suspension, etc. issues I should be concerned about changing my rim size to the Enkei listed above?

Thanks in advance for the help—this car is a ton of fun and don’t want to park it for the next 6 months!

Max
Those enkeis will work no problem. 7.5 inch I'd hard to find. I would put 225s on those if I were you. And I am getting PS4 all seasons. They are rated great.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi All,

Max
You’re going to have a hard time finding a decent wheel in 7.5” width, especially in 18s. That said, if you’re going 8” wide go for 225s like others are suggesting.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,807 Posts
225\45\18 is all the tire these cars will ever need. Its plenty wide for dry performance traction, even on a modded car with forced induction. It should be fine in the winter too. Its definitely wider than I would go if it were a dedicated winter tire, but for all seasons it should work. In all honesty, if you dont plan on adding a significant amount of power to the car the OEM size is perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Need help. Replaced original wheels and tires with new wheels and winter tires. How to use the TPMS switch? Pressed for TPMS set switch for 3 seconds until the low pressure warning light blinks slowly 3 times. Waited for 5-10 minutes. Drove around for 20 minutes. Tire measurements never show. Any idea how to work this?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Need help. Replaced original wheels and tires with new wheels and winter tires. How to use the TPMS switch? Pressed for TPMS set switch for 3 seconds until the low pressure warning light blinks slowly 3 times. Waited for 5-10 minutes. Drove around for 20 minutes. Tire measurements never show. Any idea how to work this?
You need to jump up and down 5 times and spin around twice after pressing the button for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
My understanding is that the car needs to be brought to subaru. The new tpms sensors need to be saved to the vehicle. After that you can toggle between 2 sets of wheels with installed sensors. If you want to change the psi that triggers a low pressure light you set the tires to the pressure you want to run then hold the button til it beeps. That becomes you desired pressure and if it drops a few psi below that the light will come on the dash.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So now I am confused. Is the RC wheel and tire, a winter tire? Or just a cheap version of the road tire?? I wonder if that 205/55 x16 x 6 1/2" could be used as a spare in the BRZ?

·
Registered
2015 Toyota GT86
119 Posts
That RC wheel is a budget wheel so the car can actually move, the RC is sold in Japan as a base model with the full intention that the wheel will be replaced for aftermarket by enthusiasts/tuners, it also has plastic bumpers, no radio etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agreed, 215 is too narrow IMO for an 18x8.
I disagree. Granted, an 8" width wheel is starting to push the recommended limits for a 215 width tire, it also depends on the tire's tread width.

This article (How to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE - Page 2 of 5 - MotoIQ ) gives a lot of good information to consider when selecting tire sizes, and and points out that running a slightly stretched tire (215 on an 8" wheel for example) has the benefit of slightly preloading the tire sidewalls to reduce sidewall flex and slightly improve the tire's response.

More anecdotally, I run 215/45 ExtremeContact Sport tires on 17x8" wheels on my Mini Cooper and they respond beautifully on the road and at the track.

Also, for anyone looking to change wheels and tires, this site (Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. | Will They Fit ) is a good resource to visually get an idea of how a new set of wheels/tires may fit to help figure out if you'll run into any obvious fitment issues. The site will also calculate speedometer % error compared to your original wheels/tires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So now I am confused. Is the RC wheel and tire, a winter tire? Or just a cheap version of the road tire?? I wonder if that 205/55 x16 x 6 1/2" could be used as a spare in the BRZ?
Those images just illustrate wheel/tyre sizes that will definitely work. The RC wheel and tire are just the cheapest possible thing, since buyers of the RC will want to replace them ASAP and get their own wheel and tires anyway.
Not sure if a 205/55 16 could be used as a spare. It would surely be fine for the front but I don't know if using tires of a slightly different radius on the back could cause issued with the limited slip differential. It is probably ok for short distances....

·
Registered
8 Posts
225\45\18 is all the tire these cars will ever need. Its plenty wide for dry performance traction, even on a modded car with forced induction. It should be fine in the winter too. Its definitely wider than I would go if it were a dedicated winter tire, but for all seasons it should work. In all honesty, if you dont plan on adding a significant amount of power to the car the OEM size is perfect.
Hi! I am considering switch my tire to 225/40/R18 pilot sport all season 4 since I get some snow here and Costco is currently on back order for OEM 215/40/R18 tires. Do you think the slightly wider tire will fit? I also heard that going to a different tire size will affect my speedometer and odometer a little bit. Should I be concerned about this? Sorry if these are stupid questions. I am a young guy and am relatively new to cars. Thanks for any advice in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi! I am considering switch my tire to 225/40/R18 pilot sport all season 4 since I get some snow here and Costco is currently on back order for OEM 215/40/R18 tires. Do you think the slightly wider tire will fit? I also heard that going to a different tire size will affect my speedometer and odometer a little bit. Should I be concerned about this? Sorry if these are stupid questions. I am a young guy and am relatively new to cars. Thanks for any advice in advance!
Changing tire size will affect your speedometer. You can input your old tire/wheel information and new tire/wheel information here (Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset | Will They Fit ) to calculate the speedometer error. 1 or 2% difference won't really be a big deal (<1mph at 60mph)

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Thanks for the info! So it seems like I should be totally fine going from 215/40/r18 to 225/40/r18.
It will be fine. You will actually have slightly lower revs at highway speed, which is a bonus. May notice a tiny bit less off the line punch though due to the increased radius tire. The 225\40\18 is what I plan to run also. If I decide to add forced induction down the road it will get 245\35\18s on the rear only on an 8.5 wheel setup, keeping the 225s in the front. If no blower 225s will be all the tire these cars ever need. Even on a performance all season.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It will be fine. You will actually have slightly lower revs at highway speed, which is a bonus.bMay notice a tiny bit less off the line punch though due to the increased radius tire. The 225\40\18 is what I plan to run also. If I decide to add forced induction down the road it will get 245\35\18s on the rear only on an 8.5 wheel setup, keeping the 225s in the front. If no blower 225s will be all the tire these cars ever need. Even on a performance all season.
Thank you for the info! I should also be able to keep using the stock rims for 225/40/18 tires, right?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
For sure. 225s on a 7.5" rim is no problem. You can even put some spacers on if you want a wider look with more flush wheel fitment without putting on needlessly wide wheels and tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.