Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I reckon that might of been a little bit of a factor 10 years ago, but now I think the 86/BRZ twins are their own thing with todays younger guys n gals. I wouldn't be surprised to see many young kids getting the second edition because the 86/BRZ was such a cool car to look at when they were like 8-14 years old.
I agree to an extent. (Considering I’ve been reading people reference initial d/drifting on YouTube/media and in both forums)

When we followed/bought the twins when they first released, they were viewed more as this new sports car. BRZ was a new car from scratch for Subie where the Toyota was a new car inspired by the styling from a 2000GT, boxer from Sports 800, front engine RWD sports car layout, affordable like the old Corollas (AE86 chassis).

Now it’s more of a emphasis on the 86. The AE86, like the Supra, has a cult following amongst many, especially younger people.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well it’s a combination of affordability and image. The fact Toyota named the car “86” makes younger people think they’re getting into a real Sprinter Trueno

The BRZ is just a clean sheet of paper, new sports car for Subaru. So it’s easier for enthusiasts to say “Aw a good sports car” like you said.

You can see it in this forum how BRZ guys have a broader choice of colors and seem more objective where as the GR86 people like white because of initial d, “it shows the details the best” or red being that it’s one of the advertised colors since reveal. Just things I’ve noticed.
Yup.

Both are great flavors of the same platform.

Too bad Subaru didn't take it up a notch with an STi version...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
18 Posts
I reckon that might of been a little bit of a factor 10 years ago, but now I think the 86/BRZ twins are their own thing with todays younger guys n gals. I wouldn't be surprised to see many young kids getting the second edition because the 86/BRZ was such a cool car to look at when they were like 8-14 years old.
I fell in love with the new BRZ/86 as soon as I saw the first pictures of it. It was as if they looked into my mind when I was a 13-year-old and made me the ideal car I used to draw in my notebook when I was bored in class.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts