Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
This design for the Corolla looks great. Makes sense that it would share some similarities with the GR Yaris' look.

At 1340 kg (2954 pounds) it's much lighter than the standard Corolla hatchback. The manual is 1387 kg / 3060 pounds and the CVT is 1397 kg / 3080 pounds.

·
Registered
639 Posts
the honda us site says ctr starts at $38k, so the gr corolla should be around that price point... i'd assume it will be a hard sell at $40k+
I think its more like the low $40k range in the US, a good amount less than the Type R.
If the GR Corolla is going to be the same price or more than the Type R it's not going do well for Toyota. People are going to stick with the Type R because it's a proven vehicle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the GR Corolla is going to be the same price or more than the Type R it's not going do well for Toyota. People are going to stick with the Type R because it's a proven vehicle.
right, afaik the gr corolla will be *slightly cheaper- people are speculating $37k, which makes sense to me...

i just realized that the top spec gr yaris [rz-hp] costs ~$46k in japan, so $50k for the corolla variant doesn't sound that crazy after all.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Will definitely be interesting.

I can't see it being cheap! But You would imagine the wont go over the Type R price, whatever that is when they release this car.
It’s definitely a car I’m still waiting for. Like I said before, where the GR86 is a SPIRITUAL successor to the AE86 chassis, the GR Corolla is the actual successor to the long line of performance Corollas (AE86, AE111, 1999 WRC Corolla etc)
Toyota is going to have a awesome Big 3

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
It’s definitely a car I’m still waiting for. Like I said before, where the GR86 is a SPIRITUAL successor to the AE86 chassis, the GR Corolla is the actual successor to the long line of performance Corollas (AE86, AE111, 1999 WRC Corolla etc)
Toyota is going to have a awesome Big 3
I think you might be right. Its all a branding exercise with the 86 name really. FWIW I owned a corolla sportivo with the 2zz banger.

The 86/BRZ has a unique and dedicated chassis with a unique (pretty much) engine, and I think they share more with the old Supra than they do the AE86.. hjeh.

Check out this render of an updated AE86.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think you might be right. Its all a branding exercise with the 86 name really. FWIW I owned a corolla sportivo with the 2zz banger.

The 86/BRZ has a unique and dedicated chassis with a unique (pretty much) engine, and I think they share more with the old Supra than they do the AE86.. hjeh.

Check out this render of an updated AE86.

View attachment 2166
View attachment 2167
I love both and I’m glad we get them. That render looks great. Someone just made a current Corolla hatch render, looks kinda cool and funky

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
It would be amazing for sure. Im waiting to see which twin you pull the trigger on!
I've been thinking a lot about that. Because of the GR86 delay, I wont be able to test drive them back to back, and I wont be able to delay my BRZ decision and still keep my spot in queue.

Sooo, I have worked out a slightly risky way of still doing that.

My plan is to buy the BRZ (unless I really dont like its looks when I see it in person), and keep my GR86 deposit. When the GR86 releases in aus and I get a test drive I'll flip the BRZ if I want the GR86.

So if that happens and I dont keep the BRZ, I'll just be wanting to cover costs of whatever I have left on the lease, so hopefully that means I can flip it with like 2k kms for below new price for someone that didnt get into the allotments for next year. So I think its a win win.

I checked yesterday with my finance and explained my situation and they have said they can waive the early payout fee for me, the only risk is me banking on people wanting to buy one within a pretty small window, so I might discuss it with my local BRZ/86 car club in advance and see if they are keen.

The worst that happens is that I keep the BRZ - and honestly I am on the fence because of reasons I've said before. I love the look and brand of the GR86, but I prefer the more evolved and lighter BRZ engineering decisions.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've been thinking a lot about that. Because of the GR86 delay, I wont be able to test drive them back to back, and I wont be able to delay my BRZ decision and still keep my spot in queue.

My plan is to buy the BRZ (unless I really dont like its looks when I see it in person), and keep my GR86 deposit. When the GR86 releases in aus and I get a test drive I'll flip the BRZ if I want the GR86.

So if that happens and I dont keep the BRZ, I'll just be wanting to cover costs of whatever I have left on the lease, so hopefully that means I can flip it with like 2k kms for below new price for someone that didnt get into the allotments for next year. So I think its a win win.

I checked yesterday with my finance and explained my situation and they have said they can waive the early payout fee for me, the only risk is me banking on people wanting to buy one within a pretty small window, so I might discuss it with my local BRZ/86 car club in advance and see if they are keen.

The worst that happens is that I keep the BRZ - and honestly I am on the fence because of reasons I've said before. I love the look and brand of the GR86, but I prefer the more evolved and lighter BRZ engineering decisions.
Well that's why I asked, because by how you articulate things and how your demeanor is, I figured you would gravitate towards the BRZ. The thing I respect about the BRZ customers is everything isn't about drifting, initial d, cambered wheels etc. Its just "I want a well put together sports car."

·
Registered
512 Posts

Looks like DK shares the same perspective
Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Multimedia

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well that's why I asked, because by how you articulate things and how your demeanor is, I figured you would gravitate towards the BRZ. The thing I respect about the BRZ customers is everything isn't about drifting, initial d, cambered wheels etc. Its just "I want a well put together sports car."
It also plays into demographics.

I notice that the younger crowed gravitates more towards the 86 and older folks to the BRZ.
But that might have more to do with experience, so it does vary.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It also plays into demographics.

I notice that the younger crowed gravitates more towards the 86 and older folks to the BRZ.
But that might have more to do with experience, so it does vary.
Well it’s a combination of affordability and image. The fact Toyota named the car “86” makes younger people think they’re getting into a real Sprinter Trueno

The BRZ is just a clean sheet of paper, new sports car for Subaru. So it’s easier for enthusiasts to say “Aw a good sports car” like you said.

You can see it in this forum how BRZ guys have a broader choice of colors and seem more objective where as the GR86 people like white because of initial d, “it shows the details the best” or red being that it’s one of the advertised colors since reveal. Just things I’ve noticed.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Interesting discussion! I would say I'd classify as 'old' relatively speaking. I just found the front end of the 86 to be more pleasing to my eye. The brz's hood that seems sloped down more and the grille/fog area weren't really doing it for me. Though I did consider both - I prefer the pastel blue of the 86, though WR Blue is very nice as well.

I do dislike the black wheels on the 86 and prefer the gunmetal on the BRZ premium though. But that problem can be solved. :)

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
Well it’s a combination of affordability and image. The fact Toyota named the car “86” makes younger people think they’re getting into a real Sprinter Trueno
I reckon that might of been a little bit of a factor 10 years ago, but now I think the 86/BRZ twins are their own thing with todays younger guys n gals. I wouldn't be surprised to see many young kids getting the second edition because the 86/BRZ was such a cool car to look at when they were like 8-14 years old.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts