Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my car with 8 miles on the odometer, and wanted to share my first impressions. Jus put 50 miles on it.

My other cars are all auto, except my 991.2 GT3, so a bit of an unfair comparisons. Nonetheless...

1. I am impressed with the manual. Very precise and shorter shifts than the GT3. Still mechanical, but more thin and JDM vs German tank like feeling.

2. Steering is impressive, very immediate and feedbackee. However, the whole thing is ruined by the extreme body roll. WTF, my Tesla Model S performance has less body roll. Which brings me to the suspension.

3. Suspension- the let down. But with some good coil overs and a 1.5 inch drop, this car will be a dream to drive. Oh, this mod will make this car steer equal or better than Porshce.

4. Power- WTF, I am surprised how much this thing pulls. I have played between 2.5-4k rpm, and the engine dose not disappoint. What it lacks is throttle response, which is dismal in this car. To a point where gear changes are ridiculously lame. Activating Track mode makes things much better, but not perfect. We need a tune with better throttle response!!!

All said, I think this car needs a nice stiffer coilover setup with 1.5-1.75 inch drop, plus a a bit more responsive throttle.

I may be wrong, but appreciate feedback.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agreed on the dismal throttle response. The body roll wasn’t too much of a bother on track, but the stock camber was quite awful. I don’t think it needs much of a drop, more needs camber desperately, especially front.

Steering feel is definitely good, and power is honestly great. The OEM tires are alright, not great on track. Temps were solid when I tracked it, can’t say the same about the old one w/o oil cooler.

Overall less “fixes” needed than the last gen. Just needs some suspension work, pads/fluids/lines, good tires, and a tune/headers/exhaust while I’m at it, and I’ll be done haha. And maybe a bucket seat. 😂.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Surprised with the body roll comments unless you are only talking for track since everyone reviewing has said it is better than the gen 1. I went from a gen 1 to an MX-5 and always thought the MX-5 was going to tip over after the 86

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surprised with the body roll comments unless you are only talking for track since everyone reviewing has said it is better than the gen 1. I went from a gen 1 to an MX-5 and always thought the MX-5 was going to tip over after the 86
I felt the excessive body roll just on a freeway entrance. On track it would be really bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Miata is far worse tbh, this was absolutely bearable/usable, just not the spring rates I run on track cars

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm surprised to hear the comments about poor throttle response. Haven't heard this mentioned yet. I wonder if it's worse than the first gens? I owned a 2014 FRS and felt the throttle response perfectly fine. My Mom's 992 carrera S's throttle response feels far slower than my FRS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
on the throttle response piece, I’ll stand by that, was pretty bad, comparing to say an ND Miata or E46 M3. The other thing that reminded me of was the rev hang, irritating but you can drive around it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
So I just picked up my car with 8 miles on the odometer, and wanted to share my first impressions. Jus put 50 miles on it.

My other cars are all auto, except my 991.2 GT3, so a bit of an unfair comparisons. Nonetheless...

1. I am impressed with the manual. Very precise and shorter shifts than the GT3. Still mechanical, but more thin and JDM vs German tank like feeling.

2. Steering is impressive, very immediate and feedbackee. However, the whole thing is ruined by the extreme body roll. WTF, my Tesla Model S performance has less body roll. Which brings me to the suspension.

3. Suspension- the let down. But with some good coil overs and a 1.5 inch drop, this car will be a dream to drive. Oh, this mod will make this car steer equal or better than Porshce.

4. Power- WTF, I am surprised how much this thing pulls. I have played between 2.5-4k rpm, and the engine dose not disappoint. What it lacks is throttle response, which is dismal in this car. To a point where gear changes are ridiculously lame. Activating Track mode makes things much better, but not perfect. We need a tune with better throttle response!!!

All said, I think this car needs a nice stiffer coilover setup with 1.5-1.75 inch drop, plus a a bit more responsive throttle.

I may be wrong, but appreciate feedback.
What kind of coilovers are you going to go with on your BRZ @Gags11?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Miata is far worse tbh, this was absolutely bearable/usable, just not the spring rates I run on track cars
Mine as always will be my daily, so I'm not fussed how it is on a track. Glad you made the distinction. Big difference when rating a car if for totally different purposes.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
271 Posts
Geesh. For a car that gets such praise for handling....its got body roll problems? I'll have to see about this. Im not convinced. I'll have to wait until March though. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Geesh. For a car that gets such praise for handling....its got body roll problems? I'll have to see about this. Im not convinced. I'll have to wait until March though. :)
Handling and body roll is fine for daily street driving. For me, this will go to the track often, so it would be more noticeable.

In addition, steering is adversely effected due to the roll, it could be way sharper if there was less lean with initial turn in.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well this is the first I'm hearing about body roll. In fact I've read that the GR86 has more body roll than the BRZ. All the road test publications have absolutely praised its handling. In fact Matt Fara from Smoking Tire was astonished at how fast he could take corners up in the hills above LA by the BRZ Limited.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well this is the first I'm hearing about body roll. In fact I've read that the GR86 has more body roll than the BRZ. All the road test publications have absolutely praised its handling. In fact Matt Fara from Smoking Tire was astonished at how fast he could take corners up in the hills above LA by the BRZ Limited.
It's important to keep in mind these are everyone's opinions. Some people have more track experience than others, and everyone has their own preferences. It's totally possible that OP is a track expert, but he also may be under the impression stiff = good, which is certainly not the case.

Either way, all we can do is test drive it for ourselves. Also remember, if you're street driving the car, you don't need a rock solid suspension. And if you're tracking the car, you'd be replacing the suspension regardless. I'd prefer a soft setup to begin with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well this is the first I'm hearing about body roll. In fact I've read that the GR86 has more body roll than the BRZ. All the road test publications have absolutely praised its handling. In fact Matt Fara from Smoking Tire was astonished at how fast he
Don’t get me wrong. In my very subjective opinion this car handles absolutely great. However, everything is relative. My benchmark is the GT3, and this car has way too much body roll compared to the GT3.

1 - 20 of 332 Posts