Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my WRB BRZ on Saturday and spent some time in it for the past two days.
First impression, the car is very low. Once I sit in the car, the seat holds me tight in place but not in an uncomfortable way. Clutch is light and bite point is right in the middle. Gears are clear but they are close to each other so I did shift to the wrong gear a few time at the beginning but all good afterwards. One thing I don't like about is when shifting into 1st gear, if you pull too hard to the left, there is a "cling" sound from the transmission. Possibly because of the reverse gear protection as the reverse gear is on the upper left of the gear shifter. Steering is precise and has the appropriate amount of weight on it. Getting in and out of the car is a bit tricky though. I am about 5 feet 6 inches (168cm) tall and I have to move the seat backwards every time when getting out of the car. The design of the rocker panel is good for aerodynamics but not good when getting in and out of the car when it is wet and dirty. The back of your pants will definitely get wet and dirty as you get in and out of the car.

Ride is nice and suspension is supportive when going through bumps. My city went through a snow storm just before my delivery date so I have to put on winter tires instead of driving on the stock Michelin PS4 tires. The car is running on a set of Michelin X-Ice Snow (205/50R17) and the ride is pleasant. Ground clearance is pretty good for what it is. Based on spec, the stock clearance is the same as the Impreza at 5.1 inches (130mm). Suspension is hard but compliant enough for daily driving. The cabin is fairly quiet, not much wind or road noise from my perspective (only drove up to 70km/h in the past two days). Grip is definitely a challenge when the car is on icy surface though. Even with winter tires, the back of the car will easily slide out under slight throttle in 1st gear but traction control is doing a good job on reducing the power and applying brakes to keep the car straight. I did add some extra weight in the trunk today to help put down more weight on the rear wheels (a bag of 18kg sand and a bag of 20kg ice melt).

The infotainment is a bit disappointed due to poor resolution compare to other Subaru vehicles (I also own a 2020 Ascent which has a much better resolution). Overall the infotainment is doing the job but I definitely want the resolution to match up with other Subaru vehicles. The speakers do their job but don't expect high quality sound from it. Seatbelt is annoying though because the tongue keeps going through the strap retainer and I have to fix it every time. Even with the strap retainer, the belt is still rubbing against my neck which I will get a seat belt cover for sure. Trunk space is okay with some storage under the cover. There is enough space to put a full size spare under the cover but too bad the car only comes with a fix-a-flat kit.

Overall the car is nice to drive and I don't regret my purchase at all.
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Snow Land vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fellow Canadian here, nice ride! Thanks for sharing your experience! After seeing it in person I agree that it sits very low on the ground, would be annoying to move the seat everytime you get in and out... it looks very elegant though. I also plan on getting the same tire as well but on 18" for the inevitable snow arriving here in BC, and perhaps aftermarket door speakers and underseat powered subwoofer (hopefully there is sufficient space) to improve the audio system if it does not meet my expectations

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fellow Canadian here, nice ride! Thanks for sharing your experience! After seeing it in person I agree that it sits very low on the ground, would be annoying to move the seat everytime you get in and out... it looks very elegant though. I also plan on getting the same tire as well but on 18" for the inevitable snow arriving here in BC, and perhaps aftermarket door speakers and underseat powered subwoofer (hopefully there is sufficient space) to improve the audio system if it does not meet my expectations
From my research, there is no winter tire available with the OEM tire size though. Are you getting 205 or 225 width instead?
The speakers are not a concern for me since I'd rather enjoy the sound of the engine lol. I don't think there is enough space for underseat subwoofer though...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dang! I'll figure something out once I get mine from the dealership then, or just leave it as it is.
Yeah 225 40R18s is what I found on Canadian Tire, so I'll go most likely with that. Mostly because I plan on swapping winters tires to the OEM wheels once I get aftermarket wheels. Don't wanna deal with different tire sizes

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dang! I'll figure something out once I get mine from the dealership then, or just leave it as it is.
Yeah 225 40R18s is what I found on Canadian Tire, so I'll go most likely with that. Mostly because I plan on swapping winters tires to the OEM wheels once I get aftermarket wheels. Don't wanna deal with different tire sizes
You can always look for a set of used winter tires too, as long as the tread is good and the manufacturing date is within the past 2 to 3 years. It is a much cheaper option than getting new tires. I bought mine for $500, tires and rims together (hub caps are from Amazon though), and the tires are only used one season with a manufacturing date in the middle of 2019.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Has the car changed radically from the gen 1 in terms of seat and door? Asking because I am 5'10" and I actually found the gen 1 a lot easier to get in and out of than a normal sedan due to the door going back passed the seat.
On a side note... Has everyone except me ordered it in Blue? It seems like every one I see is blue haha.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has the car changed radically from the gen 1 in terms of seat and door? Asking because I am 5'10" and I actually found the gen 1 a lot easier to get in and out of than a normal sedan due to the door going back passed the seat.
On a side note... Has everyone except me ordered it in Blue? It seems like every one I see is blue haha.
I don't have long legs so in order for me to push the clutch all the way down, I have to sit upfront. I can get in and out of the car without moving the seat but it is much easier to do so by moving the seat backwards.

You can get soto zero in the stock 18 inch tires. Awesome for winter weather. I am going AS Pilot Sport because I'm not going to drive in the snow. Just the cold.
In Canada we don't have any winter tires that are sold in the size of 215/40R18. If we want to stick with 18, we will need to make it 205/40R18 or 225/40R18. The only available tire for 205/40R18 is the Sottozero3 but there are more choices if we go with 225/40R18.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How is the front plate attached? Did you have to drill holes in the bumper?
Yes they have to drill the holes. The one that comes with the car is based on the Japanese plate spec so it does not match with the North American plate spec. For those who want to place the license plate on the tow hook spot, you will be disappointed because the cover for the front tow hook is huge as shown in the picture below.

Automotive design Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Parallel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes they have to drill the holes. The one that comes with the car is based on the Japanese plate spec so it does not match with the North American plate spec. For those who want to place the license plate on the tow hook spot, you will be disappointed because the cover for the front tow hook is huge as shown in the picture below.
Damn, that's kind of irritating. I guess I'll just drill the holes when mine arrives.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Damn, that's kind of irritating. I guess I'll just drill the holes when mine arrives.
I would buy this adapter for the front where there are pre-drilled holes. I might even get one for the rear if there are no holes already drilled.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would buy this adapter for the front where there are pre-drilled holes. I might even get one for the rear if there are no holes already drilled.
For sure that will work for the front. The back has no pre-drilled hole because it is mounted to the bumper. You do need to put all 4 bolts in for the back one though.

Since there's no spare, would you find it possible to put the sand/salt bags in that spot to retain some storage space?
I thought of that too but there is a storage bin in it with the fix-a-flat kit so I store other stuff such as the manual, wheel locks, etc in it instead. It is not my daily anyways so I am not too concern about the sand and ice melt taking up the space of the trunk.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Picked up my WRB BRZ on Saturday and spent some time in it for the past two days.
First impression, the car is very low. Once I sit in the car, the seat holds me tight in place but not in an uncomfortable way. Clutch is light and bite point is right in the middle. Gears are clear but they are close to each other so I did shift to the wrong gear a few time at the beginning but all good afterwards. One thing I don't like about is when shifting into 1st gear, if you pull too hard to the left, there is a "cling" sound from the transmission. Possibly because of the reverse gear protection as the reverse gear is on the upper left of the gear shifter. Steering is precise and has the appropriate amount of weight on it. Getting in and out of the car is a bit tricky though. I am about 5 feet 6 inches (168cm) tall and I have to move the seat backwards every time when getting out of the car. The design of the rocker panel is good for aerodynamics but not good when getting in and out of the car when it is wet and dirty. The back of your pants will definitely get wet and dirty as you get in and out of the car.

Ride is nice and suspension is supportive when going through bumps. My city went through a snow storm just before my delivery date so I have to put on winter tires instead of driving on the stock Michelin PS4 tires. The car is running on a set of Michelin X-Ice Snow (205/50R17) and the ride is pleasant. Ground clearance is pretty good for what it is. Based on spec, the stock clearance is the same as the Impreza at 5.1 inches (130mm). Suspension is hard but compliant enough for daily driving. The cabin is fairly quiet, not much wind or road noise from my perspective (only drove up to 70km/h in the past two days). Grip is definitely a challenge when the car is on icy surface though. Even with winter tires, the back of the car will easily slide out under slight throttle in 1st gear but traction control is doing a good job on reducing the power and applying brakes to keep the car straight. I did add some extra weight in the trunk today to help put down more weight on the rear wheels (a bag of 18kg sand and a bag of 20kg ice melt).

The infotainment is a bit disappointed due to poor resolution compare to other Subaru vehicles (I also own a 2020 Ascent which has a much better resolution). Overall the infotainment is doing the job but I definitely want the resolution to match up with other Subaru vehicles. The speakers do their job but don't expect high quality sound from it. Seatbelt is annoying though because the tongue keeps going through the strap retainer and I have to fix it every time. Even with the strap retainer, the belt is still rubbing against my neck which I will get a seat belt cover for sure. Trunk space is okay with some storage under the cover. There is enough space to put a full size spare under the cover but too bad the car only comes with a fix-a-flat kit.

Overall the car is nice to drive and I don't regret my purchase at all.
View attachment 2872
View attachment 2873
Congratulations on picking up your BRZ @kevinieung! Are you going to get separate rims for winter driving or just use the stock rims?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts