Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport tech 6MT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got about 6-7 inches of snow last night so was curious how the BRZ would do in the snow. Long story short amazing, didn’t get stuck didn’t have any traction issues and it was amazing, however once I got home earlier today I went to move the car onto the street so I could shovel my driveway again and the vehicle would move only very slowly to, which I found odd since there was only about 2 inches of snow on the ground. Asked my fiancé to check if the rear wheels were spinning and they were, however the front wheels were locked/frozen in place. After about 25 minutes of trying to shake them loose I ended up throwing hot water on the brakes and tapping the rims with a rubber mallet. The came loose and no problems since. Just thought I would throw this on here! Pic attached 😉
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had this happen to me too with my CRV. My back wheels were frozen with a good size chuck of ice. So I was dragging both back wheels while. When I stopped, someone signaled me to roll my window down and asked if I was driving with my parking brake on because my back wheels weren't turning. I was shocked so I pulled over and checked it out. It did look funny for.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wonder if some snow was forced through the cooling ducts on the front bumper since the snow was fairly deep. And then once parked, heat from the brake discs or possibly proximity to the warm engine bay melted the snow, which then turned to ice once the car was parked. If this is the case, maybe worth blocking the cooling ducts somehow until warmer weather?

Snow can do weird things to vehicles. Once I was working out in the middle of nowhere and was staying at a motel. There was a snowstorm with very high winds overnight. The temp was well below 0 degrees F so I had my trusty old Honda Element plugged in (engine block heater). Well, the wind was howling so much that a small snow drift formed in the engine bay (there are large openings to the engine bay in the front wheel wells on an Element), and due to the block heater creating enough heat to melt some of the snow, ice inundated the starter and the car wouldn't start. I had to have it towed. Once it thawed out inside a heated shop it started right up.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I never had wheels lock up from ice, but have had rotors freeze under similar circumstances in an old Subaru. It was a bit of a clencher the first time it happened and I went to stop. Luckily, it was at low speed and nobody was around to hit. Good to know it does well in the snow!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We got about 6-7 inches of snow last night so was curious how the BRZ would do in the snow. Long story short amazing, didn’t get stuck didn’t have any traction issues and it was amazing, however once I got home earlier today I went to move the car onto the street so I could shovel my driveway again and the vehicle would move only very slowly to, which I found odd since there was only about 2 inches of snow on the ground. Asked my fiancé to check if the rear wheels were spinning and they were, however the front wheels were locked/frozen in place. After about 25 minutes of trying to shake them loose I ended up throwing hot water on the brakes and tapping the rims with a rubber mallet. The came loose and no problems since. Just thought I would throw this on here! Pic attached 😉 View attachment 3527
We got about 6-7 inches of snow last night so was curious how the BRZ would do in the snow. Long story short amazing, didn’t get stuck didn’t have any traction issues and it was amazing, however once I got home earlier today I went to move the car onto the street so I could shovel my driveway again and the vehicle would move only very slowly to, which I found odd since there was only about 2 inches of snow on the ground. Asked my fiancé to check if the rear wheels were spinning and they were, however the front wheels were locked/frozen in place. After about 25 minutes of trying to shake them loose I ended up throwing hot water on the brakes and tapping the rims with a rubber mallet. The came loose and no problems since. Just thought I would throw this on here! Pic attached 😉 View attachment 3527
This makes me genuinely excited. If this is the worst we can expect so far, and it happens to pretty much anything but carbon ceramics, then my hope is only growing. This car, the price, the experience it delivers, and the depressingly rare perfect execution on the R&D over last gen... This almost seems too good to be true these days.

Getting one as a daily once they become available near me. Really looking forward to having it as a pair with my E30 to have 24/7 RWD driving dynamics.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
83 Posts
This is probably because of the snow around the wheel. The brake itself has some heat generated when you drive it out and melt some of the snow pack on the wheels. Because the temperature drop so quickly in the past few days, there isn't enough time for the melted snow to dry off before it freeze up again. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you again.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is probably because of the snow around the wheel. The brake itself has some heat generated when you drive it out and melt some of the snow pack on the wheels. Because the temperature drop so quickly in the past few days, there isn't enough time for the melted snow to dry off before it freeze up again. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you again.
For those up North here, it's the cost of doing business lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts