Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,806 Posts
There is quite a bit of information out there stating that due to how these boxer engines are balanced that a light weight crank pulley is actually a rather harmful mod. If you have other info, I am interested. Cheap\easy mods are always great. That is unless they self destruct your engine.

Reactions: repeet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Over 150,000mi and 20yrs on my ej20. I don't read it. I live it. A lightened crank pully took care of my rev-hang quite nicely making rev-matching much easier. Although, if there is one thing I learned in my 57yrs it's you never stop learning. Please enlighten me on this.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The guy in the video explains it better that I can. But it certainly is not the 1st time I have heard that light crank pulleys can damage certain engines. I have used plenty in the past with great results as well. But I have been hesitant to try it on this car. The car has enough quirks and oddities that drive me nuts already. I dont want to make an already sensitive engine any worse.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Rev hang is an ECU function for emissions, not a result of a heavy crank pulley (or flywheel, which would be the most likely traditional source of the problem). A 20-year-old car wouldn’t have had it unless you’re rounding up a few years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rev hang is an ECU function for emissions, not a result of a heavy crank pulley (or flywheel, which would be the most likely traditional source of the problem). A 20-year-old car wouldn’t have had it unless you’re rounding up a few years.
03 WRX build date 10/02. Had a very forgiving ECU (Somthing about a closed loop ECU vs an open loop in the 04 WRX) as reflashed by Junior Barrios at P&L Motorsports.No cats,o2sensor defeat. The only emissions control it had was a pcv valve. But I ran a Cobb lightweight pulley way before my tune. No spun bearings,no ringland failure, no rod knock,no blown head gasket, no glass trans. I think I must be the luckiest Subaru boxer owner ever. If rev-hang is is an ECU function for emissions can't I just get it tuned out.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
401 Posts
03 WRX build date 10/02. Had a very forgiving ECU (Somthing about a closed loop ECU vs an open loop in the 04 WRX) as reflashed by Junior Barrios at P&L Motorsports.No cats,o2sensor defeat. The only emissions control it had was a pcv valve. But I ran a Cobb lightweight pulley way before my tune. No spun bearings,no ringland failure, no rod knock,no blown head gasket, no glass trans. I think I must be the luckiest Subaru boxer owner ever. If rev-hang is is an ECU function for emissions can't I just get it tuned out.
Yes, where is the tune out option for this rev hang? It’s clearly there for no good reason and is likely the main cause of shifting issues some of us feel we are dealing with. Especially those of us that came from 80s and 90s manual transmissions!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, where is the tune out option for this rev hang? It’s clearly there for no good reason and is likely the main cause of shifting issues some of us feel we are dealing with. Especially those of us that came from 80s and 90s manual transmissions!
THANK you. I thought I was the only one, I came from a 1993 Celica GT and it took me like 1200 miles to realize why i felt like my shifts were inconsistent, is timing the rev hang.

·
Registered
401 Posts
THANK you. I thought I was the only one, I came from a 1993 Celica GT and it took me like 1200 miles to realize why i felt like my shifts were inconsistent, is timing the rev hang.
Yep - you are not the only one. Im at about 4200mi now and its better but early on I was wondering if I should have got the automatic! It was that bad.... :). Of course, now we'll get used to this and go back to an older sports car and start all over again. LOL

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
An exhaust system solves the problem. Once you can hear the revs it all just falls into place. Trying to time an inconsistent system with little to no feedback is nearly impossible. If you can hear what is happening there should be nothing you cant drive smoothly.

Reactions: slowv6

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
392 Posts
An exhaust system solves the problem. Once you can hear the revs it all just falls into place. Trying to time an inconsistent system with little to no feedback is nearly impossible. If you can hear what is happening there should be nothing you cant drive smoothly.
Yes may have left that small detail out . Unplugged the speaker n get an exhaust then you don't really worry about the Rev hang

·
Registered
23 BRZ
4 Posts
I agree. I was all kinds of notchy in shifting. Added an exhaust and stopped looking at the rev counter and its hard to not be smooth at this point.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Anyone see this video?
Hmmmm. Very interesting. Its too bad we cant just use software only to do this though. Where is that "box" going to mount? I hope we get more software-based tuning options for this car. Tuning out rev-hang & getting more linear throttle response would make this car damned near perfect. :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I find it hilarious that I constantly think: this car would be just about perfect if it had the steering (aftermarket steering wheel was transformational) and clutch feel (cable), throttle response, lack of rev hang, and top gear ratio (27mph/1000rpm) of my 1990 Legacy wagon. The funny flip side of the equation is that the GR is quieter inside.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts