Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
BRZ S (Limited) Manual Silver
531 Posts
It definitely requires more of a stab than a blip, and I agree with others that the pedal placement could be a lot better. My ND Miata was perfect. My BRZ definitely isn’t.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
401 Posts
It definitely requires more of a stab than a blip, and I agree with others that the pedal placement could be a lot better. My ND Miata was perfect. My BRZ definitely isn’t.
Subie screwed up by not having blip-assist like the Civic Si sedan does. It should rev match for you, IMO. If they are gonna use all this computer stuff on cars then make it useful, LOL. :)

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,805 Posts
Im gonna disagree. The point is for the purity of a lightweight, RWD, manual, minimalist sports car IMO. Changing any 1 of those things creates something else entirely. I dislike all the "features" and assists on modern cars, especially if it has a manual. I dont want eyesight, or the car to do anything I dont tell it to. That was actually a huge factor as to why I bought this car. I never see the point in saying you want to drive a manual, yet have all the "hard" work done for you. Rev matching, hill assist, etc is all part of the manual experience. Old school mindset I suppose.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
392 Posts
Im gonna disagree. The point is for the purity of a lightweight, RWD, manual, minimalist sports car IMO. Changing any 1 of those things creates something else entirely. I dislike all the "features" and assists on modern cars, especially if it has a manual. I dont want eyesight, or the car to do anything I dont tell it to. That was actually a huge factor as to why I bought this car. I never see the point in saying you want to drive a manual, yet have all the "hard" work done for you. Rev matching, hill assist, etc is all part of the manual experience. Old school mindset I suppose.
yeap, if i want the car does everything for me, there are plenty automatic / dsg cars out there that could run circles around our little toyobaru. somehow the focus group does a great job developing this car and packaged it, ie:. Who would have thought the base model (that I bought) came with heated side mirrors?

·
Registered
531 Posts
It’s not like auto rev match would weigh anything. Either do that or get the pedal placement right.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
It’s not like auto rev match would weigh anything. Either do that or get the pedal placement right.
IDK. That is going to vary from driver to driver. I have zero issues in this department with my car. Heel toe blips are easy and rev matched shifts are smooth. There are mods to change pedal position if it does not work well for you. But the only way to get better is to keep doing it. Not have it done for you.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The throttle is a little odd, but it didn't take me long at all to adapt for heel-toe. Took me a lot longer to figure out the engagement point from a stop. I'm glad it doesn't have rev matching. Enjoying the drive for me is knowing when I get it right 99% of the time, it was me and I got to that point with honest practice when I wasn't able to hit it 99% of the time. Auto rev match might as well be DCT. For me, it's related to the IKEA Effect where one appreciates things that require more work far greater than something easy and I think that effect is particularly pronounced for me.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I dont see how one easy addition to manual shifting would have taken away from the cars feel or fun factor. Its not hard work - its more that this transmission isnt really the best & Im not the only one that has had issues with it. This is coming from a manual driver with 30+ year experience driving all kinds of makes & models.

yeap, if i want the car does everything for me, there are plenty automatic / dsg cars out there that could run circles around our little toyobaru. somehow the focus group does a great job developing this car and packaged it, ie:. Who would have thought the base model (that I bought) came with heated side mirrors?
Does everything != assisted rev match, IMO. Its one small item. A full automatic and various other assists are totally different. And , Like I said - these cars basically have personalities now with so much digital gimmickry so throw some code at a simple rev match algorithm, please. ;)

IDK. That is going to vary from driver to driver. I have zero issues in this department with my car. Heel toe blips are easy and rev matched shifts are smooth. There are mods to change pedal position if it does not work well for you. But the only way to get better is to keep doing it. Not have it done for you.
Driver to driver nails it. Glad that some find this all to be textbook perfect but for some of us it isnt. I still find shifting inconsistent at times and heel/toe is just not an option. Not with the on/off switch clutch in this car. I also really dont want to "practice" on my car which just beats the crap out of it. Its clear that I wont be able to heel toe this car and will be lucky to just basic rev match consistently. It is what it is. Doesnt take away from the enjoyment but this is one of the weaker transmissions Ive ever owned as far as feel goes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I dont see how one easy addition to manual shifting would have taken away from the cars feel or fun factor. Its not hard work - its more that this transmission isnt really the best & Im not the only one that has had issues with it. ...
Also it's not as if adding a rev-matching function imposes any limitation on those who wish to heel-toe, since it can be easily disabled with a button press as with the Nissan Z. So best of both worlds....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can heel toe fine at street speeds oddly enough but on track i really had to think about it. I didn’t have this issue with NA Miata, ND Miata, or GT4. Those cars were very intuitive to drive. I do struggle to rev match a 997 Carrera because it too has a very laggy throttle.

I think I adapted somewhat on the third track day. We’ll see how it goes. I would say there are more intuitive cars to drive so it could be better. But it is what it is. I would not want rev match anyway. It’s good not to have that crutch otherwise there would be the temptation to use it all the time. Or maybe the PS4 tires are just chirpy and it’s actually been fine since I don’t really feel much of a drag when it happens.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Also it's not as if adding a rev-matching function imposes any limitation on those who wish to heel-toe, since it can be easily disabled with a button press as with the Nissan Z. So best of both worlds....
That’s exactly my point. It’s easy to turn off and is there for those of us that struggle with these advanced techniques. I need to be thinking about my braking and cornering!

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
1,068 Posts
I know that’s the usual experience but ironically that doesn’t seem to be the case for me with this car
The brake pedal is very firm which makes it easy (for me) to heel/toe to blip the throttle by rolling my foot to stab at the throttle (as others have have stated). I have double D wide feet which helps and I seem to to best wearing work (dress) shoes due in part to the relatively small pedal box.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Yeah, but that dulls your ability to actually learn to heel/toe, or get better at it.
That is my point. I have seen a ton of people that praise hondas or hyundai for having auto rev match. They all say they will only use it until they get good at it, then turn it off. But then they never do. 5 years of veloster N ownership later, still cant drive.

Reactions: Duchess

·
Registered
531 Posts
The pedal placement on my ND was perfect and heel toe was easy. It’s not perfect on the BRZ and no amount of practice is going to fix that.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts