Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just recently got a 2023 BRZ. I've been learning to drive manual for it for a while too so I'm glad to be finally be putting all that practice to use. Usually, I found it easy to rev match on other cars such as the camry, Nissan micra and Mazda 3. However, in this car, even if I blip the throttle it takes a while for the revs to come up before I can match it properly. So long story short, I've been struggling a bit with rev matching here. How do you guys blip the throttle? I'm keen to see what people say they did.

Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
There is just a little lag with the throttle response. Its just a matter of getting the timing right. That and don't be shy with the throttle. Its less of a blip and more of a stab I find. 馃榿

Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
Hi, just recently got a 2023 BRZ. I've been learning to drive manual for it for a while too so I'm glad to be finally be putting all that practice to use. Usually, I found it easy to rev match on other cars such as the camry, Nissan micra and Mazda 3. However, in this car, even if I blip the throttle it takes a while for the revs to come up before I can match it properly. So long story short, I've been struggling a bit with rev matching here. How do you guys blip the throttle? I'm keen to see what people say they did.
Just timing, you will get it. Its more difficult to do it street driving because the there is more delay in the throttle - so you kind of have to adjust if your blipping from lower revs.

Registered
2023 Neptune Blue GR86 Premium 6MT
I've found the best way for me is a quick stab halfway get the revs where they need to be for an acceptable, smooth downshift. Adding that much fuel to the motor that quickly also lets me get some of those sweet pops and cracks out of my exhaust.

Registered
'23 BRZ Limited - 6MT - SBP
There is a HUGE difference between rev matching on the track and street. On the track you are typically DEEP into the brakes which places your foot further down the pedal travel. A blip while hard on the brakes gives A LOT more throttle than a blip while casually approaching a turn on the street...that would be where the stab comes in.

Registered
If you are heal toeing, you have to move your foot slightly to the right so that it's easier to get enough of the rest of your foot on the throttle pedal. What I do is move my foot over so I have about 3rd on the brake pedal. Then I plant my heal a little to the right(by pivoting my heal) so I can twist my ankle slightly to get my foot on the throttle pedal to get my revs up. Of course my clutch is already depressed. As I blip the throttle I down shift(usually from 3rd to 2nd). I then quickly move my heal back to center and let out the clutch. I try to do this quickly but smoothly. My biggest problem is that sometimes I'm a little late in letting out the clutch and then you get a jerky engine brake. If you do it correctly your engine brake is smooth. For me it depends on the day. But remember if you pivot your heal to the right you will be able to get enough of your foot on the throttle for a decent blip. Practice, practice, practice.

Registered
One thing I've noticed is that when rev matching, the throttle on this car isn't the most consistent thing when compared to other cars I've driven - most recently my two prior WRXs. There are times when I've blipped it and almost nothing happens at all, and other times - often it seems when the engine is still a bit cold - where it'll way over-rev vs what's necessary. I've been rev-matching since I started driving around 35 years ago, so it's not me or lack of experience, it's just the way the throttle responds. Most of the time it's fine, but there's enough of the odd misses that it stands out. Hopefully, something they'll fix with an update. One of my only complaints about the car.

Registered
I don't have the car yet, but the non-linear mapping of the throttle pedal might be the culprit here. It is reported, that 30% of the pedal travel already gives about 50% of the available power output. No wonder then, that it is difficult to modulate the power and blip the gas for rev matching. With a tune this should be easily fixable though.

Registered
I don't have the car yet, but the non-linear mapping of the throttle pedal might be the culprit here. It is reported, that 30% of the pedal travel already gives about 50% of the available power output. No wonder then, that it is difficult to modulate the power and blip the gas for rev matching. With a tune this should be easily fixable though.
Would definitely explain how hard it feels like this car pulls at 3.5k rpm with just a bit of throttle, but flooring it doesn't offer a ton more power as quickly.

Anyone have any other info about tuning solutions for this car yet?

Registered
When maps are available, it would be nice to adjust the default throttle action to linear with no ramp delay to mimic the classic throttle cable action of the past, The standard throttle delay modern cars have makes a good engine feel soggy on response like it鈥檚 got a massive fly wheel. I have read the GR version has a faster ramp up upon throttle input, so it鈥檚 definitely adjustable.

Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
Yeah, I am just getting comfortable with rev-matching in my 2022. Forget heel and toe, LOL. Next year when I get the car to a track Ill see how that goes. Its just not a great transmission & clutch setup on these cars. Not terrible, but Ive driven so many others that are just easier to drive smoothly.

Registered
Not so sure about that. WRXs are the same and I never had any issues with rev matching or throttle control on either my '16 or '19. There's just a certain inconsistency with the '22+ BRZ/86s that is somewhat unique and hopefully something they eventually address.

Registered
When maps are available, it would be nice to adjust the default throttle action to linear with no ramp delay to mimic the classic throttle cable action of the past, The standard throttle delay modern cars have makes a good engine feel soggy on response like it鈥檚 got a massive fly wheel. I have read the GR version has a faster ramp up upon throttle input, so it鈥檚 definitely adjustable.
Hmh, cable is no guarantee for being linear. I mean the intake throttle position flap is like a water tap. First 50% open has a huge effect. The other half not so much. With drive by wire you could actually make the gas pedal position more linear in relation to what torque you would expect.

Registered
22 Trueno Blue
where is your clutch engagement point, I felt like I need to copy and paste my one response to all these issues:

Try adjust your clutch engagement point and while you at it, remove the clutch spring to see if this improves.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts