Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some people posted on 86 Facebook group that they had to order the jdm exhaust tips for $100+

I went ahead and loosened the 10mm bolts at the bottom of the tips.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Fluid

I first try to just pull as close to the edges and this 1 bolt will not be able to tight the tips.

2nd try. Pull the whole tip out and use a screw driver to bent the tips outward a bit.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel Hubcap

The tabs are tighter now

Definitely better now, especially it's free.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
963 Posts
I saw some people posted on 86 Facebook group that they had to order the jdm exhaust tips for $100+

I went ahead and loosened the 10mm bolts at the bottom of the tips.
View attachment 3823

I first try to just pull as close to the edges and this 1 bolt will not be able to tight the tips.

2nd try. Pull the whole tip out and use a screw driver to bent the tips outward a bit.

View attachment 3824

The tabs are tighter now

Definitely better now, especially it's free.
View attachment 3825
Great work! Vast improvement over the ”scared turtle tips” which coincidently is the name of my new band! A secondary benefit is reduced soot on the paint. You’ll know what I mean if you’ve ever used a dedicated paint cleaner when detailing.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, nice work, slowv6! I may go to an aftermarket exhaust at some point, so this will save some $ over the JDM tips while I waver back and forth.
My last car, I got harassed and ticketed by local motorcycle cops on my 5 miles city road to work driving under speed limit. My city LE is a joke and the state has 50 year old law that basically you are against the law if you modify the exhaust. (apparently some states like NY has same thing too,l Crackle tuned boys doesn't help the situation either.) I'm taking it easy and keep the 86 stock for now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Where I live we don't even have emissions testing. I also see a fair share of the local cops out on their straight-piped Harleys on the weekends, so I think to avoid being seen as hypocrites, they leave the other loud exhaust folks alone as long as they're not breaking any other laws. As it should be; even though I'm not really into loud exhausts myself.

·
Registered
Halo GR86 Premium; Suzuki Samurai JX
265 Posts
I saw on Reddit that the ASC is also something that the dealership can also turn off through the ECU. So no having to fiddle with screwdrivers and take off dash panels.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where I live we don't even have emissions testing. I also see a fair share of the local cops out on their straight-piped Harleys on the weekends, so I think to avoid being seen as hypocrites, they leave the other loud exhaust folks alone as long as they're not breaking any other laws. As it should be; even though I'm not really into loud exhausts myself.
our state and city been like that for years, hence the law never changed since no self respected cop will enforce silly laws like that. But we had few cases of polarized street takeovers and deaths by dumb "kids" in neighboring cities and I lived in a "Karen" invested areas . Many of them worrying about loud cars waking up their babies thru their double pane windows.... (I said that as I asked why the cops giving me ticket when I wasn't even stepping on gas , he explained the neighborhoods got lots of complaints...etc etc). Anything looks like a sport cars are being profiled and ticketed. As if anything get dragged into political hole these days, our local cops also are not allowed to chase people with minor crimes so they kept themselves busy handing out tickets (meanwhile hearings not being scheduled in court.) and bragging on their social networks.

I just felt like I'm old enough to forgo the joy of downshifting and hearing my car instead of going through the above....

·
Registered
408 Posts
I hear it more and more, slowv6; the real crimes aren't getting pursued, while the generally law-abiding are getting harassed and fined for what, in the grand scheme of things, isn't the problem at all.

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
963 Posts
I'm going to ask the dealer to remove this before I receive the vehicle. If not, then it's gonna get unclipped before I even get in the fucking thing. Needless to say... Thomas had never seen such bullshit.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire
Double bonus. Thomas the train reference on one of my Top 10 ugliest cars post.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
394 Posts
I saw on Reddit that the ASC is also something that the dealership can also turn off through the ECU. So no having to fiddle with screwdrivers and take off dash panels.
FWIW, I elected to keep the pumped in sound on. You literally cannot hear the RPM with the stock intake/exhaust. It'll go away when I get a catback.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone explored the idea of buying a short piece of coupling that fits on the exhaust pipe that that would then allow the tip to extend to the proper length?
That will also be a proper way to adjust it especially if you want to extend it even more. Cost will vary depends on how you want to fasten the coupling to the oem skinny "pipe".
Might as well sell them as a kit if you are resourceful, will be much better option than spending $100+ for the JDM tips

·
Vendor
2022 GR86 Premium MT - Neptune Blue (Pending Allocation)
617 Posts
Has anyone explored the idea of buying a short piece of coupling that fits on the exhaust pipe that that would then allow the tip to extend to the proper length?
Well, I might as well make use of the welders I have... easy peasy. But at that point, there are plenty of Aftermarket Exhaust tips that may add a bit of flavor and tone.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.