Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
What you all have to take into consideration is the source of the info. That vast majority of people have zero knowledge on the topic and just do what they are told. Of course when your source is the manufacturer they will always tell you to take it easy. After all, if something were to go wrong because you werent paying attention or thought it was a great idea to show all your subie bros how your exhaust pops n crackles when you bang the rev limiter for 20 seconds straight, guess who has to cover it under warranty. On the other hand you talk to any professional engine builder, be it super high performance competition stuff, or just rebuilding an old civic daily driver, an engine builder will always tell you to be "aggressive". The heat cycles and pressure variations going in and out of vacuum are what sets you up for success. Just like new brakes. Most people dont know you are supposed to go out and immediately slam on the brakes from various speeds without coming to a complete stop. It heat cycles the new pads prevents future warping or premature failure. In the grand scheme of things it probably makes no difference at all. I can only speak to my own experiences and I have done PLENTY of hard break ins on all kinds of vehicles. Never had compression issues which is supposedly the only real concern.
I recommend watching the HP Academy video posted above, from the start. There is no BS in there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I picked my car up yesterday and set the rev alarm for 3800rpm so I can follow the recommended break-in procedure. To be honest it was a blast even keeping it in the lower revs. This engine has enough torque to pass other cars without any issue even if you are within 4K rpm. With a manual you can still have fun shifting and keeping the revs up around 4000! I am planning on keeping this car for a long time so I will do what Subaru says.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I picked my car up yesterday and set the rev alarm for 3800rpm so I can follow the recommended break-in procedure. To be honest it was a blast even keeping it in the lower revs. This engine has enough torque to pass other cars without any issue even if you are within 4K rpm. With a manual you can still have fun shifting and keeping the revs up around 4000! I am planning on keeping this car for a long time so I will do what Subaru says.
Yeah - I reckon I can have fun without revving it that high anyways. Plenty of twisties to enjoy. Then, a few longer road trips will get the break in done fairly quick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was lucky enough to pick up my new 22 brz this past weekend and am loving it so far. I've gone thru the settings to modify the rev/shift lights & beeper so that It goes off at 4k RPM. When I was going thru the owners' manual it said the engine break-in period was 1k miles and to not go above 4k rpm unless in emergencies until past that 1k miles. How strict do y'all plan on adhering to this rule? I have only put 100 miles on the car so far and am planning to keep this thing forever so want to make sure I don't overtax the engine early on by revving it out. The car is plenty of fun at low revs so it's not like I can't enjoy the car yet but am looking forward to bouncing of the rev limiter on the racetrack as soon as I can. Do y'all think i need to wait until 1k miles on the odomoter before I can fully rev the engine out? furthermore I'm planning to track the car as soon as i hit 1k miles. Is this safe to start racing the car as soon as the engine break-in is over or is there anything else I'm missing out on to preserve the life of the engine?

I love cars but have no experience in mechanical engineering so have no idea what stress is caused by revving the engine before the break-in period is over.

my info-
car - Black BRZ limited, 6-spd Manual, no mods.... yet
loc- pacific northwest
Wow!!! how did you find a setting like that? LOL
I found that it was really hard to drive the care below 3k RPM, will be hard to keep this thing under 4K rpm

21 - 24 of 24 Posts