Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my impatience for ecu tuning solutions on the 2nd gen ecus, I’m starting to explore the possibility of swapping in a late-model 1st gen ecu. I’ve done this before on other platforms (ie swapping an evo ecu into an eclipse), but I’m totally new to this platform.

From what I understand, late-model 1st gens also have D-4S injection (which was my main concern). If I could get my hands on some good ecu pinout diagrams for both the 1g and 2g ecus, it seems like there’d be some chance it could work.

I’d log timing/afrs w/ the stock 2g ecu, then tune the 1g ecu to mimic those base values to create a base 2g map.

Right now, I'm trying to collect reasons/info on why it wouldn't work (as this platform is still completely foreign to me).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wait for an actual tuning solution for this generation.

They are just now testing a 2.4L block with 2.0 heads in a previous gen and had to swap it that way due to sensor differences. It would probably be more work than it is worth to re-pin a gen 2 harness to use a gen 1 ecu.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,412 Posts

They are just now testing a 2.4L block with 2.0 heads in a previous gen and had to swap it that way due to sensor differences. It would probably be more work than it is worth to re-pin a gen 2 harness to use a gen 1 ecu.
Where is this info from? It has me interested.

·
Vendor
2022 GR86 Premium MT - Neptune Blue (Pending Allocation)
518 Posts

Seriously, by the time you work out all the bugs and cut-corners to make shit work, ECUTek will already have things out.

HKS has stated that they're well into the development of their ECU as well... so really it's just a matter of time. From the looks of it, they already have performance numbers on their Supercharger so that means the ECU is probably getting testing out of the way before release.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
332 Posts
Seriously, by the time you work out all the bugs and cut-corners to make shit work, ECUTek will already have things out.

HKS has stated that they're well into the development of their ECU as well... so really it's just a matter of time. From the looks of it, they already have performance numbers on their Supercharger so that means the ECU is probably getting testing out of the way before release.
This is great news.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,412 Posts
Interesting. I know harrop in Australia had a supercharger on a 2.4. I wonder of that was how they were able to tune it. Very well could have been a gen 1 ECU and head swap. I figured it was just running a standalone ECU. I know haltech is local to them which would be a great place to have something like that done.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I thought it was Harrop, but I can't find the post now. Apparently there are some pretty serious cylinder head changes between the 2.0 and the 2.4 so the wire harness from the 2.0 wont work with the 2.4 heads. That was the gist of why they didn't drop a full 2.4 in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts