Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking for driving gloves, then remembered i had spare pair of golf gloves. been using it since and it feels great and keeps the interior cleaner from whatever i touch. it's 10 bucks for the pair on ebay. i have no affiliation to seller just giving my opinion.

i even use it on short drives. not cellphone touch friendly but screen on dash responds. i cut hole on thumb for limited use on cell phone.

Steering wheel Vehicle door Vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part White

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I like the idea of driving gloves. Originally I believe they were used to get a better grip on skinny, slippery wheels with sweaty hands in warm weather or in the rain with an open top. But they also make sense in the winter when dry hands can slip on the wheel.

I'm so used to wearing gloves riding dirt bikes and street bikes, it feels natural to me. Since the BRZ is my first winter sports car, I'm planning to buy a nice pair of proper peccary leather driving gloves for winter use.

Reactions: coldramen

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Reviewers seem pleased with these peccary leather driving gloves. Note the driver in the video is wearing a winter coat. I think I'd go with the black because I'm not a snazzy dresser. You guys just may have pushed me over the edge...I'm probably going to order these "for my birthday".

Reactions: PBR

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good tactile feel, clean steering wheel and shifter. to each their own. i'm alone almost all the time driving, so nobody sees me putting on or taking off gloves.

feels better driving with it for me and for 10 bucks a pair. it works for me

·
Registered
'23 GR86 Premium Neptune Blue 6MT
25 Posts
They probably go well with your covid mask. This is just silly. You're not driving a 60's Ferrari race car. And if you're worried about "clean steering wheel and shifter", heres an idea, DONT DRIVE WITH DIRTY HANDS.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
This is nowhere near anything related to confidence or being insecure. Its goofy. But if he likes it, whatever. I still think its silly. Might as well wear goggles and a scarf, too.
Forehead Nose Hair Chin Eyebrow

I don't know, your reaction seemed a little over the top!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
You wear them too, so thats why you think its over the top.
Actually I don't yet wear driving gloves, but I think they have merit in the cases I mentioned above. I have spent time learning about them and shopping for good ones. My dad used to say, "Don't knock it until you've tried it" and I think that definitely applies here. I'm not going to voice an opinion about whether or not I like wearing them until I've tried it out myself. And I'm definitely not going to tell someone else they shouldn't wear them.

I guess you'd also be against driving shoes for better heel-toe? Or are you also against wearing shoes at all, and drive both bare-handed and bare-footed?

There's really no right or wrong here. The dude just likes to wear gloves when he's driving his car and decided to share his reasons with the community.

·
Vendor
2023 BRZ Limited 6MT - WR Blue Pearl
907 Posts
The only reason I asked if he planned to do driving events later is because if you do, certain venues require certifications for safety equipment like driving gloves so start using what you would use on the track so you retain the same feel.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The only reason I asked if he planned to do driving events later is because if you do, certain venues require certifications for safety equipment like driving gloves so start using what you would use on the track so you retain the same feel.
That's a great point!

·
Registered
23 GR86 Premium 6MT
187 Posts
Actually I don't yet wear driving gloves, but I think they have merit in the cases I mentioned above. I have spent time learning about them and shopping for good ones. My dad used to say, "Don't knock it until you've tried it" and I think that definitely applies here. I'm not going to voice an opinion about whether or not I like wearing them until I've tried it out myself. And I'm definitely not going to tell someone else they shouldn't wear them.

I guess you'd also be against driving shoes for better heel-toe? Or are you also against wearing shoes at all, and drive both bare-handed and bare-footed?

There's really no right or wrong here. The dude just likes to wear gloves when he's driving his car and decided to share his reasons with the community.
Totally agree with everything you said. I joined this forum long before I got my GR 86 to learn about the car, what mods would be best for the car, to get help when needed and to offer/give help when I can. I didn't come here to get ridiculed for my choices on what mods to do to my car, my driving habits, etc. I'm sure most others feel the same way.

Always have believed in the saying that if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything. Sure one can disagree with others and even say so but there's a nice/polite way to say things and there's rude ways to say things. If I had to, I'd choose the former rather than the latter.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I didn't come here to get ridiculed for my choices on what mods to do to my car, my driving habits, etc. I'm sure most others feel the same way.
Right on. Personally, I like seeing other people enjoying their cars. A lot of times I get great ideas from what other people are doing, other times I think well, that's not for me.

It doesn't take much looking around on the internet to find good arguments in favor of driving gloves. I'm frankly glad that @timetravelerx1 brought up the subject now, as winter is approaching. The only winter gloves I have are just black leather with rabbit fur lining. They are not specifically driving gloves. The leather isn't very supple and my fingers slip and slide around inside them due to the fur. Now that I have a winter sports car, that needs to change!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts