Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some kind of embargo must have been lifted because Japanese car channels all have been releasing BRZ/GR86 videos.

This one is very entertaining, Keichii Tsuchiya, known as the Drift King, tries out the GR86 and BRZ!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The GR86 MT was the fastest of all, although, to be fair, they were all like within a second.

He praises the GR86 new engine (2.4L feels more torquey), praises its suspension and stability.

For the BRZ, he praises the stability more. The GR86 seems to be more prone to drifting/slipping, but not in an uncontrolled manner at all.

·
Registered
439 Posts
There seems to be some kind of a media going on by Toyota/Subaru. It's interesting to hear more people talk about how the BRZ is more stable and the GR86 is more likely to kick the back end out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes! I even think DK mentioned how the BRZ was a bit more "understeery". But it might have been a mistranslation.

I was already decided for a GR86 anyways :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes! I even think DK mentioned how the BRZ was a bit more "understeery". But it might have been a mistranslation.

I was already decided for a GR86 anyways :p
A lot of the other videos posted have described the BRZ as more stable which is interesting. I guess if anyone wants a more composed car and higher resale value out of the 2 then they might pick the BRZ

·
Registered
1 Posts
In another reviewers videos, they actually put a list of the differences in suspension setup between the two cars. The most notable differences would the the springs rates and the 1mm thicker sway bar of the gr86.

Spring rates
GR86 Front 28nm / mm
GR86 Rear 39nm /mm

BRZ Front 30nm / mm
BRZ Rear 35nm /mm

This would explain the more oversteery characteristic the GR86 exhibits compared to the BRZ.

·
Registered
488 Posts
In another reviewers videos, they actually put a list of the differences in suspension setup between the two cars. The most notable differences would the the springs rates and the 1mm thicker sway bar of the gr86.

Spring rates
GR86 Front 28nm / mm
GR86 Rear 39nm /mm

BRZ Front 30nm / mm
BRZ Rear 35nm /mm

This would explain the more oversteery characteristic the GR86 exhibits compared to the BRZ.
Welcome @Gorgan

That difference is very similar to the current 86 and BRZ. Toyota's version was always known to be more extroverted. Which of the two do you think you'll get?

·
Registered
163 Posts
But the bottom line is there is very little difference in the track performance of these cars even though Toyota said its car was tuned to be more of a drivers car than the BRZ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts