Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my dog Luna. She is about 24” long and weighs about 48 pounds. When she rides in my Prius, she stands on the back seat. I am thinking she could either go in the back, with the passenger seat slid forward, or in the passenger seat, but with the seat pushed back a bit.
Would it be unfair to put her in the car? We don’t go for long drives. Mostly to the dog park and 20 minutes from my home to my Dad’s home. I’ve been going back and forth on this.
Dog Collar Working animal Carnivore Ear

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
78 Posts
It would be unfair... to the car..!!
I say that as a fellow dog owner of large american bulldogs. No way in heck they are going in this car. I always have multiple vehicles though. Are you keeping the prius? If so, I would keep that as the "dog car". I have a 2012 mazda 3 that is my beater. Thats what I drive when I have to park on the street somewhere, go to the city, park in a crowded lot, bring the dogs out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be unfair... to the car..!!
I say that as a fellow dog owner of large american bulldogs. No way in heck they are going in this car. I always have multiple vehicles though. Are you keeping the prius? If so, I would keep that as the "dog car". I have a 2012 mazda 3 that is my beater. Thats what I drive when I have to park on the street somewhere, go to the city, park in a crowded lot, bring the dogs out.
I will not be keeping the Prius. I don’t mind the fur. Its everywhere in my apartment, furniture, bed, and clothes😆

·
Registered
549 Posts
This is my dog Luna. She is about 24” long and weighs about 48 pounds. When she rides in my Prius, she stands on the back seat. I am thinking she could either go in the back, with the passenger seat slid forward, or in the passenger seat, but with the seat pushed back a bit.
Would it be unfair to put her in the car? We don’t go for long drives. Mostly to the dog park and 20 minutes from my home to my Dad’s home. I’ve been going back and forth on this. View attachment 2935
I use to take my dog everywhere in my FRS.

You’ll be fine, let her enjoy the car too. 👌🏽

·
Registered
‘22 CWP BRZ Ordered
72 Posts
Would it be unfair to put her in the car? We don’t go for long drives. Mostly to the dog park and 20 minutes from my home to my Dad’s home. I’ve been going back and forth on this. View attachment 2935
I put my Aussie in the Supra.

He sits in the front passenger footwell and puts his head on the seat and stares at me while I drive lol.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
My dog basically destroyed by current cars interior even with a seat cover. With my current car I didn't really care, but no animals are getting in my 86. I am keeping my current ride as a daily so I can keep the 86 in good condition for years to come.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dog basically destroyed by current cars interior even with a seat cover. With my current car I didn't really care, but no animals are getting in my 86. I am keeping my current ride as a daily so I can keep the 86 in good condition for years to come.
Wow! That’s too bad. I don’t have the option to keep the Prius..

·
Registered
5 Posts
We've always had multiple dogs, and do try to reserve one vehicle for that purpose. That said, if we only had one car (and in earlier years we did), the dog(s) definitely ride along. There's all kinds of seat covers available for that purpose or use an old sheet, etc. Luna has short hair, so that's a huge plus. Give her a quick brushing before putting her in.

She will leave some hair back there no matter what you do, but lint brushes are pretty effective for collecting most of that. Luna has the advantage because no one else will want to sit back there! It's best if the front seats are all the way back against the rear seats, or they will fall into the foot area when you hit the brakes. Obviously that might not be the best seating position for you, so find something cardboard box, whatever, to take up that space.

If she's new to riding in cars, keep your first rides brief. Let her get used to it. Definitely do not make her first ride a long trip. Dogs can get car sick, initially. But they come to love it (obviously). As you start going for longer rides, be observant - if she starts salivating, or smacking her lips, or crying - stop immediately and let her out to walk around. If she's just eaten or drank a lot of water, wait for an hour or two.

And assuming she's new to rides (she might accept it more easily), try out one of the harness things that attach to the seat belts - you'll feel better knowing she's buckled in. I'm guilty of not doing this, but if I was starting with a new dog, I would.

I you plan on "spirited driving", leave her home. Otherwise try to be conscious of your driving when she's back there. Its crazy how much they love rides. I have watched my dogs literally jump over plates of freshly cooked steaks at the invitation to go for a ride.

Oops, just remembered the part where you said she already rides in the prius with you. So she is an experienced driver. So just take my car tips for what they're worth. In any case, I'm "Team Luna" - take her along.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We've always had multiple dogs, and do try to reserve one vehicle for that purpose. That said, if we only had one car (and in earlier years we did), the dog(s) definitely ride along. There's all kinds of seat covers available for that purpose or use an old sheet, etc. Luna has short hair, so that's a huge plus. Give her a quick brushing before putting her in.

She will leave some hair back there no matter what you do, but lint brushes are pretty effective for collecting most of that. Luna has the advantage because no one else will want to sit back there! It's best if the front seats are all the way back against the rear seats, or they will fall into the foot area when you hit the brakes. Obviously that might not be the best seating position for you, so find something cardboard box, whatever, to take up that space.

If she's new to riding in cars, keep your first rides brief. Let her get used to it. Definitely do not make her first ride a long trip. Dogs can get car sick, initially. But they come to love it (obviously). As you start going for longer rides, be observant - if she starts salivating, or smacking her lips, or crying - stop immediately and let her out to walk around. If she's just eaten or drank a lot of water, wait for an hour or two.

And assuming she's new to rides (she might accept it more easily), try out one of the harness things that attach to the seat belts - you'll feel better knowing she's buckled in. I'm guilty of not doing this, but if I was starting with a new dog, I would.

I you plan on "spirited driving", leave her home. Otherwise try to be conscious of your driving when she's back there. Its crazy how much they love rides. I have watched my dogs literally jump over plates of freshly cooked steaks at the invitation to go for a ride.
Thanks for the advice. She’s ok with riding in the car. I have a dog seatbelt that connects to the D ring at the back of her harness. No spirited driving for me. I was mainly concerned that she might be too big, but she should be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts