Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a DIY on how to install a TRD duckbill spoiler on your Base GR86 or BRZ.

1. Open trunk and remove fabric/plastic cover held in by clips.

2. Remove six 8mm nuts and four 8mm bolts
  3. Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
    Land vehicle Vehicle Car White Motor vehicle

4. Pry oem spoiler off using trim removal tools. They are held in by clips after the screws/nuts are removed. Just pry carefully around until they pop out.
  5. Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Windscreen wiper

6. Once the oem spoiler is popped off, unclip the 2 harnesses from inside the trunk and pull the grommets with the cables out of the trunk.
  7. Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

8. Place oem spoiler on some surface that wont scratch it. Carefully tear off the perforated paper templates provided in the instructions. There are 3 pieces. Middle, Left and Right
  9. Fold the templates on the dotted line as shown in my pics. Then place them on the oem spoiler as shown in the center, left and right locations. They should fit perfectly and the fold should go around the front edge of the spoiler. Use masking tape to hold down the templates
  10. Blue Sleeve Font Electric blue Denim
    Hood Tool Bumper Automotive tire Bicycle part

11. Sleeve Wood Font Rectangle Glove
  12. Sleeve Font Electric blue Linens Plastic

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
  • Drill in the marked locations shown in the templates. Start off all the holes with something small like a 1/8" drill bit. There are 6 holes total.
  • Blue Azure Sleeve Collar Baby & toddler clothing

• Work your way up to a larger size. The 2 middle holes should be 6mm or roughly 1/4" and the 4 holes on the side templates should be 10mm or roughly 3/8"
  • Once the holes are drilled to the correct sizes, verify the duckbill spoiler studs line up with the holes you just drilled. Clean the surface with alcohol or the cleaning wipes provided with the spoiler.
  • Peel back all the double sided tape plastic a bit so it can be pulled off easily. Place the duckbill spoiler thru the holes and then remove all the double sided tape plastic.
  • Hood Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part

• Use the six 10mm nuts provided with the duckbill spoiler and tighten them
  • Sleeve Dress Finger Button Electric blue

• Reinstall the completed spoiler onto the car. Make sure you're not missing any clips or studs because they tend to fall out. Reinstall harnesses/clips/bolts that you removed in steps 1-4.
  • Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is awesome, thanks! Also confirms that the stock spoiler and duckbill spoiler are both held in with bolts in addition to the tape and clips. Cheers

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great writeup! I'm getting the GR86 premium so won't be needing to do this, but I always try to give credit where credit is due. Nice job.

·
Registered
2023 Toyota GR ハチロク
313 Posts
Cool Cool. This is great for the people who want the Spoiler on their base cars. I'll be getting the Premium, so I'll have it automatically already.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ll potentially want to do the reverse of this if the top grade model has the bigger spoiler in Australia. Much prefer the look without 😄
Smart. Agreed. I ordered a base GR86 (in the USA) because of the smaller spoiler. Hopefully Australia is smart and doesn't make the big spoiler standard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
  • Drill in the marked locations shown in the templates. Start off all the holes with something small like a 1/8" drill bit. There are 6 holes total.
  • View attachment 3541

• Work your way up to a larger size. The 2 middle holes should be 6mm or roughly 1/4" and the 4 holes on the side templates should be 10mm or roughly 3/8"
  • Once the holes are drilled to the correct sizes, verify the duckbill spoiler studs line up with the holes you just drilled. Clean the surface with alcohol or the cleaning wipes provided with the spoiler.
  • Peel back all the double sided tape plastic a bit so it can be pulled off easily. Place the duckbill spoiler thru the holes and then remove all the double sided tape plastic.
  • View attachment 3542

• Use the six 10mm nuts provided with the duckbill spoiler and tighten them
  • View attachment 3543

• Reinstall the completed spoiler onto the car. Make sure you're not missing any clips or studs because they tend to fall out. Reinstall harnesses/clips/bolts that you removed in steps 1-4.
  • View attachment 3544
Where did you purchase the spoiler by chance and how long did it roughly take to ship to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts