Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping to supercharge my BRZ within the next 5 or so years. I imagine forced induction will require significant cooling, so I want to ask: Are there any shops around that create facias that remove the blocking on the upper part of the grill? Both the BRZ and GR86 have a functional bottom grill and a fake top grill (i imagine for fuel economy). I hope someone comes up with a replacement!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you intend to remove the crash beam too? As that will be what's sitting behind the blocked section of the grill.
Ah. That's unfortunate. I was hoping that wasn't the case, and that more cooling would be available when upgrades come around. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone take videos/photos of how well sealed the radiator inlet ducting is on this car? The efficiency of the cooling system can be improved by ensuring as much air entering the inlet actually passes through the radiator, rather than escaping out the sides around the radiator. I never owned a last gen 86 so I'm not sure how well ducted that one was either.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,099 Posts
Depends what type of supercharger you want as well. The positive displacement type use liquid cooling and require much less space for a cooler. A centrifugal supercharger uses air to air intercoolers which take up much more space.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota GT86
88 Posts
The cooling system on the previous generation was very capable and generally didn't require any modifications, only an oil cooler was required for those pushing alot of power doing and/or doing track work. (Previous generation didn't have an oil cooler). I imagine this latest generation will be just as capable, although the stock oil cooler is quite small so may need upgrading.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cooling system on the previous generation was very capable and generally didn't require any modifications, only an oil cooler was required for those pushing alot of power doing and/or doing track work. (Previous generation didn't have an oil cooler). I imagine this latest generation will be just as capable, although the stock oil cooler is quite small so may need upgrading.
At least the plumbing for the oil cooler is already there

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,099 Posts
The OEM oil cooler should be plenty. Its what is used on the turbo models and they dont have issues. It circulates engine coolant around the oil filter housing. It may not be the "coolest" oil, but it is the most steady and consistent with temps. To upgrade would involve a liquid to air style system with big heat exchanger and all new plumbing. I honestly dont think anything more than the OEM unit will ever bee needed. Even for modded boosted cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts