Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise on the internal noise level likely on the new BRZ & GR86. Test driving current models the 86 is much quieter inside than BRZ. I have heard BRZ is intentionally noisier on the inside for effect.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Can anyone advise on the internal noise level likely on the new BRZ & GR86. Test driving current models the 86 is much quieter inside than BRZ. I have heard BRZ is intentionally noisier on the inside for effect.
Thanks
Not as far as I could tell when I've been in a club members BRZ (I owned an 86).

The biggest difference was when I rode in one with more performance tires - they were a bit louder than the standard Primacy HP, which does come through a bit on these cars as they dont have a lot of sound deadening.

If you are really wanting to make it a lot quieter, then it doesn't actually weigh (or cost) that much to add some sound deadening material to the doors and wheel arches.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I can't really notice the difference between the two. Maybe someone with a better ear than me can notice something but they seem pretty similar to me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks
Probably tires or some weird confirmation bias going on. The cars are virtually identical, the BRZ and 86 sound the same inside.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe best is to wait until the new 86 is unveiled. That’s the only time we can compare the twins and choose for real.

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
I believe best is to wait until the new 86 is unveiled. That’s the only time we can compare the twins and choose for real.
Totally. I'm going to be test driving both, but if the Toyota doesn't appear within 1 or 2 months of the BRZ then its certainly going to make my mind up for me.

I mean, if you have a bit of money saved, AND you are keen to get into one of these from the start, then I highly recommend getting a deposit on both. If your country laws allow that is. In Australia we can deposit, and can accept/reject (and have the deposit returned) based on the results of a test drive.

The dealerships are happy either way, because the car allotment stays with them to move to another customer (of which there are usually plenty on release) if you reject it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Now that both the GR 86 and BRZ have been revealed, I believe I like the GR 86 more. It has a bit more power, and a simpler design approach. GR86 for me. But you can’t go wrong with either.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No, the power in kW is the same between both. Keep in mind there is HP/BHP/PS too.

Sorry about that. I believe the 235hp is applicable for the Japanese market. The US market’s version is rated at 228hp. Probably because of emission regulations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts