Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, long time viewer of this forum

I reached about 5000 miles and decided to get the free Toyota care oil change. I already changed the oil myself during the 1k break in period but am planning to go on road trip so decided to get it changed. I drove around 70-80 miles with this much extra oil before checking it on Monday night and then went back to them Tuesday morning to get the excess oil drained. Would anyone know if this would end up causing damage permanent damage to the crankshaft and or engine? Or am i tripping in thinking this is to much oil? Pictures taken after 40 mins of car being turned off. Thanks

Automotive tire Hood Wood Bumper Flooring

Wood Flooring Floor Gas Hardwood

·
Registered
296 Posts
Your car will survive a half-quart overfill just fine. There’s some margin of error engineered in by engine designers so (relatively small) dumb mistakes made by owners, dealerships, and quick-lube places don’t destroy engines.

No leaks? No clogged PCV valve? You already got this corrected? Drive and enjoy.

And if I’m wrong? You’ve got almost 5 years and more than enough miles to circle the earth twice remaining on your warranty coverage. If there’s a problem resulting from this, it’ll almost certainly crop up while you’re still covered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your car will survive a half-quart overfill just fine. There’s some margin of error engineered in by engine designers so (relatively small) dumb mistakes made by owners, dealerships, and quick-lube places don’t destroy engines.

No leaks? No clogged PCV valve? You already got this corrected? Drive and enjoy.

And if I’m wrong? You’ve got almost 5 years and more than enough miles to circle the earth twice remaining on your warranty coverage. If there’s a problem resulting from this, it’ll almost certainly crop up while you’re still covered.
No leaks and it is right oil amount now. Will check PCV valve after work but thanks for the clarification. And ya got the warranty so really no big deal but me being crazy

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,789 Posts
Holy shit thats way too much. That can cause problems. Make them take some out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Demonstrates a lack of care by the techs at the dealer. This is why I don't let the dealer touch my car, I don't take advantage of any free oil changes. If they can't get a simple oil change correct, can you imagine the potential for problems on a complex repair? Yes, you have a warranty, but I like to keep my cars to well over 100,000 miles and likely this won't cause a problem during warranty. However, it might make a difference between the car lasting for 100k vs. 150k.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,886 Posts
There are two measurements on the dipstick, look at the side with the shortest level - that's the one. Not sure if it makes any difference, but it might be a bit less over than that in reality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy shit thats way too much. That can cause problems. Make them take some out.
Yup got them to take it out but just hoping this won’t cause problems down the line and wondering if sending this to Toyota would do something
not to be that guy, but it looks like you've got a garage. oil changes don't get easier than on this car, especially with a fumoto valve.

highly recommended.
my first oil change i did do myself, my garage is very small as it’s an apartment but def when I move out of here soon I’ll be doing my own
There are two measurements on the dipstick, look at the side with the shortest level - that's the one. Not sure if it makes any difference, but it might be a bit less over than that in reality.
this is that side the other side was just all the way up with oil

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got my 1k oil change at my dealership, they gave me the perfect amount and had black filters which I heard are better than the blue one.

Also, what's up with the oil they give you when the car is new? That was some super bright yellow oil lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my 1k oil change at my dealership, they gave me the perfect amount and had black filters which I heard are better than the blue one.

Also, what's up with the oil they give you when the car is new? That was some super bright yellow oil lol
Were you able to do it through Toyota Care for free? (Assuming you have a GR86)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, long time viewer of this forum

I reached about 5000 miles and decided to get the free Toyota care oil change. I already changed the oil myself during the 1k break in period but am planning to go on road trip so decided to get it changed. I drove around 70-80 miles with this much extra oil before checking it on Monday night and then went back to them Tuesday morning to get the excess oil drained. Would anyone know if this would end up causing damage permanent damage to the crankshaft and or engine? Or am i tripping in thinking this is to much oil? Pictures taken after 40 mins of car being turned off. Thanks

View attachment 17357
View attachment 17356
As others have said, this is not great but should make no difference in the life of your engine -- especially since you got the excess drained. The most important point is that dealer service departments cannot be trusted. Especially for oil changes. That may seem counterintuitive since it's such a simple procedure. But it's because it's simple that the task is given to the least experienced techs -- people who are low paid and tend to have very little loyalty to the dealership or even professional pride. I would trust the dealer only for complex repairs, where their highly trained master technicians should be involved. They know the car better than anyone, have the right tools and the most up to date guidance from the manufacturer.

So for oil changes, the best option is DIY or a trusted local shop. Even there, I'd trust myself more. Further, DIY changes are easy on this vehicle because the filter is at the top. To make it even easier, you can suck the old oil out of the dipstick tube using an extractor. Then you never have to lift or squeeze under the car and hassle with draining from the oil pan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I got my car from the dealer and when I got it back from first service at a different dealer in a different state, the oil level was reading almost exactly where yours is. Wonder if they put it in based on a metered amount when its dispensed and just don't check the dipstick? If that's bad I will likely pull the extractor out tomorrow and see if I can get some of it out. It was almost the same when I got the car off the lot. I'm around 2k miles though.

Edit: I just checked and the 2L engine from the last gen took more oil. I'm wondering if they are just assuming its the same.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
That is definitely possible. Although the new gen is only 0.4qt less. The pic from the OP looks to be over by more than that to me. About a full quart too much is my guess.

• Wow
Reactions: AFAWKS

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,886 Posts
That is definitely possible. Although the new gen is only 0.4qt less. The pic from the OP looks to be over by more than that to me. About a full quart too much is my guess.
In some ways its easier for us to do it, I'm not sure what a tub gives you in the US, but here in aus oil usually comes in 5L tubs - which is exactly how much the car takes when doing the filter. The dealers use barrels and so can fuck up the measurement.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
So just shy of a half quart over full. That makes the theory mentioned above very likely. The dealer may have added the oil quantity intended for a 1st gen car. I hate places that just add whatever the manual says it should take. Sometimes it takes more, sometimes less. I like to dump in a 5qt jug, start the car and let it run for a minute, then turn it off and top up until its on the full dot. In my few changes on this car the amount needed has varied by as much as a quarter of a quart. I have also noticed that a lot of oil stays in the pan if drained while the car is level (on a lift) jacking it up and creating an angle towards the drain hole makes a noticeable difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts