Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
The best way? Throw those screws away and install some rivnuts in the bumper.

Measure out the pattern and mark your hole locations. The dimples are probably for the Japanese plates which use a different hole pattern. Drill the hole pattern with a clean drill bit (sized to the rivnut's spec), then install 4 rivnuts in the holes and use machine screws in the rivnuts to mount the plate. It's pretty involved but the best way IMO. Probably best to use aluminum or brass rivnuts for corrosion resistance.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,420 Posts
Pretty sure they just use self taping screws straight into the plastic. Most cars dont use the little metal or plastic clips anymore they always rust or get fragile and break, then its a big PITA.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Good pics, thanks @PhatFreshPrince. My dealer has strict instructions to not drill the front or rear bumpers at all when my car arrives.

·
Registered
928 Posts
So how do they expect you to mount the plates?
I'm taking it home with the temp tag in the car with me. If I get pulled over I don't care. I will mount a rear plate myself; in Kentucky front plates are not required...which is awesome!

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,420 Posts
Im fine with self tapers straight into the plastic in the rear. As for the front.... a front plate is "required" in IL but I havent used 1 on any car for at least 15 years. No plan on using one now either. For those who do, there is a proper front plate mount that screws to the car using the pre threaded JDM holes. Then the plate screws to the mount. It is an OPTION for this car which is dumb. You have to know about it and buy it seperate. If not and you dont give the dealer instruction not to touch it, they will make some very nasty new holes in your bumper.

·
Registered
142 Posts
They sell a bracket that mounts into the Japan Holes that allow you to mount the US Plates without drilling more holes into the bumper.

Rectangle Composite material Computer accessory Circle Gadget

License Plate Mounting Bracket – Universal Fit
With four holes across the top, the license plate mounting
bracket can be installed without drilling on BRZ models
with existing bumper holes. Stainless steel with black
powder coated finish. Including mounting hardware for
easy installation.
SOA342L171

·
Registered
142 Posts
I assume you are asking and not stating this. Yes, I believe the pinholes are made in the bumper during the molding process. If you look closely there is a circle around the pinholes. That circle is a small bowl with the pinhole at the center.
I could be wrong, but everyone one that i've seen online only comes with the threaded holes from factory and any additional holes came from dealer before people took delivery of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts