Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about to pull the trigger on a getting a 2023 GR86 and of course I am going through what sort of mods there out there and ever since I watched ChrisFix install a steering angle kit on his Mustang I have been fascinated by this sort of thing even though I don't drift or plan on drifting. The idea of having that much extra maneuverability in a already short wheel base car is the main draw but how is it to daily drive with?
Are there any kits that would be easier to live with?
How do alignments work with something like this?
Do I need to also get coilovers at the same time or will stock shocks work?

I'm coming from working on Ford Trucks so a lot of this is relatively new ground for me.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Welcome. I think the best thing would be to get the car and drive / enjoy it stock and then decide what if any improvements are needed. There's a high risk / probability of mods causing more problems than solutions, so be careful. It sucks to spend money and effort just to make your car worse.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
801 Posts
The car is phenomenal in stock form, and already has a short turning circle.

If you're going to daily this, I wouldn't do anything to the front, maybe a bit of negative camber at the most. The front end already darts around on the highway, everything's so sensitive.

I also wouldn't want to think about the havoc that an angle kit might cause on the limited slip diff. I know the Torsen-style diffs are resilient, but a 50% wheel speed differential under load can't be good for them on a daily.

·
Vendor
2023 BRZ Limited 6MT - WR Blue Pearl
902 Posts
So the problem with angle kits, especially with this chassis is that the easiest way to do it is by cutting and rewelding the knuckles to change the position of the tie-rod end closer to the pivot of the lower control-arm. The problem is, that unless the entire knuckle is changed out with a completely redesigned knuckle (like Wise-Fab) then what happens is you end up changing the ackerman. Basically your front wheels don't turn at the same rate, the inner wheel turns further than your outter wheel and changing the degree to which that occurs can effect the way the car handles. Additionally, if you turn your wheel as far as you can go... you'll notice that the inside clearance of the wheel starts to approach a bunch of other things, for one the frame, and then your tie-rods and control arms. That's one of the reasons the WiseFab kit is so expensive... because there are a LOT of things that come into play when you start to change the suspension and steering geometry. There's give-and-take and if you're not planning on doing any drifting, then you're just going to be compromising the handling of the vehicle as-is. If the manufacturer could put more steering-angle in from the factory, they would.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,789 Posts
If not used for the intended purpose, I dont think its worth it.

Reactions: mesablu3
1 - 5 of 5 Posts