Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! My names Derrick, I am a newer member. I mainly use FT86Club but I wanted to port my build thread over here as well :)
Hey everyone! My name is Derrick (hence D8rrick), and this is my first official post in these forums. I've always wanted to share/create a journal for my cars but I was always inconsistent with taking photos or documenting them. Well, it's safe to say that I'm doing it (Not that it was hard to do in the first place haha!)
Anyways, since this is my first post in this forum I'd like to say some things about myself.
Why did you buy this car?
Well, back in 2011 when the Toyobaru was "secretly" testing the twins I was still in middle school. Always read the news and looked at the spy shots and I was just so excited to see such a cool car come available now! Obviously, a nine-year-old has no possible way of getting their grubby little fingers on a brand new 86. So as a result, I was always lurking in the forums. Researching and learning everything there is about cars and the twins themselves until I could finally obtain one of my own.
Well, a few years go by. A turbo Miata or two, an e46, and an rx7 later I obtained my childhood dream car!

A 2014 Scion FR-S.

Despite all of its shortcomings that it was known for. I absolutely loved it. But a few things in the back of my mind ultimately made me sold it within a few months. Around that time, Subaru had officially unveiled the new 2nd generation BRZ. Decided to chase a true childhood dream and show support to Subaru (and Toyota).

And here we are, brand new 2022 Subaru BRZ with Popular Package A.
No markups, however, the dealer did force me to buy paint protection (worth it for the warranty alone!).

Initial impressions are that the 2nd generation is a very welcome improvement over the 1st generation.

Maybe like 4 days after that, the mod bug bit me and I ended up purchasing a few things :)

Unlike my initial 86, I decided against running cheaper replica wheels and cheap suspension and grabbed myself a set of
  • Cusco Street Zero A
  • Cusco ALS OS Strut Bar w/MCS Brace
  • Cusco Rear Differential Collar Mounts
  • Enkei RPF1 17x9+45 w/ A052 245/40/17

Maybe a month after that, I decided I wanted a stock-sized wheel since I felt that the 17x9 RPF1 set took away from how fun the car was in stock form. Ended up with a set of brushed silver Advan RG-2s in a 18x7.5 +48 with the original tires off the stock wheels.

Ended up purchasing an authentic TOMS Spoiler and a replica STI wing in forged carbon. Ended up installing the STI wing but now I'm looking for another trunk to run solely the TOMS.

And that was it for a few months playing with a few suspension arms, had one track day... Basically sat for the most part since I had a work vehicle. And this July I had made plans with K&N to test fit exhaust and their final draft of the CAI.

They had the car for a few days. And once I got it back it was "stepping on the gas to hear the induction noise" time the entire 35 mile drive home.
Enjoyed the intake for about the 12 hours I had the car back.

Growing up watching the release and the community for this car blossom was truly something to behold. One of the first things that I fell in love with was Vortech's supercharging kit.
So, a few emails exchanged with Vortech and It was gone as fast as I had it back from K&N.

Had a great time talking with Brian from Vortech and was a truly amazing time to get a tour of the facility

That is where it sits now! Currently hibernating at Vortech until ECUtek is available.
I'll be updating these pretty frequently, I have a few things I know I'm going to purchase and install once the supercharging "thing" is finished but I figured I'd leave it a secret :)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Welcome to our community! What a great personal story of how you became a car nut! Looks like you’re having a blast with your dream car…keep us posted!

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,326 Posts
Well, considering that the rods on the FA24 are twice as thick as the ones on the FA20, and that the FA20 could do 300WHP on a stock block... I don't think that will be an issue.
IDK where you saw that. The full engine takedown I have seen shows the rods are basically the same with the the exception of the new rods are straight and the old ones were angled on the crank end to allow them to be removed without an entire engine disassembly. I believe you are looking at the rods that come in the FA24 turbo, which we do not have. There is also mention that there was a lot of material removed from both the new rods and pistons to reduce weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks nice... hope seeing some Dyno runs soon:sneaky:(y)
would like to see the dyno numbers after the tune...
I would like to see all of the rods still inside the block after its tuned. 😁
Thank you everyone for the messages haha! Still waiting on Ecutek but just like all of you, I'm itching to see the results!
Most CARB tunes are extremely conservative both for the longevity of the engine and to comply with California emissions standards. Can't really say what it'll make since it would just be speculative.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,326 Posts
Slap that CARB sticker on there and then let them turn up the sauce a bit afterwards.

Just for arguments sake.... I bet there is not a charcoal filter pad inside that intake box. There isnt one inside of any of the other aftermarket ones either. If they are so important for emissions control, how can anything get CARB approval without them ..? Because its a useless scam and everyone knows it .!! Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick little update for you wonderful folk.
Currently going to be getting back the car from Vortech. WITHOUT the supercharger.
Original plan with Vortech is to complete the R&D in three stages:
1. Bring vehicle in for R&D of the test kits fitment.
2. In the case that tuning is still not available by the time test fitting is finished. I’ll be getting the car back until it is available.
3. Once EcuTek is ready, I’ll be heading straight back and the supercharging officially commences.

Currently on stage 2 and eagerly waiting for EcuTek to announce something!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive air manifold Automotive design Vehicle

(Some more photos of the car)

I should be having some things installed, purely cosmetic since I don’t really plan on modifying the engine more until the supercharger is in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts