·
Registered
21 Posts
Soooo.. I may have gone a little nuts. My car isn't here yet but I've ordered:

17x7.5 Enkei RPF1 in bright silver
255/40/17 kumho V730 - WIDE BOIS!
Crash Bolts
Whiteline front sway bar and adjustable endlinks

I saw the tire setup on a car at autocross in Kansas and I love the meats! The fella did pretty well too for his first outing in the car. He's a multi-time DS national champ but in a Mini. He's probably lurking on this forum somewhere :)

I will hopefully have the car in the next couple of weeks then get my break in done before 2 days of events here in Kansas City mid-june. Not sure if I will run the car both days or if I will give one day to my 72 Celica that is currently nearing a running state again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tho

Crash Bolts

I saw the tire setup on a car at autocross in Kansas and I love the meats! The fella did pretty well too for his first outing in the car. He's a multi-time DS national champ but in a Mini. He's probably lurking on this forum somewhere :)

I will hopefully have the car in the next couple of weeks then get my break in done before 2 days of events here in Kansas City mid-june. Not sure if I will run the car both days or if I will give one day to my 72 Celica that is currently nearing a running state again.
[/QUOT

·
Registered
160 Posts

Crash Bolts

Nice! Please share some pictures when you get those tires mounted.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Crash Bolts

What made you decide to go front instead of rear arb?

also general question if I just takecrash bolts to the alignment shop they should know how to install or should I install and let them do the alignment afterwards?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What made you decide to go front instead of rear arb?

also general question if I just takecrash bolts to the alignment shop they should know how to install or should I install and let them do the alignment afterwards?
The front bar along with the added camber will increase turn-in and front end grip. The rear of the car is already playful enough, the bigger front bar will go a long way towards balancing that out.

The crash bolts should be able to be installed by a shop. There are official subaru service manual directions somewhere online. I know I've seen them. It's probably also in the database of whatever repair software they use. You could install them yourself however. It's seemingly pretty easy to put them in, push in the top of the rotor.. and then tighten them up. They aren't cammed like a camber bolt would be so there's really no adjustment. You just get everything there is to give.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
490 Posts
The front bar along with the added camber will increase turn-in and front end grip. The rear of the car is already playful enough, the bigger front bar will go a long way towards balancing that out.

The crash bolts should be able to be installed by a shop. There are official subaru service manual directions somewhere online. I know I've seen them. It's probably also in the database of whatever repair software they use. You could install them yourself however. It's seemingly pretty easy to put them in, push in the top of the rotor.. and then tighten them up. They aren't cammed like a camber bolt would be so there's really no adjustment. You just get everything there is to give.
Did my own crash bolts. On the last gen, the bolts apparently gave us 0.1 degrees of toe in. I haven't checked the alignment yet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
the camber bolts are eccentric. As you rotate the bolt it will add/remove camber. So you rotate it to the position where you see the most negative gain and then tighten it down. This will be a rough installation until you can get the car to an alignment shop, then they can dial it in (even on both sides) while on the rack.

·
Registered
490 Posts
the camber bolts are eccentric. As you rotate the bolt it will add/remove camber. So you rotate it to the position where you see the most negative gain and then tighten it down. This will be a rough installation until you can get the car to an alignment shop, then they can dial it in (even on both sides) while on the rack.
This is incorrect for this car. The original camber bolts and the replacement crash bolts are not eccentric.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Did you just push the wheel in for max camber and tighten it down and just leave it at however much camber that gave you?
I did. The forums from the previous gen are where I got the data about toe.

On the previous gen, you get about 1.3 degrees of camber and 0.1 degrees of toe-in with crash bolts at full negative position. I haven't got data for this gen.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is incorrect for this car. The original camber bolts and the replacement crash bolts are not eccentric.
If the aftermarket camber bolts are not as shown below...then how would they function? On a Mcstrut car there are only 3 ways of adjusting camber (without adjustable LCAs).
Camber plate at the top.
Slot in strut hole or slot in spindle hole so that you can push the spindle in or out and then tighten bolts.
Camber bolt as depicted below which gets used with round holes in spindle and strut. The cam changes the alignment of the holes.
I'm hoping folks aren't just using a smaller diameter bolt!
Light Camera accessory Line Auto part Tool

·
Registered
27 Posts
for DS, the only camber bolt you are legally allowed to use is the Toyota/Subaru part.
The 86/BRZ front struts use two bolts, a larger bolt in the top hole and a smaller bolt in the bottom hole.
You are just using the smaller OEM bolt in both holes. The upper bolt hole is slightly larger to accommodate
the original bolt and the slop you see with the smaller bolt gets you a little more camber (.1 - .3 deg).
Any aftermarket camber bolt is not legal for SCCA autocross in D Street.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i presume the OEM bolts are made by a Japanese company, not SPC.
the OEM bolts are not eccentric like the SPC bolts pictured above. you can use the SPC bolts, just don't
be surprised if somebody protests you for using an illegal part.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts