Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my BRZ for just over 2 weeks now and would like to get other owners' opinions on a couple noises that I've been hearing. It is an automatic BRZ premium with about 700 miles on it and I've been staying under 4k rpm.

The first is the hissing that seems to come from underneath the glove box whenever AC or heat is on. It is most clearly audible when fan is set to low, it is still there as I increase fan speed but after the 3rd or 4th fan speed the fan noise mostly overpowers the hissing. The hissing does not come from the fans. Does not matter if AC light is on or not, as long as the fan blows the hissing is there.

The second noise started happening at about 300 miles on the odometer. The closest thing I can describe it as is a high pitched cat purring noise if you've ever heard it. It is only audible when the car is idling in gear or in park. The pitch of the noise does not change with engine speed but once I start moving, it either disappears after 5-10 mph or the engine noise overpowers it so I can no longer hear it. This noise comes and goes, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the engine being warmed up, some days it's there after a cold start, some days it starts fine but then I can hear it after I've driven for half an hour and stop at a red light. If I turn the engine off when it's hissing, you can hear it 'die out' as in the frequency of the noise decreases over half a second as the car shuts off.

I will be getting it checked out when I go back to the dealership for the replacement of the faulty homelink rearview mirror and my 1k oil change but would love to hear any insight you guys can provide.

*edited for grammar

·
Registered
101 Posts
The crickets are back! :ROFLMAO: That second noise you describe is almost certainly what we called "crickets" in the previous gen cars. It's nothing to worry about at all. Some people find it annoying, some people find it endearing. Not all cars have crickets, but it seems like yours does!

Some have said a heavier weight (5w-30) engine oil will stop the ticking sound, but most just ignore it and there won't be any issue.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB 6MT
7 Posts
Mine had a creaking noise like coil creak underneath the seat when there are horizontal bumps in lower speed. Seems like it's a seat or seatbelt holder installation issue.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
225 Posts
The crickets are back! :ROFLMAO: That second noise you describe is almost certainly what we called "crickets" in the previous gen cars. It's nothing to worry about at all. Some people find it annoying, some people find it endearing. Not all cars have crickets, but it seems like yours does!

Some have said a heavier weight (5w-30) engine oil will stop the ticking sound, but most just ignore it and there won't be any issue.
Do they use 0w weight oil? Ugh - hate that stuff. Its just soooooo thin! 5w 30 to me is the minimum you'd want.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do they use 0w weight oil? Ugh - hate that stuff. Its just soooooo thin! 5w 30 to me is the minimum you'd want.
0w-20 yup. I'm probably going to switch to 5w-30 when I start tracking it.

I'm far from an expert, but I know there's a lot of speculation that 0w-20 is mostly to satisfy emissions regulations. It helps squeeze out that 1 more mpg. For example, with the 2015+ mazda mx5's, only the US runs 0w-20. The rest of the world uses 5w-30 from the factory... Anyways, that's my two cents.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,099 Posts
The bigger the difference between the cold and hot ratings for oil the more likely the oil is to be unstable and break down faster. A 20 weight oil is totally fine. But a 5w20 is more chemically stable and less likely to experience a loss in viscosity that a 0-20 or 5-30. I will be using a 5-20 just like i have in my mazda 3 that called for 0-20. It now has 223k miles on it and is good as new. For what its worth I work for a company that makes the viscosity modifiers used by many major oil companies. I know a thing or 2 about oil. LOL

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,171 Posts
I've had my BRZ for just over 2 weeks now and would like to get other owners' opinions on a couple noises that I've been hearing. It is an automatic BRZ premium with about 700 miles on it and I've been staying under 4k rpm.

The first is the hissing that seems to come from underneath the glove box whenever AC or heat is on. It is most clearly audible when fan is set to low, it is still there as I increase fan speed but after the 3rd or 4th fan speed the fan noise mostly overpowers the hissing. The hissing does not come from the fans. Does not matter if AC light is on or not, as long as the fan blows the hissing is there.

The second noise started happening at about 300 miles on the odometer. The closest thing I can describe it as is a high pitched cat purring noise if you've ever heard it. It is only audible when the car is idling in gear or in park. The pitch of the noise does not change with engine speed but once I start moving, it either disappears after 5-10 mph or the engine noise overpowers it so I can no longer hear it. This noise comes and goes, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the engine being warmed up, some days it's there after a cold start, some days it starts fine but then I can hear it after I've driven for half an hour and stop at a red light. If I turn the engine off when it's hissing, you can hear it 'die out' as in the frequency of the noise decreases over half a second as the car shuts off.

I will be getting it checked out when I go back to the dealership for the replacement of the faulty homelink rearview mirror and my 1k oil change but would love to hear any insight you guys can provide.

*edited for grammar
If you can make a video to record the sound and post, we can probably tell you if its abnormal or not.

In the old cars there was a high pitch tweeting noise that came from a design fault with the fuel pump. They fixed it pretty quickly, however you could still hear it after the fix, it just wasn't as annoyingly loud.

The hissing noise is new, that could be some kind of leak with the air-conditioning unit -this is definitely something you want to get checked out at the dealer. Again, post something here and other owners might be able to give you an indication if its common - it helps to go armed with information before hitting the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts