Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
What about you? Planning on getting one ASAP or going to wait? I'm planning to wait like some here, I really want the car but I still have my brother's car that I'm using so no rush, plus I kind of want to see if they might make any special models like the Hakone.
I put my deposit down but I’m in no real rush to get it. I kind of hope to see a teaser or something of that GR Corolla between now and whenever my car comes so I can compare.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice, it should be something like the GR Yaris supposedly and it was supposed to debut in 2021 but COVID-19 delayed that. I read it might be shown sometime around June 2022 so if you don't get the car till than, you might be able to compare them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nice, it should be something like the GR Yaris supposedly and it was supposed to debut in 2021 but COVID-19 delayed that. I read it might be shown sometime around June 2022 so if you don't get the car till than, you might be able to compare them.
Yeah I’d be happy with either for sure. I’m just weighing my options.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah I’d be happy with either for sure. I’m just weighing my options.
After driving my cousins 350z with 300hp, I feel like that is a perfect of HP for a DD, so I have my eye on the Nissan Z as well. It's nice that it has 400hp but that might be a little more than I need and rather have it NA, which is why I'm leaning towards the 86 more. I really can't wait till I can test drive the GR86 or even the BRZ if there's one to test drive so I can get the feel of the car. Everyone who has a chance to use both cars, say they're great so I have high hopes for them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After driving my cousins 350z with 300hp, I feel like that is a perfect of HP for a DD, so I have my eye on the Nissan Z as well. It's nice that it has 400hp but that might be a little more than I need and rather have it NA, which is why I'm leaning towards the 86 more. I really can't wait till I can test drive the GR86 or even the BRZ if there's one to test drive so I can get the feel of the car. Everyone who has a chance to use both cars, say they're great so I have high hopes for them.
Only thing that worries me about the 400z is that though it's rumored to come in at like 35k, the extra horsepower and resurgence of the Z brand might make it get insane markups. I'm sure there are people who are passing on the GR86/BRZ simply because of the power output - and the 400Z doesn't have that problem.

·
Registered
512 Posts
We have really good options at this point. Only reason why I’m considering a GR Corolla is because I already owned a 86, so realistically I know it’s more of the same with a power bump. Also being a Toyota fan the idea of a thoroughbred Toyota is awesome to me. Especially since it’s been awhile.

The negative could definitely be the price (same with the Z) but since it is priced a little higher you won’t have as many super young fanboys on the forums since they won’t end up in one until they’re used. This forum is awesome but there has been some unrealistic takes on here every once in awhile due to the hype.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Only thing that worries me about the 400z is that though it's rumored to come in at like 35k, the extra horsepower and resurgence of the Z brand might make it get insane markups. I'm sure there are people who are passing on the GR86/BRZ simply because of the power output - and the 400Z doesn't have that problem.
I really can't see it going for $35K, has to be at least 40k and for sure I can see the crazy mark ups. GR86 is still probably my 1st choice, I loved the GT86 when I had but that torque dip really sucked but that problem should be gone but I need to test drive the car to really know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have really good options at this point. Only reason why I’m considering a GR Corolla is because I already owned a 86, so realistically I know it’s more of the same with a power bump. Also being a Toyota fan the idea of a thoroughbred Toyota is awesome to me. Especially since it’s been awhile.

The negative could definitely be the price (same with the Z) but since it is priced a little higher you won’t have as many super young fanboys on the forums since they won’t end up in one until they’re used. This forum is awesome but there has been some unrealistic takes on here every once in awhile due to the hype.
Yeah the GR Yaris is great and the GR Corolla sounds like it's going to be awesome too but for me personally, hatches just aren't my thing.

That's the one good side of the Z, like you said, most won't be able to afford one until they can buy a used one. Unlike the GR86/BRZ tho, we will probably see a good amount everywhere lol

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah the GR Yaris is great and the GR Corolla sounds like it's going to be awesome too but for me personally, hatches just aren't my thing.

That's the one good side of the Z, like you said, most won't be able to afford one until they can buy a used one. Unlike the GR86/BRZ tho, we will probably see a good amount everywhere lol
Yeah definitely. The Z is a liftback! But I get it, it’s still sharp looking.

Exactly, especially the first 3 years you’ll see them because of the brand new sports car hype, then people will find something to hate about them, people start picking them up used and slamming them. That’s usually the cycle.

Like I said with all these delays I’m sure my car won’t be here until Januaryish and if we get spy shots or an official teaser from Toyota, I’ll decide then whether to follow through with the 86 or refund my deposit and wait. The Z might be Nissan’s golden child since they’re considering killing off the GTR again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think I would consider the Z, but the things that get me are that its not N/A and it's riding on a platform that came out in... 2004? Not to say it's a bad platform, and I'm sure they've improved on said platform throughout the years/generations, but I've never liked Nissans way of handling their sports cars since the 350z and GTR. Both got very little love from Nissan, sitting on the same chassis as they came out with. 2004 was almost two decades ago.

For the GR Corolla, it's actually very enticing. I'm with Jeonsa that it'd be real nice to own a Toyota made by Toyota. The GR86 and Corolla are completely different cars though. Their only similarity are that they'd fun to drive and gawk over. One's NA, lowslung, and RWD. The other's FI, very practical, and AWD. I think I've always preferred the former.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think I would consider the Z, but the things that get me are that its not N/A and it's riding on a platform that came out in... 2004? Not to say it's a bad platform, and I'm sure they've improved on said platform throughout the years/generations, but I've never liked Nissans way of handling their sports cars since the 350z and GTR. Both got very little love from Nissan, sitting on the same chassis as they came out with. 2004 was almost two decades ago.

For the GR Corolla, it's actually very enticing. I'm with Jeonsa that it'd be real nice to own a Toyota made by Toyota. The GR86 and Corolla are completely different cars though. Their only similarity are that they'd fun to drive and gawk over. One's NA, lowslung, and RWD. The other's FI, very practical, and AWD. I think I've always preferred the former.
The more I look at that blurry teaser I swear the GR Corolla has the same coupe like body. I’m actually leaning more onto it then before. I give Toyota crap for leaning too much into the marketing of the GR86, but if that car ends up being a coupe we’ll see an insane amount of heritage clips. 😂

As far as the Z goes the old chassis could work in their favor with reliability and if the GTR is officially discontinued, you can count on the Nismo Z to be insane.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah definitely. The Z is a liftback! But I get it, it’s still sharp looking.

Exactly, especially the first 3 years you’ll see them because of the brand new sports car hype, then people will find something to hate about them, people start picking them up used and slamming them. That’s usually the cycle.

Like I said with all these delays I’m sure my car won’t be here until Januaryish and if we get spy shots or an official teaser from Toyota, I’ll decide then whether to follow through with the 86 or refund my deposit and wait. The Z might be Nissan’s golden child since they’re considering killing off the GTR again.
For sure, some people already hate the new Z right now just because it's pretty much a 370z with a new body, which I do understand. And I still can't believe they're even considering killing off the GTR, it's just sad to see all these car companies who used to have so many sport cars down to 1 or 2 now.

Hopefully there's not a big delay for the 86, AU is getting them around June 2022 now.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Completely agree, even though I am considering the new Z, that's why I'm leaning more to the 86

·
Registered
512 Posts
For sure, some people already hate the new Z right now just because it's pretty much a 370z with a new body, which I do understand. And I still can't believe they're even considering killing off the GTR, it's just sad to see all these car companies who used to have so many sport cars down to 1 or 2 now.

Hopefully there's not a big delay for the 86, AU is getting them around June 2022 now.
I think the hate stems from some people overhyping the vehicle. You hear a lot of “Wow this is better than….” Or “Look Toyota, this is how you do it!!!”
If people just took it as another way a manufacturer makes a sports car without losing money you would see less hate. The Z is great just because Nissan, who was hemorrhaging money found a way to build a newer Z.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think the hate stems from some people overhyping the vehicle. You hear a lot of “Wow this is better than….” Or “Look Toyota, this is how you do it!!!”
If people just took it as another way a manufacturer makes a sports car without losing money you would see less hate. The Z is great just because Nissan, who was hemorrhaging money found a way to build a newer Z.
Right but I think no matter what, people will always find something to hate sadly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Right but I think no matter what, people will always find something to hate sadly.
Most people will criticize what they dont like, and only support the facts that enforce their beliefs.

Its a world full of billions of people, and most car enthusiast have a certain amount of crazy and diehard fanaticism.

some want a pure brute force powerhouse that can go 0 -60 mph in a straight line in an unbelievable timframe.

They will espouse these cars.

I want a car thats lightweight, nimble. responsive, sexy, and will flips its wheels and take turns at an angle most people will look at and say "thats not possibe?!!"

Thats why im getting an 86.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I really can't see it going for $35K, has to be at least 40k and for sure I can see the crazy mark ups. GR86 is still probably my 1st choice, I loved the GT86 when I had but that torque dip really sucked but that problem should be gone but I need to test drive the car to really know.
No one has said 35,000 for the z in months. All I read now is under 40,000. That is 39,999. I think the 370z felt like driving a rocket, but the automatic lagged a bit. I would only consider a stick. Especially if it's a turbo, which I hate the lag of.

I think I'm sticking with the BRZ. Reminds me of the Chrysler Conquest I had in 1988.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Most people will criticize what they dont like, and only support the facts that enforce their beliefs.

Its a world full of billions of people, and most car enthusiast have a certain amount of crazy and diehard fanaticism.

some want a pure brute force powerhouse that can go 0 -60 mph in a straight line in an unbelievable timframe.

They will espouse these cars.

I want a car thats lightweight, nimble. responsive, sexy, and will flips its wheels and take turns at an angle most people will look at and say "thats not possibe?!!"

Thats why im getting an 86.
Don’t forget to send in your application to the Toyota Marketing department.

They need you.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts