Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my visits to certain car dealerships recently (Subaru & Honda) I’d been informed, they are all confirming their component chip shortages are continuing, and in short supply. Auto factories are opting to use what supplies remain available until inventories return to normal levels primarily into their current best selling vehicles. The possibility of new model year vehicles unfortunately being delayed, maybe a real negative issue. :confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was told I might be able to purchase a Scion FR-S now, for about the same price as a new 86 if they receive any, while at a Toyota dealership recently, so sad.
Lol. I feel for the poor sucker that takes that bait!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Eh, I think the GR86 will be just fine since Toyota has their own stockpile.

Toyota Sidesteps Chip Shortage (yahoo.com)
Welcome to the forum @TeddyMarinaro
Great to see Toyota wasn't impacted. But Ford was and now has a fresh supply of semiconductor chips helping to clear a big backlog. It could also be an indication of things finally turning around overall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, there's an awesome video about how Toyota's manufacturing process, if followed 100%, would've led to everyone having enough chips. Sadly they only copied the cost savings portion and that's why everyone ended up sans chips for so long. Now that manufacturing is picking up on the silicon side, hopefully others will be able to catch up.

Why There are Now So Many Shortages (It's Not COVID) - YouTube

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, there's an awesome video about how Toyota's manufacturing process, if followed 100%, would've led to everyone having enough chips. Sadly they only copied the cost savings portion and that's why everyone ended up sans chips for so long. Now that manufacturing is picking up on the silicon side, hopefully others will be able to catch up.

Why There are Now So Many Shortages (It's Not COVID) - YouTube
This is all good news, now comes the big catch-up, it should make for a great 2022 inventory introduction!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was told I might be able to purchase a Scion FR-S now, for about the same price as a new 86 if they receive any, while at a Toyota dealership recently, so sad.
"Only the most exclusive VIPs can get in line to buy the 2022 FR-S" :LOL:

·
Registered
332 Posts

Funny how other people (I assume competitors) tried to blame Toyota for the shortage.

What doesn’t seem to make sense is how just-in-time inventory management, a technique Toyota took to long ago, has been blamed by some for the chip shortage. However, Toyota CFO Kenta Kon told Reuters the auto giant changed its supply-chain management practices after the Fukushima earthquake in 2011. The strategic shift allows for assessing “alternative products” quickly in case of disaster. That, presumably, allowed the company to quickly adjust as microprocessor chips for the auto industry started to become scarce.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny how other people (I assume competitors) tried to blame Toyota for the shortage.

What doesn’t seem to make sense is how just-in-time inventory management, a technique Toyota took to long ago, has been blamed by some for the chip shortage. However, Toyota CFO Kenta Kon told Reuters the auto giant changed its supply-chain management practices after the Fukushima earthquake in 2011. The strategic shift allows for assessing “alternative products” quickly in case of disaster. That, presumably, allowed the company to quickly adjust as microprocessor chips for the auto industry started to become scarce.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Toyota better share some of that stockpile to Subaru for the BRZ if they need it.
Well, most all of the existing hardware components are shared by these twins already, but semiconductor chips may have proprietary issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, most all of the existing hardware components are shared by these twins already, but semiconductor chips may have proprietary issues.
Also, Please Note: I just noticed the Wall Street Journal today carried an article quoting VW AG; They see the Global Chip Shortages worsening during the second half of this year!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts