Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This part is made to connect two pieces of exhaust pipe of equal diameter. The part is a total of 4” long. Remove tip. Slide one end over the exhaust pipe and install with exhaust clamp. Reinstall exhaust tip. It is now extends Out to a more proper length. Cost about $12 and is very secure. Exhaust tip on right is with part, left side is stock. Back, side and rear view.
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Netbook Automotive exterior Grille

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Hand Bottle Fluid Finger Nail
Hand Bottle Fluid Finger Nail

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that and did not like the results. Not much of the exhaust pipe was inside the tip. Even when the tip was tightened, it wasn’t very secure. The method described above basically extends the length of the exhaust pipe a couple of inches And is a very secure fit. $12 total price and 15 minutes Of time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dumb question, but do you actually insert this in the existing pipe before reinstalling the tip? The way it looks, it looks like the smaller diameter end is supposed to slide into the existing pipe, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The larger end fits over the existing exhaust pipe. It’s a very tight fit. The smaller end slides into the tip, just like the original pipe. The actual exhaust flow is not restricted any as inside diameter remains the same. I bought them from the local automotive parts store. The ‘Walker” brand has the same part and may be more available.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The larger end fits over the existing exhaust pipe. It’s a very tight fit. The smaller end slides into the tip, just like the original pipe. The actual exhaust flow is not restricted any as inside diameter remains the same. I bought them from the local automotive parts store. The ‘Walker” brand has the same part and may be more available.
Thanks, Oscar. Certainly a more economical solution than buying the JDM tips.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought mine at OReilleys auto parts store locally. They had lots of exhaust pipe connectors in various sizes. I’m sure they can be bought online as well. Outside diameter Is 2.25, inside diameter is 2.0. The picture of the part above show manufactures website and part number. I just took my exhaust tip inside the auto parts store and tried them out till I found the right one.

·
Registered
'22 MT GR86 Grey
104 Posts
Does anyone have an explanation as to why the non-JDM models have these tucked away exhaust tips? Cause the Japan ones definitely don't.

Is it some sort of law/rule? Just curious to know why this really odd difference exists.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Does anyone have an explanation as to why the non-JDM models have these tucked away exhaust tips? Cause the Japan ones definitely don't.

Is it some sort of law/rule? Just curious to know why this really odd difference exists.
something about insurance companies in the US liking it better because they won't have to replace the muffler / exhaust in the event of a light rear end accident.

Reactions: Nannou

·
Vendor
2022 GR86 Premium MT - Neptune Blue (Pending Allocation)
522 Posts
How did you secure that extension tubing onto the existing OE tubing? Did you just.. snug it on there, clamp it, weld it?

I'll probably go this route but give it a tack-weld for some "insurance".

Edit - Just reread that you clamped it on. I would have an exhaust shop give you a little tack-weld on there. Probably get it done for like $20.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome fix! As soon as I saw this post I ran to O’rileys and luckily they had two pipes left lol, I was gonna buy the JDM tips but those are $120…

Install takes less than 10 minutes. The extensions fit super snugly on the existing muffler tip, and are really difficult to pull out. This is because the OEM muffler tips have a tooth on the top (meant to guide the OEM tips) that kinda “bite” into the extensions. That makes them a bit of a struggle to put in, but also to pull out. I can’t imagine these falling out at all. Honestly a must-do cause the original fitment sucks and the two extensions cost only $5 EACH, which is less than a meal at McDonalds.

here are some pictures!
Before:
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Wheel

Both:
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

After:
Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire

1 - 20 of 58 Posts