Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know we’re still waiting on the big price reveal and for order books to open. Just hang in there! Until then we finally have English subtitles to DK’s first impressions on Carprime set to release soon

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of the craziest things I’ve learned more from the video was how DK actually had some say in the development of the first gen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for posting this video on this forum. I did the same on 'Pistonheads', just to clarify a bit of confusion made from the subtitles. Don't get me wrong, its great what the translator did, as it takes a lot of time to do this (for a small audience), but here's what I wrote on the Pistonheads page:

Disclaimer - as a Japanese speaker, I have to be honest here to mention that the translation is 80% accurate, but sometimes comes across as a bit of broken English - so its best to take in what is mentioned in the subtitles in a light hearted way. Huge credit to Yusuke Sasaki for the effort to translating though, this isn't me bashing him FYI and its great that he dedicated his time to translate for English speakers. If I come across as picky, its just because I think its not helpful if the information thats coming across is not done correctly.
  1. 0:26 "My one (GT86) has become vintage!" - he's speaking on relative terms. He's just jokingly referring to his GT86 as the older or 'vintage' car than the new GR86.
  2. 3:51 "Tail lights look like a Lexus" - Vauxhall Insignias and some American market Hondas/Acuras aren't sold in Japan, so most people in Japan aren't aware about the similarities in the GR86's rear end to those other cars. So if any of you are laughing at that remark, just understand that he may be naive.
  3. 4:40 "MT cars will completely disappear by 2030" - he's referring to the fact that the Japanese Government has proposed a ban in new car sales (petrol cars) for Japan only.
  4. 4:52 "The design looks like a sport car" - more accurate to be translated as "The interior is much more driver oriented than the outgoing GT86"
  5. 6:34 "AE86 is the super car which was made in Japan in 1984" - I'm sure Tsuchiya san knows what a supercar is (after driving McLaren F1 in LeMans and Ferrari F50 for those old 'Best Motoring' episodes at Suzuka Circuit), but I guess he was trying to make a point that the AE86 was an 'iconic' or 'appealing' car, not a 'supercar'.
  6. 6:44 "At that time, car lovers drove low emission vehicles" - the translation was incorrect here to what Tsuchiya san says. Instead, he said in Japanese "small displacement engined vehicles".
  7. 9:00 "In 2003, I contracted with Honda. Can you believe this story" - the translation is again incorrect here - it should be "in 2013, I had a contract with Honda (Modulo division), do you really expect an outsider like me to be invited to Toyota's Nagoya headquarters to advise on the development of the GT86?"
  8. 14:32 "I feel my 86 and this 86 are totally different cars" - should be better translated as "its hard to believe that the GR86 shares a lot of carry-over chassis design to the outgoing GT86, because it has a noticeable amount of improvement in body torsional rigidity, and the way the suspension is optimised better"
  9. 15:39 "The rear tires are naturally moving" and 16:38 "The rear tires do not slip so much" - would be much better translated as "there is a progressive breakaway of traction from the rear axle"
  10. 17:03 "This is GR86" would be better translated as "This car does deserve the 'GR' badge (like the GR Yaris and GR Supra)"
  11. 19:29 "Also, the weight of the car is lighter than previous 86 by just several kilograms" should be better translated as "the roof made out of aluminium may only be a few kilograms lighter than the steel roof of the GT86, but you really do notice the centre of gravity difference with such small weight differences"
  12. 20:45 When he calls it a 'Lexus 86', he's trying to convey that the increased torsional rigidity makes it feel like a more solid/premium feel of an expensive car - like how a hypothetical lightweight Lexus car would be like. Like a metaphorical compliment.
  13. 22:25 "I think my 86 is like a sport car for ordinary people, but new GR86 is a sport car for rich people" - what Tsuchiya actually said was "I know its a weird way to put it, but the GT86 is like the car for ordinary people, but the GR86 feels like a car from the class above. I wish I can find a better way to explain..."
  14. 23:17 "...lowered its height by 1 or 2 millimetres to make a downforce" would be better translated as "...lowered its height by 1 or 2 millimetres to lower the centre of gravity"
Regarding to why Tsuchiya san is wearing a mask - this same video (without subtitles, with 730k+ views) was uploaded on CARPRIME's main channel on July 2021 and at the time, Japan was having large outbreaks in COVID cases. Japan has previously had many health crises in the past, so its collectivist culture has had the majority of its population wearing masks.

Whats interesting to take away from this video is the lineage between the AE86 and the GR86. These cars were developed in a way that doesn't follow the trend of the car industry. The AE86 was announced in an era when most of its competitors were going for front wheel drive setups (that are cheaper to manufacture and offer better interior room). The GR86 was announced in an era where governments are making bans to petrol powered cars in the not too distant future, in an era where people buy tall SUVs, in an era where people want autonomous driving Teslas. YET Toyota decided to produce a low-profit car that only appeals to a niche market for car enthusiasts. At 27:09, the subtitles mention "If we don't buy this car, it means we betray Toyota" - I think thats quite a big point he makes. Yes of course, most young people would rather avoid taking the depreciation hit with new cars, but if we REALLY want car companies to continue to produce affordable sportscars, you got to 'send' a clear message to them, buy buying them brand new.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting this video on this forum. I did the same on 'Pistonheads', just to clarify a bit of confusion made from the subtitles. Don't get me wrong, its great what the translator did, as it takes a lot of time to do this (for a small audience), but here's what I wrote on the Pistonheads page:

Disclaimer - as a Japanese speaker, I have to be honest here to mention that the translation is 80% accurate, but sometimes comes across as a bit of broken English - so its best to take in what is mentioned in the subtitles in a light hearted way. Huge credit to Yusuke Sasaki for the effort to translating though, this isn't me bashing him FYI and its great that he dedicated his time to translate for English speakers. If I come across as picky, its just because I think its not helpful if the information thats coming across is not done correctly.
  1. 0:26 "My one (GT86) has become vintage!" - he's speaking on relative terms. He's just jokingly referring to his GT86 as the older or 'vintage' car than the new GR86.
  2. 3:51 "Tail lights look like a Lexus" - Vauxhall Insignias and some American market Hondas/Acuras aren't sold in Japan, so most people in Japan aren't aware about the similarities in the GR86's rear end to those other cars. So if any of you are laughing at that remark, just understand that he may be naive.
  3. 4:40 "MT cars will completely disappear by 2030" - he's referring to the fact that the Japanese Government has proposed a ban in new car sales (petrol cars) for Japan only.
  4. 4:52 "The design looks like a sport car" - more accurate to be translated as "The interior is much more driver oriented than the outgoing GT86"
  5. 6:34 "AE86 is the super car which was made in Japan in 1984" - I'm sure Tsuchiya san knows what a supercar is (after driving McLaren F1 in LeMans and Ferrari F50 for those old 'Best Motoring' episodes at Suzuka Circuit), but I guess he was trying to make a point that the AE86 was an 'iconic' or 'appealing' car, not a 'supercar'.
  6. 6:44 "At that time, car lovers drove low emission vehicles" - the translation was incorrect here to what Tsuchiya san says. Instead, he said in Japanese "small displacement engined vehicles".
  7. 9:00 "In 2003, I contracted with Honda. Can you believe this story" - the translation is again incorrect here - it should be "in 2013, I had a contract with Honda (Modulo division), do you really expect an outsider like me to be invited to Toyota's Nagoya headquarters to advise on the development of the GT86?"
  8. 14:32 "I feel my 86 and this 86 are totally different cars" - should be better translated as "its hard to believe that the GR86 shares a lot of carry-over chassis design to the outgoing GT86, because it has a noticeable amount of improvement in body torsional rigidity, and the way the suspension is optimised better"
  9. 15:39 "The rear tires are naturally moving" and 16:38 "The rear tires do not slip so much" - would be much better translated as "there is a progressive breakaway of traction from the rear axle"
  10. 17:03 "This is GR86" would be better translated as "This car does deserve the 'GR' badge (like the GR Yaris and GR Supra)"
  11. 19:29 "Also, the weight of the car is lighter than previous 86 by just several kilograms" should be better translated as "the roof made out of aluminium may only be a few kilograms lighter than the steel roof of the GT86, but you really do notice the centre of gravity difference with such small weight differences"
  12. 20:45 When he calls it a 'Lexus 86', he's trying to convey that the increased torsional rigidity makes it feel like a more solid/premium feel of an expensive car - like how a hypothetical lightweight Lexus car would be like. Like a metaphorical compliment.
  13. 22:25 "I think my 86 is like a sport car for ordinary people, but new GR86 is a sport car for rich people" - what Tsuchiya actually said was "I know its a weird way to put it, but the GT86 is like the car for ordinary people, but the GR86 feels like a car from the class above. I wish I can find a better way to explain..."
  14. 23:17 "...lowered its height by 1 or 2 millimetres to make a downforce" would be better translated as "...lowered its height by 1 or 2 millimetres to lower the centre of gravity"
Regarding to why Tsuchiya san is wearing a mask - this same video (without subtitles, with 730k+ views) was uploaded on CARPRIME's main channel on July 2021 and at the time, Japan was having large outbreaks in COVID cases. Japan has previously had many health crises in the past, so its collectivist culture has had the majority of its population wearing masks.

Whats interesting to take away from this video is the lineage between the AE86 and the GR86. These cars were developed in a way that doesn't follow the trend of the car industry. The AE86 was announced in an era when most of its competitors were going for front wheel drive setups (that are cheaper to manufacture and offer better interior room). The GR86 was announced in an era where governments are making bans to petrol powered cars in the not too distant future, in an era where people buy tall SUVs, in an era where people want autonomous driving Teslas. YET Toyota decided to produce a low-profit car that only appeals to a niche market for car enthusiasts. At 27:09, the subtitles mention "If we don't buy this car, it means we betray Toyota" - I think thats quite a big point he makes. Yes of course, most young people would rather avoid taking the depreciation hit with new cars, but if we REALLY want car companies to continue to produce affordable sportscars, you got to 'send' a clear message to them, buy buying them brand new.
Great breakdown. The twins definitely have a interesting behind the scenes and having Keiichi give a little background/first impressions of the car is refreshing. I remember years ago where he said the only gripe he had with the GT86 is they didn’t add the Corolla name in it.

Makes you wonder what he’ll think about Toyota’s full GR lineup in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great breakdown. The twins definitely have a interesting behind the scenes and having Keiichi give a little background/first impressions of the car is refreshing. I remember years ago where he said the only gripe he had with the GT86 is they didn’t add the Corolla name in it.

Makes you wonder what he’ll think about Toyota’s full GR lineup in the future.
No problem, hope it helps🤞

And yes you're right about the behind-the-scenes development with the 1st generation GT86/BRZ. First, Toyota pitched the idea to Subaru who were reluctant with the idea. Toyota modified their Imprezza to a RWD layout to show Subaru the potential of this car, and then Subaru gradually got convinced and hacked their Legacy and make it RWD to test the waters.

Maybe Tsuchiya wanted the 'Corolla Levin' name back, but Toyota had a suspicion that the 'Corolla' name would put people off? But times have changed now in 2021 as they were brave enough to call their hugely popular AWD WRC homologation special a 'GR Yaris'.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Tire Wheel
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem, hope it helps🤞

And yes you're right about the behind-the-scenes development with the 1st generation GT86/BRZ. First, Toyota pitched the idea to Subaru who were reluctant with the idea. Toyota modified their Imprezza to a RWD layout to show Subaru the potential of this car, and then Subaru gradually got convinced and hacked their Legacy and make it RWD to test the waters.

Maybe Tsuchiya wanted the 'Corolla Levin' name back, but Toyota had a suspicion that the 'Corolla' name would put people off? But times have changed now in 2021 as they were brave enough to call their hugely popular AWD WRC homologation special a 'GR Yaris'. View attachment 2579 View attachment 2580
View attachment 2577 View attachment 2572 View attachment 2574 View attachment 2575 View attachment 2576
Yeah I remember the development! It’s kinda why I was disappointed in the Supra, because Toyota had so much input on the twins whereas the Zupra was kind of lazy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts