Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was growing up, everybody had a car blanket / stadium blanket in the trunk. So useful if your heater quit working, if you went to a football game on a chilly fall day, or stopped to eat your picnic at a wayside or park.

I still keep them in every car to this day. The main use these days is for food insulation. I can wrap up a hot take-out pizza or Chinese and it will still be hot when I get home. Or, I wrap up my ice cream and frozen foods from the grocery store so they don't thaw out on the drive back to the house.

I usually pick these up on eBay as vintage items. They are pretty inexpensive in most cases as nobody really wants them anymore. I usually look for 100% wool. If you want one, be careful of the synthetic fake wool from back in the '60s and '70s. Those plastics are breaking down and they just fall apart and get fuzz all over your interior.

Anyway, kind of a useful thing to have handy, and adds a bit of color and personality to the trunk of your car.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a nice thick one with a winter kit in case I get stranded. It's a huge box that would last me a night or dig my way out of trouble.
Good idea. Every once in a while I've removed the blanket, say before taking the car somewhere for service, and forgotten to put it back in. Then when I go to use it and it's not there, I kick myself for not putting it back!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I grew up in minnesta so my cars always had a blanket, jumpers, flashlight, snow boots, and sometimes a tin coffee can and a candle. Now that I'm not in the midwest I'm trying to break the habit. It felt really weird putting my jumpers and car blanket into storage.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I grew up in minnesta so my cars always had a blanket, jumpers, flashlight, snow boots, and sometimes a tin coffee can and a candle. Now that I'm not in the midwest I'm trying to break the habit. It felt really weird putting my jumpers and car blanket into storage.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Was the tin can for burning the candle inside it for heat?

·
Registered
2023 GR86 Base 6AT Raven; waiting for an allocation on a Premium 6MT Trueno Blue
100 Posts
Shoot, I'm a Florida kid but I've noticed that a lot of northerners or midwesterners do this all the time! Even in a sports car they're a classy touch for sure.

A whole blanket would be a little overkill in the south but I wonder if I could convince the Toyota Outfitters team to come up with some GR-branded emergency blankets just for us :unsure:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shoot, I'm a Florida kid but I've noticed that a lot of northerners or midwesterners do this all the time! Even in a sports car they're a classy touch for sure.

A whole blanket would be a little overkill in the south but I wonder if I could convince the Toyota Outfitters team to come up with some GR-branded emergency blankets just for us :unsure:
Maybe a beach blanket in a cool pattern?

Reactions: JDM Flip Flops

·
Registered
2023 GR86 Base 6AT Raven; waiting for an allocation on a Premium 6MT Trueno Blue
100 Posts
Maybe a beach blanket in a cool pattern?
In true Toyota fashion, you'll have to put your name on a 10-month long waitlist to get one, you won't be able to choose specifically what color you want but you can "request" an allocation for that color, and they'll all be subject to market adjustments as soon as they hit the dealers.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While I probably won't get much use out of it, that sounds EXACTLY like something I would convince myself that I would. Slap a GR logo on there somewhere and consider it sold.
There you go! The GR trunk blanket. Somebody get Toyota marketing on the horn! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
92 Celica, 99 Skyline, preorded 23 GR86 GR Parts in RED MT
70 Posts
Ever seen a beach or picnic blanket over MSRP with waitinglist?:unsure:

But hey the idea is classic cool, I will buy one when the car arrives. Had one in my celica and used it at the Nürburgring. Roxette style: Sleeping in my car :D
:giggle:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But hey the idea is classic cool, I will buy one when the car arrives. Had one in my celica and used it at the Nürburgring. Roxette style: Sleeping in my car :D
:giggle:
Hey, let the Jeep guys keep their rubber ducks! We go classic cool with the plaid car blankets, every color unique to the owner’s taste. 😎

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Couple more examples from our household.

In Mrs. Ritter's Durango:

In my 124 Spider, I have an interesting one that must have been given with a new Plymouth by the dealer. "Highland Plymouth". Has likely out-lasted the car, the dealership, and the brand itself! I'm thinking Highland Plymouth was in Highland, Indiana.

Reactions: TehNewbertz

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Base 6AT Pavement
11 Posts
Pizza all tucked away and ready for the ride home!
Ah, so that's something I could actually use. With my family, in the South where a wool blanket like that would probably make you overheat 11 months outta the year, we would use clean towels and wrap our Thanksgiving dishes up and place them in a laundry basket for transport. That might stop the annual dad-jokes about laundry day.

Rectangle Office equipment Automotive exterior Gas Electronic instrument

Would probably need to put the backseats down this year... :unsure:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah, so that's something I could actually use. With my family, in the South where a wool blanket like that would probably make you overheat 11 months outta the year, we would use clean towels and wrap our Thanksgiving dishes up and place them in a laundry basket for transport. That might stop the annual dad-jokes about laundry day.

View attachment 14706
Would probably need to put the backseats down this year... :unsure:
Ha ha, that's great! You must be like me, the ultimate practical person. I once had a guy make fun of me for bringing an umbrella to a baseball game. Guess what? It rained on the walk back to the car!

Actually for Thanksgiving meal transport I bought one of these beauties. This year will be the first test!

• Helpful
Reactions: TehNewbertz

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Base 6AT Pavement
11 Posts
Ha ha, that's great! You must be like me, the ultimate practical person. I once had a guy make fun of me for bringing an umbrella to a baseball game. Guess what? It rained on the walk back to the car!

Actually for Thanksgiving meal transport I bought one of these beauties. This year will be the first test!
Indeed. I'm a firm believer in the whole "if it looks stupid but it works.. it ain't stupid". Never hurts to be overly cautious.

That looks like quite the upgrade to Ol' Reliable, might pick one up and show up to Thanksgiving dinner in style this year. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm a firm believer in the whole "if it looks stupid but it works.. it ain't stupid". Never hurts to be overly cautious.
Brother from another mother! :LOL:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts