Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to whether Canadian gen 2 BRZ's have the TPMS electronics on-board and wheel sensors have simply been deleted. (The previous BRZ was missing the electronics, so Canadians who absolutely wanted TPMS had to go with the 86.) Have any Canadian 2022 BRZ owners looked into this?

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT, WR Blue
47 Posts
Curious as to whether Canadian gen 2 BRZ's have the TPMS electronics on-board and wheel sensors have simply been deleted. (The previous BRZ was missing the electronics, so Canadians who absolutely wanted TPMS had to go with the 86.) Have any Canadian 2022 BRZ owners looked into this?
So at first I was annoyed for the lack of TPMS on the car, and then I thought all the times TPMS has saved my bacon (none) and all the times it falsely reported problems or caused reset issues (not none) and I let it go.

In short, I'm ok with the TPMS being me.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like or want it either. This question actually has to do with whether Americans can buy and take home a Canada-spec car. They can't unless they can activate OEM TPMS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here is a PDF with relevant info. If someone who has a 2022 BRZ VIN number and preferred also a picture of the main vehicle ID plate I will use it look into importing cuz I'm US near the border. From the VIN I should be able to get at what equip is installed and can be added as far as the TPMS.
Someone PM me a pic, maybe find one for sale and snap a pic?

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
83 Posts
I don't think we will be able to. First, TPMS is not a required equipment in Canada so manufacturers are likely not going to put it in any vehicle that is sold to the Canadian market. Second, because majority of Canada has harsh winter and the use of winter tires is common, having a TPMS system on a Canadian market vehicle will only add to the cost of the consumer when they are getting rims and tires because they have to pay for the TPMS sensor as well. So from the manufacturer and the consumer stand point, there is no benefit to have the TPMS system on a Canadian spec car. If you really want to monitor the tire pressure, you can just do a weekly check yourself. The BRZ already come with an air compressor anyways.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT, WR Blue
47 Posts
I don't think we will be able to. First, TPMS is not a required equipment in Canada so manufacturers are likely not going to put it in any vehicle that is sold to the Canadian market. Second, because majority of Canada has harsh winter and the use of winter tires is common, having a TPMS system on a Canadian market vehicle will only add to the cost of the consumer when they are getting rims and tires because they have to pay for the TPMS sensor as well. So from the manufacturer and the consumer stand point, there is no benefit to have the TPMS system on a Canadian spec car. If you really want to monitor the tire pressure, you can just do a weekly check yourself. The BRZ already come with an air compressor anyways.
I'm not sure if that rationale+explanation is true or not. I've had TPMS on my last 4 vehicles, it seems to be everywhere. Again, just like the OP, I actually don't care about the functionality, but I also thought it was pretty ubiquitous at this point. It'd be like buying a car that doesn't come with power windows?!?

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
83 Posts
I'm not sure if that rationale+explanation is true or not. I've had TPMS on my last 4 vehicles, it seems to be everywhere. Again, just like the OP, I actually don't care about the functionality, but I also thought it was pretty ubiquitous at this point. It'd be like buying a car that doesn't come with power windows?!?
I just got a new set of rims for my winter tires with no TPMS sensor installed and there is no TPMS warning showing on the dash. From that I concluded the Canadian spec does not have the system. However, I cannot say for sure if there is a switch in the vehicle's control system to enable it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You don't have to have TPMS in the US as a consumer, it's just OEM installation of the worthless annoyances that's mandated. I don't think I've had a complete set of working ones last a year since I've had them in my cars starting around 2005 and have never bothered putting them on winter wheels (of course, the wheels sitting stationary in the basement for about half the year while I use the other set probably doesn't help their longevity). The idiot light being on does not cause a rejection for state inspection in MA, which is one of the tougher states (of the states that have inspections at all).

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
...so if I was an OEM, I would want to make as few variants as possible to keep things simpler and presumably cheaper (heck, I would try to put the steering wheel right in the middle of the dash). Maybe Subaru was lazy/efficient and installed the TPMS receiver and software in all cars, regardless of market. After all, they installed a bulb for the dash TPMS warning light. That's what the original question is about. And Joey thinks a Canadian VIN might help him figure this out. Can someone oblige?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way, the whole reason for this thread is this:

US MSRP plus delivery is USD 29K. Canada MSRP plus delivery is CAD 31.5K. Exchange rate is 1USD = 1.28CAD. That's a difference of over USD 4K. That's a nice chunk of change.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I found a dealer that lists VIN's there so I have plenty to work with.
Here is a pic of safety features on a stock manual BRZ and it has low tire pressure warning. Sounds kinda like TPMS huh?
I know an importer down here in Auburn WA who got me my Hilux Surf that came from Japan and thru Canada and then to me so hopefully I'll figure out what can be done.
Offhand, it looks like after hassles and dual taxations and offsets there is at best about 1.5 K to be saved buying Canadian and dragging it south over the border.
Will explore and report out in a few days.
Happy new year!
Font Parallel Number Screenshot Document

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it officially says "low tire pressure warning system", then you're golden, me thinks. And I don't think they would charge you tax if you are not a resident. Worst case, you apply to get it back. So how did you get from $4K to $1.5K?

·
Registered
178 Posts
The 1.5 is a guesstimate from what I see likely after paying CA and WA-US taxes etc. There discounts and offsets, plate change etc.
I think its possible to be more around 2.5K if getting an aggressive deal and avoiding hidden dealer fees.

But that said I may have hit a personal roadblock cuz it turns out the CA BRZ in the lesser trim has painted black 17" rims vs US version has painted Grey ones.
I don't think can go with black wheels; gotta go 17"s but painted in the silver-grey USA version -not black.
Actually I may be willing to go black but would need to see more pics.
Font Number Parallel Rectangle Document

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've got to see these canadian-spec 17" wheels, if indeed they differ from US spec. Might have to change the color I ordered. But I really doubt they would be different. In all the pics and vids that I found, they always look dark and glossy, but not actually black.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts