Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This upcoming GR86 is the very first car I am anticipating greatly. I have heard that it is coming out around Fall of this year, but I am very anxious to know if this will be available widely or it will be hard to buy when it first comes out.

If anybody have any idea or tips how to secure one when it comes out, please help out. Is there anyway to pre-order this or is that even allowed? Just throwing this idea out there because I would hate to scramble to grab one on release day. In other words, I would just like to have a peace of mind that I will get one when it does come out.

Thanks for any advice or comments in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
At the risk of being massively unpopular already, especially as if you've already joined this forum before the car's even been released you're probably looking to get one as soon as. But getting a new model of any car within the first year is a bit risky since a lot of the manufacturing processes are being refined and niggles with the car still being ironed out. It saves a lot of money to launch something that's 97% there rather than perfect so I'll be waiting for a bit before getting one partly for this reason. Also because I'm not ready to part with my Audi S1 just yet and I usually wait to get one second hand for the savings but there's definitely a really naggy part of me that would love to get the GR86 asap as it looks pretty much my perfect car.
Anyway, there's one bright side if you're not first in line lol :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
At the risk of being massively unpopular already, especially as if you've already joined this forum before the car's even been released you're probably looking to get one as soon as. But getting a new model of any car within the first year is a bit risky since a lot of the manufacturing processes are being refined and niggles with the car still being ironed out. It saves a lot of money to launch something that's 97% there rather than perfect so I'll be waiting for a bit before getting one partly for this reason. Also because I'm not ready to part with my Audi S1 just yet and I usually wait to get one second hand for the savings but there's definitely a really naggy part of me that would love to get the GR86 asap as it looks pretty much my perfect car.
Anyway, there's one bright side if you're not first in line lol :)
If they did end up adding the turbo I'd agree with you that it's risky but since it's still naturally aspirated I'm confident that it's still going to be reliable like the first gen cars.

@ghost from my understanding the orders will open sometime in the fall. Which means deliveries will likely start at the end of this year or beginning of next year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If they did end up adding the turbo I'd agree with you that it's risky but since it's still naturally aspirated I'm confident that it's still going to be reliable like the first gen cars.

@ghost from my understanding the orders will open sometime in the fall. Which means deliveries will likely start at the end of this year or beginning of next year.
It's not so much big changes, more things like fixing rattles, parts rubbing on panel paint, maybe dodgy valve springs etc. As an Engineer I've learned it best not to buy the very first or the very last of a product line. But depends what your priorities are ultimately.

·
Registered
58 Posts
maybe dodgy valve springs
THE VALVE SPRINGS WERE A SUPPLIER ISSUE AFFECTING MULTIPLE MODELS INCLUDING ONES THAT WERE ALREADY IN PRODUCTION FOR YEARS. The supplier was forging the material certs, nothing Subaru can control until they found out. God I'm tired of repeating this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
THE VALVE SPRINGS WERE A SUPPLIER ISSUE AFFECTING MULTIPLE MODELS INCLUDING ONES THAT WERE ALREADY IN PRODUCTION FOR YEARS. The supplier was forging the material certs, nothing Subaru can control until they found out. God I'm tired of repeating this.
I never said any of these issues would be Toyota's or Subaru's fault, it's purely an example of a problem that only gets found out after the test of time. VW have had similar issues with chain tensioners because of supplier problems and again, the later models (post 2012) of those TSI engines are the ones to go for.

But this sort of thing can happen at any time, say when the OEM moves to another supplier to save costs. So it's not a hard and fast rule but generally the test of time works in the consumers favour. So I'm just pointing out there's an upside if you have to wait for your GR86.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts