Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Vendor
2022 GR86 Premium MT - Neptune Blue (Pending Allocation)
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 3,600+ members here.

I got fed-up recently when I got the ol switcheroo at another Toyota dealership recently. I decided to use the Contact Us link on the Toyota NA website...

Toyota Support: We're here to help! | Contact Toyota

And from there I went to Dealership Experience... and I put in the local dealership. And gave them my two pennies...

I said that I completely understand the market and the situation that we are all in... but in these times Toyota NA has chosen to sit quietly while dealerships basically kick-us when we're down. Toyota has the ability to have some control over the way that dealerships conduct business. It's not even about the car, Subaru conducts good business with the exact platform. The way that these dealerships conduct business is a DIRECT representation of the values that Toyota sets forth here in North America and it's fucking disgusting.

I can imagine that if Toyota receives ONE email about this... then they won't blink an eye. If a hundred of us send an email... they might pay attention. But 3,000 of us send an email... then who knows. They MIGHT actually do something.

One of us is just a consumer... 3,000 of us is a community and I hope that you guys will step up and have a voice against what these shitty dealers are doing to us as a community.

·
Registered
2022 Neptune GR86- Base
37 Posts
I ended up paying about 4k over MSRP for mine once they wheeled the numbers around and played games with my trade in. Since there are so few available and it was the color I wanted I went ahead and went with the one I could find instead of continuing the search. I lost out on premium trim and manual trans but I still love the car. I actually am not a huge fan of alcantara so I actually like the base interior better. Losing the duckbill and the manual hurt but I can at least add the duckbill. I figure since I was knowingly making a bad decision by letting them sucker me on the lower trim and still the higher price and I'm not even sure toyota would or could do anything about my situation. I guess I could still contact them to let them know what happened and maybe it will help?

·
Vendor
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I could still contact them to let them know what happened and maybe it will help?
If anything, just let them know that the Mark-Ups are a slap-in-the-face in this economy where we're already hurting and it only communicates the greed and distain that Toyota as a company seems to not care about as long as profits are to be had. Toyota cannot say they care about their customers if they allow dealerships to take advantage of them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If anything, just let them know that the Mark-Ups are a slap-in-the-face in this economy where we're already hurting and it only communicates the greed and distain that Toyota as a company seems to not care about as long as profits are to be had. Toyota cannot say they care about their customers if they allow dealerships to take advantage of them.
If I was especially picky about the mark up, I'd just go with the BRZ. Unfortunately, I feel like Toyota makes so much money on other models, that they can almost justify mark up on lower volume cars and basically, "you're not their customer."

·
Vendor
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I was especially picky about the mark up, I'd just go with the BRZ. Unfortunately, I feel like Toyota makes so much money on other models, that they can almost justify mark up on lower volume cars and basically, "you're not their customer."
I can't get over the BRZ Overbite. I do love my Crosstrek though...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me neither, but I've been so frustrated with the purchasing process, that I thought about getting a BRZ and getting an aftermarket bumper or do something similar.
I'm in the same boat. I've been on a waiting list since November for a GR86 Premium MT in Track bRed but no luck. Even widened my choices but still wanted the higher end model and in red. I ended up putting in an order for a 2023 Limited BRZ in Ignition Red. At least I know I'll have something close to what I want on the way.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR 86, Pavement Grey, Premium, MT
428 Posts
Way back when I started looking for a GR86 and there were lots of outrageous markups starting I contacted Toyota. At that time they just punted me back to those dealers to work out a deal. Nothing else really said.

·
Vendor
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Way back when I started looking for a GR86 and there were lots of outrageous markups starting I contacted Toyota. At that time they just punted me back to those dealers to work out a deal. Nothing else really said.
I know, they did it to me too because I was just one man. If we can all message them... then hopefully they MIGHT actually go... well, shit... maybe there is a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I remember a few weeks back when Toyota took the wraps off the GR Corolla and there were so many posts stating the GR Yaris, Gr86 and GR Corolla are evidence that Toyota cares about auto enthusiasts; and then just recently on another site, how GM doesn't care about the Camaro since it appears it will soon be cancelled. One always has to keep in mind at the end of the day, these are corporations that exist to make a profit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As good as the idea sounds, I'm not sure it would do much unless Toyota is feeling the effect (i.e. losing sales). At the end of the day people are willing to pay markup and Toyota isn't having a hard time selling these cars. And as the consumer, we aren't being forced to buy these cars above MSRP. We have the option to just say no thanks and go to another dealer.. There's plenty of dealers out there that do sell at MSRP if people are willing to wait. Problem is people don't want to wait, but also don't want to pay the cost of not having to wait so they get upset. Or they are only willing to buy if it's convenient to them, when there are others who are willing to fly across the country to buy their car. My 2 cents is just keep moving on to the next dealer selling at MSRP or be willing to go out of your way to get one without markup. That's just how the market is right now and unless things start to change and supply chain problems start to subside, it may not change for awhile.

·
Registered
2022 Neptune GR86- Base
37 Posts
As good as the idea sounds, I'm not sure it would do much unless Toyota is feeling the effect (i.e. losing sales). At the end of the day people are willing to pay markup and Toyota isn't having a hard time selling these cars. And as the consumer, we aren't being forced to buy these cars above MSRP. We have the option to just say no thanks and go to another dealer.. There's plenty of dealers out there that do sell at MSRP if people are willing to wait. Problem is people don't want to wait, but also don't want to pay the cost of not having to wait so they get upset. Or they are only willing to buy if it's convenient to them, when there are others who are willing to fly across the country to buy their car. My 2 cents is just keep moving on to the next dealer selling at MSRP or be willing to go out of your way to get one without markup. That's just how the market is right now and unless things start to change and supply chain problems start to subside, it may not change for awhile.
I completely agree...that said, I'm still happy I just bit the bullet...paid a little more but got my hands on one and I've been hella happy with it. Would have preferred a MT Premium but my AT Base in the Trueno Blue is fine enough. Really it's everyone looking for one or waiting on one that made me go ahead and pay a little more. They are pretty difficult to find and especially in the blue. If I had to go back and do it again knowing what I know now, I would probably shop around more but as I said I'm still happy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I completely agree...that said, I'm still happy I just bit the bullet...paid a little more but got my hands on one and I've been hella happy with it. Would have preferred a MT Premium but my AT Base in the Trueno Blue is fine enough. Really it's everyone looking for one or waiting on one that made me go ahead and pay a little more. They are pretty difficult to find and especially in the blue. If I had to go back and do it again knowing what I know now, I would probably shop around more but as I said I'm still happy.
The day I put down a deposit for an 86 was the day I found out Subaru canceled the 22 BRZ orders. If I hadn't gotten that one, I was more than prepared to wait for the '23 BRZ for MSRP. Granted, this was back in January, right before demand for these cars just blew up. FOMO is real right now.

·
Vendor
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you guys are missing the point. The manufacturers have the ability to make policy changes that can require dealerships to conform to no mark-ups or limited mark-ups. I am on the list with the few dealerships that have MSRP and I have been waiting for months with literally no progress... but as a group we shouldn't have to look so fucking hard for an MSRP car. Their excuses is "It's just the market", but it's literally just the dealerships standing together to fuck the market whichever way they choose.

I am a realist... I don't expect to enact change as a single person... I am saying that our collective voice together can ACTUALLY have the potential to be noticed by Corporate. If we stand idly by and say nothing then we can't fault Toyota NA for not doing a damn thing about it. I would rather DO SOMETHING... then do nothing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point. The manufacturers have the ability to make policy changes that can require dealerships to conform to no mark-ups or limited mark-ups. I am on the list with the few dealerships that have MSRP and I have been waiting for months with literally no progress... but as a group we shouldn't have to look so fucking hard for an MSRP car. Their excuses is "It's just the market", but it's literally just the dealerships standing together to fuck the market whichever way they choose.

I am a realist... I don't expect to enact change as a single person... I am saying that our collective voice together can ACTUALLY have the potential to be noticed by Corporate. If we stand idly by and say nothing then we can't fault Toyota NA for not doing a damn thing about it. I would rather DO SOMETHING... then do nothing.
It sucks that's how it is right now, but even if Toyota steps in and enacts something, would that honestly change anything? If every available 86 out there right now was magically at MSRP, would that solve the supply shortage issue and everyone who's been waiting would instantly be able to find one? I think not.

The reality is, for every one person struggling to find a car and being upset enough to complain, there's 10 others that have found one at MSRP or are willing to wait

In the 22+ facebook group, there is a google sheet where people can record where they bought their car and how much they paid for it. At the moment there are about 115 replies, and out of those 115, only 22 paid above MSRP. This tells me there are still plenty of dealerships around the country selling cars at or even below MSRP. People just have to be willing to wait. This isn't a Toyota problem either. This applies to pretty much every major car manufacturer selling within the US right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It sucks that's how it is right now, but even if Toyota steps in and enacts something, would that honestly change anything? If every available 86 out there right now was magically at MSRP, would that solve the supply shortage issue and everyone who's been waiting would instantly be able to find one? I think not.

The reality is, for every one person struggling to find a car and being upset enough to complain, there's 10 others that have found one at MSRP or are willing to wait

In the 22+ facebook group, there is a google sheet where people can record where they bought their car and how much they paid for it. At the moment there are about 115 replies, and out of those 115, only 22 paid above MSRP. This tells me there are still plenty of dealerships around the country selling cars at or even below MSRP. People just have to be willing to wait. This isn't a Toyota problem either. This applies to pretty much every major car manufacturer selling within the US right now.
I think you nailed the route of the problem. It's a US issue not a Toyota issue. In Canada dealers can't sell the car (new) for over the advertised sale price. I pick any dealer I want, walk in pay msrp, walk out.

·
Vendor
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I completely agree that it's not going to change much for the time being... it probably won't help anyone looking for a 2022 and it certainly won't help me. Change is slow... nothing happens overnight, but it is easier to enact change with one manufacturer than it is to enact change with ALL of them. In truth, what's hurting us as consumers is the FTC laws that prohibit manufacturers from selling directly to consumers. To fight those laws would be to have to get politicians involved and that's going to be an uphill battle from the start.

I understand that there are dealerships that are offering MSRP (I am a contributor to markups.org) but aside from a handful of them here in SoCal, we're surrounded by the $5-15k mark-up. That means that every person in the area is limited to the allocations that are received by those handful of MSRP dealerships unless you're willing to pay ridiculous mark-ups. That DRASTICALLY limits what becomes available to the community who isn't willing to pay $47 OTD for a GR86 Premium MT because the dealership literally called it the "Lamborghini or GR86's."

If all dealerships had to play at MSRP then every allocation would be available to everyone on an even playing field.

I know that the chances of making ANY change at all is slim to none. At the same time, I am not the type of person that sees and just accepts a shitty situation. As I said before.. I would rather do SOMETHING... rather than sit and do NOTHING.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts