Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My fellow GR86 enthusiasts in California, do any of you know a decent race track that I would be able to take my GR86 for a ride? [free, paid tracks]
I'm in SoCal!
It'll be my first time and I'm not sure what to expect:
  • Cost for the track
  • Buy additional wheels? If so, which would be a good economic choice [not looking to drift atm]

Also for the NASA membership, how will people in California benefit from it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Choppr

There are plenty of race tracks in Socal as you are in the perfect location. I actually work for NASA and help manage the Toyota Program. Once you take delivery of your GR86 you will receive a welcome package from Toyota with a special link and code to redeem your NASA Membership and HPDE day. You will be presented with a list of tracks/dates and you can select there.

If you want to go sooner, depending on the sanctioning body the prices vary per track. Typically its about 200-400 a day. If you are a beginner, you will be paired with an instructor that goes over basics, flags, proper lines, etiquette, etc... its not about going fast in the beginning. the NASA HPDE program will teach you how to drive your car fast and safe on track.

List of popular Socal Tracks

Buttonwillow Raceway Park
Willow Springs/Streets of Willow
AutoClub Speedway
Chuckwalla Raceway
Apple Valley Raceway (primarily drifting)

There are a lot in CA but those are the closest to the area.

If you need more info please PM me and I will gladly help you out with any questions you have

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am also new. Do you know if it matters when we redeem the code? This will be my first manual so I want to give it a few months at least of me driving manual before I start driving track.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I am also new. Do you know if it matters when we redeem the code? This will be my first manual so I want to give it a few months at least of me driving manual before I start driving track.
Welcome to the forum @McLovin! Which GR86/BRZ are you planning on getting? I imagine there is a time limit on when you can redeem the membership but I don't think you have to do it as soon as you get your car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but are there any gr86/brz groups that regularly go to the track and/or canyons?

Also any recommendations for track helmets/prep for the brz? I’ve seen a lot of people mention switching to racing grade brake fluid and performance brake pads, is this really necessary or is that more for those looking to set track records? I’ve gone to a track day before when I had a mk7gti, but I’m definitely not an expert.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It should be 1 year from the date of purchase. That is how it was with the GR Supra so once the GR86 is out the final details will be communicated to new owners.

Not to hijack the thread, but are there any gr86/brz groups that regularly go to the track and/or canyons?

Also any recommendations for track helmets/prep for the brz? I’ve seen a lot of people mention switching to racing grade brake fluid and performance brake pads, is this really necessary or is that more for those looking to set track records? I’ve gone to a track day before when I had a mk7gti, but I’m definitely not an expert.
A first good upgrade would be DOT 5.1 brake fluid and higher performance pads (Hawk HP+ are a good start but offerings from CSG are excellent if you are getting serious)

for helmets you will need at least a minimum of SA rated helmets. Some sanctioning bodies allow for DOT or MA helmets and in my opinion that shouldn’t be allowed if you’re on the track.

When you buy your GR86 it will come with a NASA membership for 1 year. That NASA membership will get you some discounts on racing gear. You can find more info here Drivenasa.com/benefits

If you decide you want to continue driving in HPDE we have programs that allow you to get huge discounts of brake pads and tires. Prizes.drivenasa.com you can see HPDE specific programs towards the bottom.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome to the forum @McLovin! Which GR86/BRZ are you planning on getting? I imagine there is a time limit on when you can redeem the membership but I don't think you have to do it as soon as you get your car.
Thank you! I am getting a MT Premium Trueno Blue GR86.

It should be 1 year from the date of purchase. That is how it was with the GR Supra so once the GR86 is out the final details will be communicated to new owners.
Ah gotcha, thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts