Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

BRZ Sound system

17K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Hayze 
What I would like to know before my car arrives is how the sound system sounds? I know its not a super important aspect if this car, but Im curious. I have only seen 1 mention of it in a YouTube video. It was a limited with the 8 speaker system and they said it was pretty horrible. The car being designed with low weight in mind, i would assume the speakers are all small, thin and with little magnets. But I am hoping its adequate. Something that irks me as well, is that the gr86 can be optioned with the trunk mounted subwoofer and for whatever reason the BRZ cannot. That option used to be available on both cars. I am hoping the BRZ has the wiring already there and it can be a plug and play add on like it used to be. But anybody with an 8 speaker system out there, let us know what you think...!!

Well, I also am on the Supra forum, and there have been a lot of posts about how poor the subwoofer is. I think Toyota’s decision to pipe the exhaust sound through the speakers was a bad choice. There is a way to turn it off, but I think you have to ask the dealer. There is a guy who has been posting about his sound system build, and last time I looked, he had spent $6000. He also did a complete custom build throughout the car. I’ve had a lot of Toyota’s over the years, and the sound systems have always been their weak spot. They use JBL a lot, and I don’t care what people say, the speakers are crap. I changed the speakers in my 2013 Prius to the Hertz brand, and they are great.
From what I have read the pumped in sound on the BRZ\86 uses its own separate speaker. I have not seen anyone confirm this yet.

Honestly from what ive heard the speakers are pretty mid. Im most likely going to be changing them in the first couple of months because i love good sound quality. But i do think it should be plug n play with the sub but im not 100%
So, I had to find out. I just called my dealership and spoke to my sales woman. She looked in the dealer oder system, talked to service and parts. They have nothing for adding the factory sub at the moment. It may become available, but isnt now. Pretty weird that toyota has it right on their configurator page. It absolutely will work. May have to do it myself down the road. its not hard. Pull some trim, plug and play.

It costs more to have it bought later and installed by the dealer. As a factory option, I would get it. Since it doesn't come that way currently, I will likely but it later be it from Subaru or Toyota. I will install it myself for sure though. I dont trust techs to work on my cars at all, especially interior bits. They work fast and carelessly. The goal is to get the most work done in the least amount of time. Unless it is some kind of major problem that requires a fix under warranty, my vehicles never see a service center of any kind. I even mount and balance my own tires at my sons work. LOL

Ha. I'm sure you are nowhere near St. Louis.

That's the place with the arch and the Cardinals.
Eh. Its about a 4hr ride. I go there every so often. I do a lot of the fun ford weekend races and the world ford challenge at Gateway Motorsports park and World Wide Tech raceway. I live in Joliet IL not far from Route 66 raceway.

from what someone posted regarding an 86, the wires were not already present for the advertised subwoofer. SO looks liek it wont just be a plug and play situation once they become available. The poster has a base model, but i dont expect the premiums to have the wiring either
After some digging around ot looks like it was not just plug and play even on the gen 1 cars. Some of the dash has to come apart, pull the head unit and run some wiring to the back. Not too big of a deal. I still like that idea better than running a stand alone sub and have to deal with wiring through the firewall all the way to the trunk. The wiring involved is the factory system all has harnesses that just plug in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.