Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so im not sure if anyone know the correct answer but i saw on subaru’s website that both the limited and the premium recieve the 8 speaker configuration. Compared to toyota where the base model gets a 6 speaker config. And only their premium receives the 8 speaker config. Is this just a win for the base subarus over the base toyotas?
Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Logo

·
Registered
115 Posts
Okay so im not sure if anyone know the correct answer but i saw on subaru’s website that both the limited and the premium recieve the 8 speaker configuration. Compared to toyota where the base model gets a 6 speaker config. And only their premium receives the 8 speaker config. Is this just a win for the base subarus over the base toyotas? View attachment 2986
We believe the website is incorrect. The brochure states the Limited has 8 speakers and the Premium has 6 speakers.

Get the brochure here:

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I didn’t say, but another reason we believe the website is wrong, is because the parts diagram shows 2 less speakers in the Premium trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I know you weren't, I was just saying Toyota's was probably wrong as well because it makes more sense that base would have 6 and the higher trim would have 8. Or do you think Toyota would give both trims 8?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Both BRZ Premium and Limited equivalents in Australia only get the 6 speaker setup it seems :(. Would have been good to see the 8 speaker in the top spec to separate them a little more.
There is almost nothing between the two BRZ's on sale here aside from the seats. Mind you there's only AUD$1200 difference.

Might be another point of difference in Australia if Toyota decide to include an 8 speaker system in the top spec GR86 here (or in both) ...will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
Ordered: '22 LTD AT Sapphire Blue Pearl
88 Posts
What does Subaru mean when they say in the brochure for the Limited "8 speakers and 2-channel amplifier"? I would hope both models have a 2-channel amplifier. :unsure:

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
78 Posts
What I would like to know before my car arrives is how the sound system sounds? I know its not a super important aspect if this car, but Im curious. I have only seen 1 mention of it in a YouTube video. It was a limited with the 8 speaker system and they said it was pretty horrible. The car being designed with low weight in mind, i would assume the speakers are all small, thin and with little magnets. But I am hoping its adequate. Something that irks me as well, is that the gr86 can be optioned with the trunk mounted subwoofer and for whatever reason the BRZ cannot. That option used to be available on both cars. I am hoping the BRZ has the wiring already there and it can be a plug and play add on like it used to be. But anybody with an 8 speaker system out there, let us know what you think...!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I would like to know before my car arrives is how the sound system sounds? I know its not a super important aspect if this car, but Im curious. I have only seen 1 mention of it in a YouTube video. It was a limited with the 8 speaker system and they said it was pretty horrible. The car being designed with low weight in mind, i would assume the speakers are all small, thin and with little magnets. But I am hoping its adequate. Something that irks me as well, is that the gr86 can be optioned with the trunk mounted subwoofer and for whatever reason the BRZ cannot. That option used to be available on both cars. I am hoping the BRZ has the wiring already there and it can be a plug and play add on like it used to be. But anybody with an 8 speaker system out there, let us know what you think...!!
Honestly from what ive heard the speakers are pretty mid. Im most likely going to be changing them in the first couple of months because i love good sound quality. But i do think it should be plug n play with the sub but im not 100%

·
Registered
268 Posts
Honestly from what ive heard the speakers are pretty mid. Im most likely going to be changing them in the first couple of months because i love good sound quality. But i do think it should be plug n play with the sub but im not 100%
Well, I also am on the Supra forum, and there have been a lot of posts about how poor the subwoofer is. I think Toyota’s decision to pipe the exhaust sound through the speakers was a bad choice. There is a way to turn it off, but I think you have to ask the dealer. There is a guy who has been posting about his sound system build, and last time I looked, he had spent $6000. He also did a complete custom build throughout the car. I’ve had a lot of Toyota’s over the years, and the sound systems have always been their weak spot. They use JBL a lot, and I don’t care what people say, the speakers are crap. I changed the speakers in my 2013 Prius to the Hertz brand, and they are great.

·
Registered
‘22 CWP BRZ Ordered
72 Posts
Well, I also am on the Supra forum, and there have been a lot of posts about how poor the subwoofer is. I think Toyota’s decision to pipe the exhaust sound through the speakers was a bad choice. There is a way to turn it off, but I think you have to ask the dealer. There is a guy who has been posting about his sound system build, and last time I looked, he had spent $6000. He also did a complete custom build throughout the car. I’ve had a lot of Toyota’s over the years, and the sound systems have always been their weak spot. They use JBL a lot, and I don’t care what people say, the speakers are crap. I changed the speakers in my 2013 Prius to the Hertz brand, and they are great.
Can agree first hand lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
From what I have read the pumped in sound on the BRZ\86 uses its own separate speaker. I have not seen anyone confirm this yet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So, I had to find out. I just called my dealership and spoke to my sales woman. She looked in the dealer oder system, talked to service and parts. They have nothing for adding the factory sub at the moment. It may become available, but isnt now. Pretty weird that toyota has it right on their configurator page. It absolutely will work. May have to do it myself down the road. its not hard. Pull some trim, plug and play.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, I had to find out. I just called my dealership and spoke to my sales woman. She looked in the dealer oder system, talked to service and parts. They have nothing for adding the factory sub at the moment. It may become available, but isnt now. Pretty weird that toyota has it right on their configurator page. It absolutely will work. May have to do it myself down the road. its not hard. Pull some trim, plug and play.
Or I was thinking maybe take it over to the Toyota dealer and have them install theirs.

·
Registered
22 BRZ
104 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
It costs more to have it bought later and installed by the dealer. As a factory option, I would get it. Since it doesn't come that way currently, I will likely but it later be it from Subaru or Toyota. I will install it myself for sure though. I dont trust techs to work on my cars at all, especially interior bits. They work fast and carelessly. The goal is to get the most work done in the least amount of time. Unless it is some kind of major problem that requires a fix under warranty, my vehicles never see a service center of any kind. I even mount and balance my own tires at my sons work. LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts