Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
442 Posts
I'll reserve judgement till I'm in the car.

I'll probably keep it because I like to hear whats going on with the engine pretty acutely, and its definitely louder when enhanced.

·
Super Moderator
442 Posts
I lot of the press liked the noise. It is still based on real-time frequency information from a real physical engine that is responding dynamically in a real physical environment.

This isn't video game sound.

When you hit the ripple strip you will hear the change in engine harmonics, which will be different depending on if you are accelerating, braking, doing whatever. The 'stress' on the engine from vehicle dynamics will be utterly authentic because its singing the engines song, even if that song isn't in the same pitch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I lot of the press liked the noise. It is still based on real-time frequency information from a real physical engine that is responding dynamically in a real physical environment.

This isn't video game sound.

When you hit the ripple strip you will hear the change in engine harmonics, which will be different depending on if you are accelerating, braking, doing whatever. The 'stress' on the engine from vehicle dynamics will be utterly authentic because its singing the engines song, even if that song isn't in the same pitch.
I thought the noise wasn't liked in most of the YouTube videos I've watched which I think is just about all of them hehe.

It's the only part of the car I'm really not a fan of either, it sounds way too high pitched and surprisingly doesn't seem to have any offbeat boxer noise to it either. To me it sounds like an early Nintendo simulation of an RX8 rotary engine.

But it's great if it can be easily disconnected, albeit would have been better as an option in the setup menu which surely can't be hard or costly for Toyota to do.

·
Registered
313 Posts
From utube videos I've seen its looks like its about 50/50 on the like dislike. The problem is that Utube videos do not always convey the sound properly. The only accurate way is to either drive or be a passenger before deciding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, why not pipe in some exhaust fumes as well so it smells like a sports car too. It’s just a ridiculous feature. Tesla’s farting option makes more sense than either this speaker fake noise or the piped in noise.
The FA20 sounded like it was falling apart anyway at high revs; the rattling piped in intake noise made it even more gruesome when you were wringing it out. I bet it would make sense when you were driving for the Spanish Inquisition.

·
Super Moderator
442 Posts
I thought the noise wasn't liked in most of the YouTube videos I've watched which I think is just about all of them hehe.

It's the only part of the car I'm really not a fan of either, it sounds way too high pitched and surprisingly doesn't seem to have any offbeat boxer noise to it either. To me it sounds like an early Nintendo emulation of an RX8 rotary engine.

But it's great if it can be easily disconnected, albeit would have been better as an option in the setup menu which surely can't be hard or costly for Toyota to do.
The offbeat noise is from an unequal length header, which older (from 86 FA engine) boxers would use due to packaging and other stuff. EUL headers are not ideal, but they are characterful.

Regardless of the sound enhances, you wont find that off offbeat noise unless you change the headers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's not as much the existence that bothers me as much as the ability to control the volume or turn it off easily. Hopefully someone can come up with an aftermarket box to modify it if it can't be hacked somehow.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well of course sound is in the Eye of the "listener". Matt Farrah of the Smoking Tire really likes the noise artificial or not as did Kristen Lee of "The Drive". In fact she mentioned that the noise distinguishes the BRZ/GR86 from other 4 cylinder engines out in the market(mentioning Honda)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will give it a try and see how I like it, BUT knowing that it is fake is just a deal-breaker for me. It could sound great but knowing it did not come from the car's engines seems like a waste. It is like watching a movie and hearing the screeching noise of a tire stopping on pavement and seeing the car stop in gravel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I will give it a try and see how I like it, BUT knowing that it is fake is just a deal-breaker for me. It could sound great but knowing it did not come from the car's engines seems like a waste. It is like watching a movie and hearing the screeching noise of a tire stopping on pavement and seeing the car stop in gravel.
I totally wish we could turn it on and off ourselves. So dumb. It would be an easy update to put in the radio. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a similar feature in my Focus RS and it was easily disabled by unplugging a connector to a small amplifier in the trunk. I'm hoping it will be similar in the BRZ. In principle, the fake noise annoys me, but in practice, it isn't that bad. Anectode though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have listened to this audio over and over again. The fake sound gives the engine similar harmonics but just more body to the noise. I decided that I like it. I will make a final determination when I actually drive the car. I also think it makes the engine distinctive from other 4 cylinder engines on the market. I definitely think it sounds better than a Miata engine noise. Owning a Fiat 500 Abarth (which I think has the best stock noise of any turbo four out on the market),this sounds pretty good to me. I've never been a fan of turbo BOV's and I think Toyota and Subaru have nailed it with its free revving nature and noise. I think going with an exhaust would probably neutralize this intake noise. From the other video on HKS it barely added any power while I admit it sounded good. The problem with a lot of this A/M exhausts is that they add a lot of drone at highway speeds. It seems to me the logical option would be to do an ECU tune and leave it at that.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts