Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you are already aware the 2022 BRZs and GR86s have speakers in the interior which replicate and ‘beef’ up the engine sound. Whilst it’s not yet clear how the speakers are turned on or off, this video gives a pretty example of how different they sound when the engine speakers are on and off.

Happy to be corrected if any of my information is incorrect.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The problem is that while the natural non-enhanced engine noise might sound OK versus piped in noise it is so quiet that it takes away from the sports car experience for me. The piped in noise at least sounds distinctive and it does take on a flat four growl. That distinguishes it from other turbo fours and a Miata engine. Turning off the piped in sound makes the engine have such a quiet demeanor that you could be it could be from any econo car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I much preferred when active sound control was off, personally. With the sound on it really does sound too artificial. I'd probably have been completely fine with the speaker audio had it not sounded so synthetic. This side by side really shows how different natural vs synthetic sounds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The start of the clip has video & audio out of sync, but from then on, it is a good comparison. I personally prefer the active sound control OFF for daily driving, but can imagine days when I want it ON to have a more lively experience in the car. Why Toybaru cannot make this a simple on/off switch in the infotainment system?

The only logic I can see, they do not want to point at something artificial in their pure driver's car experience and keep it purposely under the radar.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The reality of this was that this is an "old school" sports car. However, I assume to keep costs down to a minimum it was cheaper for them to go for an active sound system then to properly engineer in intake natural noise. This has obviously been left to the aftermarket to take care of. Without the pipped in sound the car's natural sound is heard. The problem is that it is simply too quiet for a sportscar.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Of course we are hearing it from a video so that may be why the engine sounds so much quieter with the sound off. Does not look like Toyota or Subaru are giving an optional on/off switch for the US cars so that may be an after market fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't mind it. The more evident problem is the tach not syncing with the noise is a much bigger problem.
In the reviews from the track circuit I didn't spot any tach lags, only slower shifter indication for the manual. That sync problem seems more like an issue from the editing of the video. Different parts of the clip have different lags between the sound and the tachometer (and the first part is even mislabeled). So I would chalk that up to a poor syncing of the external mic and the camera.

·
Registered
2023 Toyota GR ハチロク
291 Posts
In the reviews from the track circuit I didn't spot any tach lags, only slower shifter indication for the manual. That sync problem seems more like an issue from the editing of the video. Different parts of the clip have different lags between the sound and the tachometer (and the first part is even mislabeled). So I would chalk that up to a poor syncing of the external mic and the camera.
It's interesting that the person who did the editing did say there was lag in the tach. I had the Youtube translator on since I didn't understand Japanese lol. I hope that is the case and we don't know if the car is a pre production model or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's interesting that the person who did the editing did say there was lag in the tach. I had the Youtube translator on since I didn't understand Japanese lol. I hope that is the case and we don't know if the car is a pre production model or not.
I don't understand Japanese either :) but from the translation the person said that the active sound is out of sync not the tach per se. What gives me hope is the part 1:50 - 2:38 where the tach movement is perfectly in sync, and coincidentally that part has a loud turn signal sound in it, so the editor had an easy job syncing the video and sound together, not the case with the other parts of the video. So I still think it is a sloppy editing, nobody would tolerate 0.5 second lag.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd probably turn it off most of the time, but if you are going to have it would be funnier to have a soundfile that sounds like a truly glorious engine like a Busso V6 or a GT3's flat 6 or maybe a WRC Subaru would be more appropriate lol.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Of course we are hearing it from a video so that may be why the engine sounds so much quieter with the sound off. Does not look like Toyota or Subaru are giving an optional on/off switch for the US cars so that may be an after market fix.
According to the Supra group I was on, its not the real engine noise. Its only loud in sport mode. There’s a module in the trunk that can be unplugged. I’m gonna assume that its pretty similar in the GR86

1 - 20 of 42 Posts